What are the major differences between the pedals? Which one is most recommended?

I like playing a variety of music, a lot of Rush, as well as Megadeth, Iron Maiden, and Dream Theater.. someday

Which one is best for my tastes?

Boss DS-1 Distortion

Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion (Looking at this)

Boss ML-2 Metal Core

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
None of those will get you what you're looking for. Try getting a Big Muff, perhaps; it won't really do those bands that well, but it's miles better than what you've listed and will be a definite step up from your amp distortion.
You have the gain for all those, but the amp is the main downfall. You'll want to invest in a new one sooner or later...

You could probably get something decent with an EQ pedal into that amp, though. Boost those mids on insane, and it might not be THAT bad.

*The distortion from those pedal is probably going to be no different than the distortion presets found on the amp.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Jan 25, 2009,
Well, this is for the future. I'm DEFINITELY getting a new amp very soon.. as soon as I save up enough from work. Looking at a Peavy Vypyr Tube 120.
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
I beg to differ. I use my Metal Zone in combo with my wah on the clean channel of my amp and it works like a charm. I cant get any tone i Need from bluesy grit to low-down heavy metal, and it works like a charm.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I beg to differ. I use my Metal Zone in combo with my wah on the clean channel of my amp and it works like a charm. I cant get any tone i Need from bluesy grit to low-down heavy metal, and it works like a charm.
I very much doubt that
TS, Get a roland cube
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
I very much doubt that
TS, Get a roland cube

Yeah because you clearly know so much better what my setup sounds like than I do
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Yeah because you clearly know so much better what my setup sounds like than I do

I thought the distortion on my Crate 15 watt practice amp was fantastic, until I bought a DS-1. I thought the DS-1 was fantastic, until I got my valveking.

Chances are, it doesn't sound that good.
Chances are your full of **** since I've gotten it to mimic the exact tone of Blackened and King Nothing.
If TS gets a Vypyr It'll cover all those anyway
metalzones a fizzy sh*tbox
A metal muff might help now, but the spiders not gonna lke pedals very much period

Edit: chances are, It's not nearly as close as you think it is
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
*sighs*. I tried being nice about it, and explaining. Oh well, I guess some people are a little too close minded.
Get the MD-2 Mega Distortion. I have that pedal and I play all those bands you mentioned (or at least, I try to).
Get all of them, chain them together, and run them through an MG halfstack.
Your tone will be crushing!!!!

Seriousness: save for the vypyr
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by ShredGod George
Edit: chances are, It's not nearly as close as you think it is

No my headphones are just lying to me, I'm sure
Your headphones aren't 'lying' to you, you just haven't developed an ear for tone. And believe me, just when you think you have, you realise you're far from it. I can guarantee you that once I get an EQ for my valveking, I'll probably hate the tone without it.
To each his own. I like my tone. Other people like it. It does what I need it to, so there's no need to discount it just because I have an MT-2
Quote by michal23
Your headphones aren't 'lying' to you, you just haven't developed an ear for tone. And believe me, just when you think you have, you realise you're far from it. I can guarantee you that once I get an EQ for my valveking, I'll probably hate the tone without it.

like michal23 said,

Chances are you are probably far from the tone, and headphones sound a lot different than the actual thing. So before you try saying anything, think about it.

BTW, yeah once you get an EQ, you will hate the tone without it.
Quote by patbuck2
Get the MD-2 Mega Distortion. I have that pedal and I play all those bands you mentioned (or at least, I try to).

I sold it to him^^^

So I would also say the MD-2, great for Metal, the DS-1 is good, but can't get quite as heavy as the MD-2.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
the md-2 is the **** bro
it has such a badass range of distortion types,
its even got a knob for the highs and another one for the lows
and its even got a gain boost!
if ur going into distortion rock this is the pedal,
as long as u aint trying to get a blues or scandanevian metal sound
this is the pedal for everything in between
i would suggest, however, to look into other pedal brands besides boss,
everyones heres made good suggestions
some pedals even come with tubes built inside!
id suggest one of those
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2 12
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Jekyl and Hyde Ultimate Overvrive (the old school one)
I've got the ML-2 and it's pretty cool I guess.

I've never found an amp with more gain than the pedal so I like it.
Quote by patbuck2

+1, the MD-2 is a far better pedal then the others mentioned. (and to my ears, nails a lot of those tones that you're after)
If you want a good tone out of those pedals without modding them you'll need an EQ.

Id reccomend the DS-1 most, cheapest and most flexible with an eq. Try a fish and chips or behringer EQ (the yellow one) if you're on a budget
I love the MT-2 for playing metal.
You just get the ooomph behind it? Like.. when you play damped power chords or notes, you can just hear the bass behind it.

But yeah.. People have mixed opinions on the MT-2.. IMO it's a good pedal.
My friends often come round after playing on their distortion pedals.. and they all say they prefer mine.