Page 1 of 2
Just as the title says. I'm tired of always listening to the same stuff and I want some new things to branch out too. I mainly listen to Born of Osiris, Alexisonfire, stuff like that, but I'm tired of it. I need some bands that are more....out there I guess, just something completely outta left field at Wrigley (cubs rule!)
Quote by el-ECTRO
If your child can breathe, suspect drugs. Only people who breathe take drugs. People who cannot breathe still can, but it is increasingly difficult.
- Les Paul & Mary Ford
- Chet Atkins

- Merle Travis
- Django Reinhardt
- Brad Paisley
- Michelle Branch
- Jessica Harp
- Vanessa Carlton
- Dixie Chicks
- Sheryl Crow
- Tommy Emmanuel

I had a whole thread dedicated to my boredom of guitar-based music but these guys in the list are the only guys I can still listen to (minus the pop-rock artists listed above)
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jan 25, 2009,
"Let the Drummer Kick" - Citizen Cope

^---listen
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
incubus!!! rocks
Epiphone SG G-400
Coloursound Wah
Marshall MG100 DFX
Vemon V10
Custom made acoustic
Cocaine - Eric Clapton
Date Rape - Sublime
Captain Morgan's Revenge - Alestorm
Pardon Me - Incubus
Shit Catapult - Iiro Rantala New Trio

That should be some different types of music you could try. If you like any of it, go from there.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Last edited by Ticket48 at Jan 25, 2009,
Exit Ten are out there! would recommend warriors, fine night and resume ignore as some of there best.
Burny LG75-GR
Epi SG Pro 1966 Ltd Ed
PRS Angelus SE Custom

Korg Pandora effect unit (for practising)
Slash CryBaby
Blackstar HT-5
Korg RC2 Looooooper
Nope - 95% of guitar players haven't even heard a Les Paul tune, even though most guitarists either start out with a Strat of some sort or a Les Paul. A lot of you should be ashamed of yourself.

Here are some tunes of Les, Chet and Merle:
- http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlG7qb3iCs
- http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=Owa10YBJfNU
- http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=bcMB-vtyCBI
- http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0Q9lvu2mY
- http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE - Chet Atkins Sweep Picking in 1975
- http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXfhUmva_Jk
- http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=HfjD680wQJI
- http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=N8vOTKMqzw4

These are the real legends of guitar
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jan 25, 2009,
Les Paul was an amazing musician and technical pioneer.
Love some of his guitar work
I've heard a lot of the bands you've been recommending and I really like Coheed and Cambria, I'd like something like that, a band that takes you to places lyrically and musically
Quote by el-ECTRO
If your child can breathe, suspect drugs. Only people who breathe take drugs. People who cannot breathe still can, but it is increasingly difficult.
nevermore
porcupine tree
opeth
cynic
kathaarsis (forgot how to spell it)
malefice
john butler trio
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Quote by Eminored
Elton John, Chicago, Thin Lizzy, and some early Santana.

Yeah Rock ON
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
The Mars Volta
At The Drive-in
Bailter Space
The Birthday Party
Coheed & Cambria
Deerhoof
Circle Takes the Square
The Number 12 Looks Like You
Tera Melos
The Fall of Troy
Botch
Norma Jean's "O' God....the Aftermath"
Between the Buried and Me
Duck Duck Goose
Into the Moat
Pink Floyd
Nevermore
Opeth
Nightwish
Alice in Chains
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Quote by jimmy388
Circle Takes the Square
Tera Melos
The Fall of Troy
Botch
Duck Duck Goose
Into the Moat

My friend i have to disagree, Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child was a bit better I thought
Quote by jimmy388
Circle Takes the Square
Tera Melos
The Fall of Troy
Botch
Duck Duck Goose
Into the Moat

Holy **** you just named every band I was going to.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
www.stumbleaudio.com

Best way to branch out and here music you'd never hear otherwise.
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
Quote by l33TgUiT@rd00d
My friend i have to disagree, Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child was a bit better I thought

When it comes to Mr. Scogin, I prefer the Chariot :-)

and while we're whoring out bands, I'll ***** mine: www.myspace.com/quitethevacation
Last edited by jimmy388 at Jan 25, 2009,
Circa Survive is awesome. A Skylit Drive before the singer change is amaaazing, more recent stuff is ok as well. Dance Gavin Dance is an awesome band as well, lots of intricate guitar parts. Fall of Troy is really good, considering they are only a 3-piece. Mindless Self-Indulgence is waaay out there in some songs, but still really great. More progressive bands like Coheed, Mastodon, and maybe Dream Theatre or Opeth maybe are always interesting, sometimes are also way out there.
Actually I think I'll make my own list.

The Fall Of Troy
The Dilinger Escape Plan
Tera Melos
Dance Gavin Dance
Circa Survive
The Sound Of Animals Fighting
LoveHateHero
The Mars Volta
Coheed And Cambria (I prefer Shabutie)
Between The Buried And Me
I Set My Friends On Fire
Sky Eats Airplane
Misery Signals
Cynic
Minus The Bear
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

Last edited by andrew12398 at Jan 25, 2009,
You see - that's the problem. I'm looking at all these lists and they're all roughly the same same which is testament that they're not very original and they're very mainstream. So many people have forgotten the original legends of guitar and I find it really upsetting that no one has even mentioned Les Paul.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by jimmy388
When it comes to Mr. Scogin, I prefer the Chariot :-)

and while we're whoring out bands, I'll ***** mine: www.myspace.com/quitethevacation

very nice
Quote by Harmonius
You see - that's the problem. I'm looking at all these lists and they're all roughly the same same which is testament that they're not very original and they're very mainstream. So many people have forgotten the original legends of guitar and I find it really upsetting that no one has even mentioned Les Paul.

I really don't understand your definition of "mainstream". Just because some of them are mentioned more than once doesn't make them well-known. Just users with the same taste in music who happened to listen to those same bands.
Quote by Zinnie

Quote by andrew12398
I really don't understand your definition of "mainstream". Just because some of them are mentioned more than once doesn't make them well-known. Just users with the same taste in music who happened to listen to those same bands.

To main, if they're all very well known I'd still consider them to fall within the freshold of mainstream. I understand users have different tastes in music but when a lot of people suggest similar music it just sparks the interest that the music isn't very original, if you understand what I mean. I'm even more furious that there are so many people who don't appreciate where the original guys who bought the guitar to the mainstream - those listed are some who really have made the way to a lot of the bands that are considered "superstars" - Eddie Van Halen, Steve Miller etc...

There is a looot of good guitar back in the old days and I'm sure people will be pleasantly surprised. If only they made the effort before hand to appreciate it. I've met no more than 3 guitarists who have talked about them in the breadth that they deserved to be talked to.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

A Black Rose Burial

And it's not that we're forgetting our predecessors, not at all. It's just that he asked for thing that were way out there. So, we all responded based on what we thought was "way out there" and I don't know if you have, but you should listen to some of the things that you are calling "mainstream" I can assure you sir, there's nothing derivative or mainstream about a lot of these bands.
check out some jazz..... oscar peterson, dave brubeck quartet..... just pick something at random, see what it's like...
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Page 1 of 2