Perhaps "irony" isn't the right word, but whatever.

Vinyl records, as some of you may have noticed, are coming back into fashion. I've seen new albums on sale in vinyl form. The reason? Since vinyls are analog, they're supposed to give a sound quality more closely resembling the original signal, when compared to digital CDs and MP3s.

HOWEVER
Since many, in fact most, of todays music recording is done digitally, wouldn't they just be writing a high-quality digital signal onto an analog medium?

Of course, some artists are totally vintage (and stinkin' rich) and use old tape decks for the job, but I doubt that is the case for the majority, who would use computer software.

So are new Vinyls all that analog, if the music is recorded digitally?
Usually those artists who record super digitally dont request analog vinyl format for release
You've got the right idea. It's worth noting that vinyls don't represent an analogue sound more closely to its source, either. Just because a medium is analogue doesn't mean it's more suited to an analogue source (ie. vinyl isn't necessarily better for 70s master tapes than CD - in fact it's not).
Quote by joshua122593
wat.

Seriously, let them do whatever they want with their records.

Way to miss out on the whole point of the thread

I have no idea if it's really analogue or not though. Well it's analogue but I don't know if it's capturing the same effect as a classic vinyl album would rather.
i think that many of the bands who release albums on vinyl still use tapes to record.

If you read the adventures of mixerman he talks about how he hates using a digital program to record as it flattens the sound, as he calls it. Now, I know that all of that was written about 4 or 5 years ago, but I feel it is still relevant.

However, you can still tell that the newer vinyl don't sound as full as the older vinyl.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
So Fall Out Boy's "Folie a Deux", Madonna's "Confessions on a Dancefloor", Daft Punk's "Discovery", Opeth's "Blackwater Park", Radiohead's "In Rainbows", among others, were recorded 100% analog?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Way to miss out on the whole point of the thread

I have no idea if it's really analogue or not though. Well it's analogue but I don't know if it's capturing the same effect as a classic vinyl album would rather.

Well, what is that classic vinyl album effect?

People who buy vinyls do so because they apparently sound better than CD's, the reason for that being that they are analog. Digital technology offers a numerical approximation of the signal.
Last edited by sashki at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by sashki
HOWEVER
Since many, in fact most, of todays music recording is done digitally, wouldn't they just be writing a high-quality digital signal onto an analog medium?

The reason vinyl is more true to the recorded sound is down to the fact it has an infinite, uncompressed bit rate. CDs and MP3s are compressed to smaller file sizes, making them more practical to transfer onto certain media players and when the file size is compressed the sound loses quality (more so with an MP3).

So basically, Vinyl is better quality due to the fact none of the audio is compressed. Obviously however, CDs and MP3s are much more practical, you're just sacrificing the quality for practicality.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
I love hittin up thrift stores and flea markets for old vinyl, vinyl rules!
I thought this was going to be about vinyl becoming popular because people think it is 'cool' although digital music is far more practical.

Last edited by 100%guitarmad at Jan 25, 2009,
Professionnal-grade Digital Recording Equipement have a sample rate which is WAAAAAAYYYYYY more than what a CD can take.

Vinyl simply has no sample rate, no compression. So yeah there's a difference even if the recording was made was digital equipment.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Meh people are more used to mp3s nowadays so I doubt very many people even notice the sound clipping that happens when something is put into mp3.

I have a friend who buys special edition vinyls even though he doesn't have a record player! For the collectability i guess
Quote by Johnny Trash
The reason vinyl is more true to the recorded sound is down to the fact it has an infinite, uncompressed bit rate. CDs and MP3s are compressed to smaller file sizes, making them more practical to transfer onto certain media players and when the file size is compressed the sound loses quality (more so with an MP3).

So basically, Vinyl is better quality due to the fact none of the audio is compressed. Obviously however, CDs and MP3s are much more practical, you're just sacrificing the quality for practicality.

It's still recorded in digital form, between 24 and 32 bits (64 if you're rich).
Even though that gives a LOT of depth, it's still not analogue, which is what people seek in buying vinyls.
vinyal kicks ass
Quote by tancanada
He's from Arkansas. Of course he wants to eat it.

Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

Quote by ikitson
im drunk idc

( . Y . )
Quote by Johnny Trash
The reason vinyl is more true to the recorded sound is down to the fact it has an infinite, uncompressed bit rate. CDs and MP3s are compressed to smaller file sizes

CDs are lossless, no bitrate compression per se. And a high quality (256-320kbps) MP3 is almost indiscernible from CD even on the highest quality audio systems.

Perhaps what you're getting at is a fundamental difference between digital and anlogue, that being the sample rate of the sound output? True, analogue has an infinite number of 'frames' but this is true only in the same way as a film camera has an infinite number of pixels. It's not fair to compare the two, and extensive studies have proved that humans cannot tell the difference between a true lossless sample rate and a CD sample raterate.

Quote by Johnny Trash
So basically, Vinyl is better quality due to the fact none of the audio is compressed. blah blah blah

Facepalm for reasons described above. A lossless digital audio file (FLAC, WAV, SHN etc etc etc) is better quality in every way than vinyl - cleaner sound, more dynamic range, not susceptible to pops and clicks etc. The sample rate compression on digital files is not noticable to humans.
Last edited by Jake™ at Jan 25, 2009,
I think the reason might be the opposite -ie: that LP's 'colour' the sound more than CD's (which are more of a clearer, clinical accurate representation of the sound). so they give it a bit more character. It's a bit like playing your guitar though a DI box compared to playing it though a valve amp.
Quote by sashki
It's still recorded in digital form, between 24 and 32 bits (64 if you're rich).
Even though that gives a LOT of depth, it's still not analogue, which is what people seek in buying vinyls.

