Page 1 of 2
It's free and it doesn't screw with sound quality as long as you use a decent mic. That's good enough IMO.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
its good for recording riffs but not for recording a whole song because it messes with the timing with me idk if thats just me though or all of them
but its free so why not
it does sound good and its really easy to use
Quote by DKMfreak410
its good for recording riffs but not for recording a whole song because it messes with the timing with me idk if thats just me though or all of them
but its free so why not
it does sound good and its really easy to use

i know exactly what you mean but when that happens just restart your comp then it fixes it up.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
its free but when i record with it my timing is always off. and its not my playing.

but for what it does, its worth a DL
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by sg622
i know exactly what you mean but when that happens just restart your comp then it fixes it up.

thats gonna get really annoying
so you have the problem where even if you record the timing perfect when you playback it is still off
and what do you mean save it and then restart or dont even bother recording and restart
Quote by jetfuel495
It's free, good enough for me.

BTW, If I were to get a Toneport or some similar USB device, could I use that in junction with Audacity?

i find it's great with toneport cause it records directly from the usb device so there's no feedback or noire from anything that could be going on in said room where your pc is!
Quote by boreamor
Nope because I'm not a dick.
Quote by spanish lovin
then did you just call yourself a PUSSY???

^This = Win
Audacity is alright. The sound usually goes out of sync or echoes when you're laying a track down ontop of another. It's free, so I guess it's worth it.
I have no idea what people are talking about with these timing issues
Quote by shadow_murph
i find it's great with toneport cause it records directly from the usb device so there's no feedback or noire from anything that could be going on in said room where your pc is!

Thanks
Quote by jetfuel495
I have no idea what people are talking about with these timing issues
Thanks

well today i was trying to record orion by metallica and i recorded a couple of guitars and even though i timed it right when i played back one goes faster than the other
Quote by DKMfreak410
thats gonna get really annoying
so you have the problem where even if you record the timing perfect when you playback it is still off
and what do you mean save it and then restart or dont even bother recording and restart

dont bother recording and restart. its annoying but its free and super user friendly.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
free...can't be emphasized enough
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
Quote by Krimson_Magnus
Audacity is alright. The sound usually goes out of sync or echoes when you're laying a track down ontop of another. It's free, so I guess it's worth it.
So it's NOT my playing then!? I thought something seemed funny, because I find it difficult to get recorded riffs to stay in sync with drum tracks, even though I'm playing in time.

That explains that

To the TS, as others have already stated, Audacity is free, so you can't expect professional quality level features out of it, but it's useful to play around with and "get a feel" for recording software. I mainly use it to rip music off of vinyls with a USB turntable, and it's fine for that. But I'd look into something else for recording your own music.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Audacity blows imo. It's good if you want to record ideas really quick, but splitting tracks, etc is way more difficult than it should be.

Get Reaper instead, free and destroys Audacity in every single way.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I use audacity to record each instrument and vocals, but for putting each track together and saving the complete file, I use ACID.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I record with my Digitech RP350 through it and it sounds perfect.
I showed a recording of me playing random riffs to one of my friends and he tought it was a real song. If you're talking about voice recording, get a good mic and it will sound just fine
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
It's pretty good. I use it.. There's definately better, but for the price of free, you can't do much better unless you pirate something else.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by MatrixClaw
Audacity blows imo. It's good if you want to record ideas really quick, but splitting tracks, etc is way more difficult than it should be.

Er, v1 isn't free. I think v.42 was, but... Now, it's not.

EDIT: http://traverso-daw.org/

I'm going to try that out. Looks good, and it's free.

EDIT2: Nevermind. I don't like it much. Off we go again, to find a decent audio editor...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Last edited by MusicalMinority at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by MusicalMinority
Er, v1 isn't free. I think v.42 was, but... Now, it's not.

I'm using the latest version.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
free so nice for simple stuff, but i hate the interface, its not user friendly either.
its pretty good for being free... I have a POD studio (new version of toneport) and it works pretty well with it. I too get some timing issues but what i do is use the tool that allows u to shift the track on the timeline and if u move it back just a bit it will be fine...
Audacity is great! It is an audio EDITOR not a WORKSTATION. Thus it is not meant for multitracking songs, but rather chop stuff up, add post-fx, etc. About 99% of UG does not realize this.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Audacity is great! It is an audio EDITOR not a WORKSTATION. Thus it is not meant for multitracking songs, but rather chop stuff up, add post-fx, etc. About 99% of UG does not realize this.

I use it for recording voice stuff for movies..
Quote by GruntOfAction
I use it for recording voice stuff for movies..

Again - not the best tool for the job. You should use a host/DAW that can actually let you record/make music to video a la Logic, etc...
Pros:
Free
Easy to Use
Decent Sound Quality

Cons:
Not many features
Layering tracks can be tedious
Sound quality difference is very noticeable in comparison to Cubase or similar
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Audacity is decent if you're not experienced with audio software. Its about the most user friendly program out there. I do agree that Reaper is better in just about every way though.

For the timing issues...when layering tracks, you need to use the alignment tool to reposition each new track. Tracks are recorded slightly out of sync. I also found that when you use a usb interface, the tempo of the track will speed up 1/4 of a second. Try changing the tempo -.25 seconds if the timing is off.
Quote by MatrixClaw

QFT

I much prefer Reaper over Audacity as well.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by Krimson_Magnus
User error if you are hearing an echo.

The amount of sync error is dependant on the computer. If you want to get a definite handle on this, then record a click track, or make one with the Audacity tool. Then if you can record "what you are hearing" (which is what makes echo mentioned in the quoted post), record the click track while it plays. Then you can measure the sync error and use that to correct your tracks. I just did that right now on the computer I'm using and it's 20 msec out.

So I delete the first 20 msec of my recorded track and it's in sync.
It's really best to just go ahead and pay the 99 bucks sonar cost. The stripped down version anyway. That will do a ton of **** for 100 bucks. You'll like it better than these free programs.
It's amazing in it's simplicity. It just records what's coming from your line in or mic in and puts exactly what you play into the program. You have basic control over the editing of the track as well, although the effects are all destructive and affect the track itself, so once they are applied they can't be taken off. The problem is that you can only use it for line ins or mic ins. Midi is not compatable with it and you can't use any software effects or Reason with it.

But it generally just WORKS and because there's so little to it you probably won't experience many problems with it breaking down, unlike some other programs.
Page 1 of 2