hey, i'll explain my situation first:

when i first got my POD XT (november), i was using it as my playback device, and for monitoring i was using two practice amps, a guitar and a bass one. this was a very akward setup, and so for christmas, where i didnt have much to spend since i just made a fairly big investment, i wanted to get something to change my rig. all i could afford were <$50 computer speakers (creative labs 2.1). obviously, these types of speakers arent exactly designed for what i do, compared to studio monitors. because of this, i've decided that the next thing i'll save for is some good active studio monitors.

would it be stupid to get a pair of studio monitors in the $150 range, seeing as how thats pretty low end? should i save my ass off till i can get some reallly good ones? any specific recommendations? thanks

EDIT: a subwoofer output would also be nice
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
hey, i'll explain my situation first:

when i first got my POD XT (november), i was using it as my playback device, and for monitoring i was using two practice amps, a guitar and a bass one. this was a very akward setup, and so for christmas, where i didnt have much to spend since i just made a fairly big investment, i wanted to get something to change my rig. all i could afford were <$50 computer speakers (creative labs 2.1). obviously, these types of speakers arent exactly designed for what i do, compared to studio monitors. because of this, i've decided that the next thing i'll save for is some good active studio monitors.

would it be stupid to get a pair of studio monitors in the $150 range, seeing as how thats pretty low end? should i save my ass off till i can get some reallly good ones? any specific recommendations? thanks

I dont think you can get active monitors for that much. The low end ones are KRK rp5 and M-audio bx5 and those are about $300 a pair? A lot of these monitors are priced individually, so it can be misleading thinking its a pair when its really not. Just my $0.02
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
idk, i thought there were some cheap ones like http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fostex-PM0.4-Powered-Studio-Monitors?sku=600682 that i believe come in pairs, after reading the product description, but i dont even know if the ones in that price range are even worth checking out.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
idk, i thought there were some cheap ones like http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fostex-PM0.4-Powered-Studio-Monitors?sku=600682 that i believe come in pairs, after reading the product description, but i dont even know if the ones in that price range are even worth checking out.

I scrolled down in the link and there's a M-audio pair for $150.....
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
I'm using the PM.04's at the moment and they aren't bad for how big they are. They should be great for the pod, but sometimes its impossible to hear the low e of a bass guitar through them.

Still, they're good for the size/price.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by FischmungaXTR
I'm using the PM.04's at the moment and they aren't bad for how big they are. They should be great for the pod, but sometimes its impossible to hear the low e of a bass guitar through them.

Still, they're good for the size/price.

sounds pretty good. i play bass also through the pod, but i have a subwoofer that could help me out with adding a little juice.

Quote by occub
I scrolled down in the link and there's a M-audio pair for $150.....

hmm, those look good also. i'll definitely check them out when i have the money. i have another question, is there any way i can EQ all of my computer playback with some free software or something?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 25, 2009,
bump
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
-1 for bumping.

I have a set of M-Audio Studiophiles ($150 for my set, there's a range of different models). No subwoofer, but that was a plus for me. Uses a rear set bass reflex system to get some pretty impressive bass response and clarity.

I like them, they're clear and responsive and cheap. I play my synth and music through them and I've had no reason to complain. Consider them recommended.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
yea i got m-audio AV40 studiophile, was 150 euro for them, they are good for the money
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard