Page 1 of 2
Done the template on the wood.
Being cut this week,
Excuse the quality of the pictures, Only had my Phone Camera with me.
Opinions?

search bar.

nah im just kidding. cool tele idea, gonna be a little weird with nowhereto put the neck pocket, havefun doing a bolt-in for your first guitar.

Also, flatten your wood, that 3/16'' gap underneath of that one side is going to make for one sloppy guitar.
Quote by LP Addict
search bar.

nah im just kidding. cool tele idea, gonna be a little weird with nowhereto put the neck pocket, havefun doing a bolt-in for your first guitar

Why is it hard?
Quote by LP Addict
yeah, and you have no center line to work off of, so none of your hardware is going to line up.

I Have a book, a ruler and the UG Forums. Surely i'll be able to do it somehow!
It's best to start with a center line so you know the neck joint is centered on the body, just go measure it from side to side (thickest parts), draw a center line and then draw lines coming down from either side of the neck pocket and measure them at each side.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
The best way to start witha center line is to draw a straight line roughly down the middle of your stock, then draw the body on each side of the center line starting at the top or bottom until you meet at the top.
I just re read your comment about the neck pocket.
Would it be easier to do this kind of thing?
Obviously alot more straight as i just drew that in 5 minutes on Photoshop.
Thanks for the center line info guys.
The body is at my Grandad's house right now as he has the cutting tools, but i'm going over there tomorrow night to make some adjustments so i will add the center line and neck pocket
Quote by LP Addict
yeah thats it, the neck pocket goes 3'' into the body, so make sure you plan it out.

3"?!
The whole body is only about 1.3" thick!
EDIT: Oh my, Im such an idiot
I know what you mean now, Thanks for that info. Will be very useful!
Only 1.3" thick? You may need to add a top or something onto that, that's pretty thin... At any rate, make sure you give us plenty of pics
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Quote by Coolcat13
Only 1.3" thick? You may need to add a top or something onto that, that's pretty thin... At any rate, make sure you give us plenty of pics

yeah i thought it was pretty thin when i held it.
I think i'll definately need to add a top, What kind of wood do i add to the top?
Plywood? Lmao

There will be some more quality pics tomorrow with updated design and center line.
He mean's as in 3" length wise, not depth, that would be a seriously thick guitar.

EDIT: Stick a .7" maple cap on and carve it?
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Last edited by Daniel8488 at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Daniel8488
He mean's as in 3" length wise, not depth, that would be a seriously thick guitar.

Yeahh i realised afterwards and felt like a retard.
I did edit it btw.
Quote by Turnitdown
yeah i thought it was pretty thin when i held it.
I think i'll definately need to add a top, What kind of wood do i add to the top?
Plywood? Lmao

There will be some more quality pics tomorrow with updated design and center line.

Well, it really depends on what kind of finish you want... if you're just doing something solid, you can go get some red oak or cedar or something form your local Home Depot, I know the one near me had boards 8"wide by 1/2" thick and about 5 feet long for like $20, cut that in half and it'd be perfect... But if you want a transparent finish, you'll want to find some flamed or quilted maple, or really anything with a nice grain

EDIT: D'oh, sorry, I just looked at your profile and saw you are UK, I'm not sure what your situation is for lumber yards over there
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Last edited by Coolcat13 at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Coolcat13
Well, it really depends on what kind of finish you want... if you're just doing something solid, you can go get some red oak or cedar or something form your local Home Depot, I know the one near me had boards 8"wide by 1/2" thick and about 5 feet long for like $20, cut that in half and it'd be perfect... But if you want a transparent finish, you'll want to find some flamed or quilted maple, or really anything with a nice grain

EDIT: D'oh, sorry, I just looked at your profile and saw you are UK, I'm not sure what your situation is for lumber yards over there

I'm hoping to cover the whole guitar in Perspex Mirror.
I'm trying to create a Manson Copy.
and i live in the UK so its whatever will be avaliable here.
What kind of store is Home Depot?
EDIT for your edit: I know of a local Timber Yard where i got this from but dont actually know whats there as i didnt go.
You think any Oak will do the job?
Last edited by Turnitdown at Jan 25, 2009,
There is some nice figured Sycamore (like Maple, it's Maple family) on ebay for £35-£45

Or Google David Dyke, he is in Essex.
Looks like a good start. Manson copies are kinda cool, if you do em right. Are you gonna build any effects into it, like Matt's?
taking a chance here but, fan of Muse?
Are you doing a mirror top, fuzz factory, Kaoss Pad?

You know what would be cool? A carved top

What body wood you using?
Quote by guitarcam123
taking a chance here but, fan of Muse?
Are you doing a mirror top, fuzz factory, Kaoss Pad?

You know what would be cool? A carved top

What body wood you using?

Its Mahogany, I think
Yep im doing a mirror top and a Fuzz Factory. If i can work out the wiring correctly.
Kaoss Pad's are way too hard for my first build!
Fuzz factories are hard to get transistors for. I just built one in electronics class with silicon transistors and it doesn't work so some reason.

I did just buy a clone on the "Bay for $100. i would recommend you do the same.
Mine is going into my Telecaster. Im going for Prototype Manson look. Or the "new born" video guitar.
Quote by customisbetter
Fuzz factories are hard to get transistors for. I just built one in electronics class with silicon transistors and it doesn't work so some reason.

I did just buy a clone on the "Bay for $100. i would recommend you do the same.
Mine is going into my Telecaster. Im going for Prototype Manson look. Or the "new born" video guitar.

what do you mean by a clone?
YOU Need to learn how to use the pen tool in photoshop. Its one of the most UNDER used tools yet one of the MOST powerful ones.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
YOU Need to learn how to use the pen tool in photoshop. Its one of the most UNDER used tools yet one of the MOST powerful ones.

Yeah im planning on learning to Vector soon so i'll have to
The latest:
Wood has been cut.

Havent been able to do anything for a while as i still havent got a neck or the wood im putting over the top to make it a bit thicker.
Ooh.
That neck pocket looks screwy and off-center to me...
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
Ooh.
That neck pocket looks screwy and off-center to me...

Its not off center i dont think, I'd have to check when im there but it hasnt been sanded at all as i dont have the neck yet so i dont know the width of it or anything, All will be cleared up when i have it.
I think i will sand down one of the side's a little (In Red) not as much as that ofc.
The Green line is the center line which you can see isn't off center

Im thinking of putting an Ash or Cedar top on it as its not thick enough at the moment. What would be better sound wise for mahogany?
Quote by guitarcam123
you haven't really planned this out to good...

Look how un straight the neck pocket is...

which will be sanded down and fitted to the neck once i have it.
You guys are too negative!
But it looks like to me, once you get it sanded down so the neck pocket's sides are parallel with the center line, that it will be far too skinny and narrow to use as a neck pocket.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
But it looks like to me, once you get it sanded down so the neck pocket's sides are parallel with the center line, that it will be far too skinny and narrow to use as a neck pocket.

Ok then, How do i fix it?
Get a new body blank.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Get a new body blank.

no way! I cant, Im under a budget as it is. Isnt there any other way?
Glue wood onto it but it will probably turn out bad. Maybe if you were on a budget you shouldn't have spent $80 on a piece of wood then spend 1 day planning then cutting it out without any experience or knowledge.

Why don't you use the body from your Squier?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Mar 21, 2009,
Can you not just leave the neck pocket as it is but make the neck fit parallel to the center line?
Quote by Turnitdown
Have a look at this.
http://www.catfordtimber.co.uk/softwood.htm
Would the Western Red Cedar do the job as it sounds like they do it in board?

For the guitar body? Yes it would work but it's very soft. I have some I want to make an electric with sometime, I was thinking of inlaying a piece of hard wood under the bridge so the screws could hold better.
Page 1 of 2