True, but CD is compressed 16 bit, therefore even if the tracks are recorded to 24 bits or above you're still losing quality when it's burned to CD, whereas with vinyl you're not losing anything.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
I think you overestimate why people are buying up vinyl - I myself like the idea of vinyl for reasons other than its quality. Frankly, i think a lot of the appeal of it is simply that it's different

Silly as it may seem, not everyone buys it for the sound quality...
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by cmakkidguitar
I think you overestimate why people are buying up vinyl - I myself like the idea of vinyl for reasons other than its quality. Frankly, i think a lot of the appeal of it is simply that it's different

Silly as it may seem, not everyone buys it for the sound quality...

Not everyone buys it at all, but it's becoming popular.

Apart from nostalgia and analogness, vinyls have absolutely no advantages over CD's. There's gotta be SOME reason they're becoming popular.

Some "experts" have predicted that the CD will die out before the vinyl.
It's a fashion statement.

The quality of a vinyl is slightly better than that of a CD, because of the uncompresses analogue nature of the audio on it, but, unless you are using a very high-quality sound system the difference is not noticable, and after a few plays a vinyl's quality starts to deteriorate, which a CD's does not.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by sashki
Not everyone buys it at all, but it's becoming popular.

Apart from nostalgia and analogness, vinyls have absolutely no advantages over CD's. There's gotta be SOME reason they're becoming popular.

Some "experts" have predicted that the CD will die out before the vinyl.

Yeah that's what i'm saying - the reason people are buying it may not be what you see as necessarily an 'advantage' over CD's - it may just be the simple fact they like the idea of it - it's different?
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

lossless FLAC files beat all, i must say, but the massive sizes (about 30 Megs for 3 minutes or so) is a lil hefty. but all my lossless Opeth tracks sound amazing thru my sound system. Ill never buy a CD now that i found them.
The sound of vinyl compared to mp3 is vastly superior and extremely noticeable.

I started collecting vinyl this summer with the help of my parents, because I wanted the whole experience of listening to the music while looking at the cover. It definitely puts the music in a much better context. Also, I believe music should be listened to in the album format. Whereas an artist should not be judged simply on a song-by-song basis, but rather as a whole, unified effort.

I have something like 53 albums now. Still got a lot more to buy.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Quote by sashki
Perhaps "irony" isn't the right word, but whatever.

Vinyl records, as some of you may have noticed, are coming back into fashion. I've seen new albums on sale in vinyl form. The reason? Since vinyls are analog, they're supposed to give a sound quality more closely resembling the original signal, when compared to digital CDs and MP3s.

HOWEVER

Of course, some artists are totally vintage (and stinkin' rich) and use old tape decks for the job, but I doubt that is the case for the majority, who would use computer software.

So are new Vinyls all that analog, if the music is recorded digitally?

I've thought the same thing myself. However, I think it's logical to assume the retro hipster indie types who do this have also used analogue recording gear, so it's OK.

What DOES amuse me, however, is that the production standards on such albums are usually so awful that the analogue snobbery is pointless anyhow Now you can hear that badly-mic'd guitar and flat snare in warm, clear vinyl tone!

Seriously, people make such a big deal about the quality of the medium, when the truth is most music just sounds crap in the first place.
Last edited by Vermintide at Jan 25, 2009,
Clearly they dont record at 128kbs....
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
many new vinyl releases have a download link included, so you may have the album in an mp3 form for your computer, and to burn onto cd if you wish.

I prefer buying vinyls simply because they look nicer than CDs, its nicer to hold in your hands (in my opinion), and it just makes it a little bit more special. For something that in most cases is only a quid or two more than the CD, i think its well worth it. Besides, if you really want the mp3 form, its so easy to download with all the torrenting software around.

if you want a noticeably better quality than cd, then you need a good sound system all round, which costs lots of money, its not just about going vinyl. However, i buy vinyl for a different reason!
Most artists would record digitally I would assume, but artists like Bruce Springsteen, U2, Aerosmtih etc who probably own original analog desks would record using analog. That's just basless assumption though.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by spitfirehicks
many new vinyl releases have a download link included, so you may have the album in an mp3 form for your computer, and to burn onto cd if you wish.

I prefer buying vinyls simply because they look nicer than CDs, its nicer to hold in your hands (in my opinion), and it just makes it a little bit more special. For something that in most cases is only a quid or two more than the CD, i think its well worth it. Besides, if you really want the mp3 form, its so easy to download with all the torrenting software around.

if you want a noticeably better quality than cd, then you need a good sound system all round, which costs lots of money, its not just about going vinyl. However, i buy vinyl for a different reason!

This is what i was referring to when i said not everyone buys it for what you see as advantages over CD - there's just something about vinyl
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

No one seriously puts out albums on vinyl anymore though. They'll do a limited run of them to be a bit poncey but anyone with sense will buy the CD of it. Longevity > negligible sound quality.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.