Page 1 of 2
I was wondering . What is a good and easy beginner song ?
Except smoke on the water I hate that song . Oh and in a electric guitar
not in a acoustic one . I was trying to learn (Don't fear ) The reaper but i only maneged to learn the intro and chorus . When the first solo came up I was
screwed so that went down the tube . Well know any easy songs?
Well on most songs you'll want to skip the solos.

Iron Man
Smells Like Teen spirit

Two popular easy songs
Quote by Mattofla
Well on most songs you'll want to skip the solos.

Iron Man
Smells Like Teen spirit

Two popular easy songs

Well Its just that I want to learn a whole song .

Iron Man seems hard for me.
And Smells like teen spirit uses power chords . I dont
know how to do power chords and i dont even know what they are.

Any easier songs?
You're a beginner. Don't get too wrapped up with the solos right now. Not saying you shouldn't learn them, just that there are other things you really need to work on. I'd be working on chords and working on changing smoothly from one to the next. If you want to work on some solo stuff, have a look on UG. You're going to find a lot of mistakes, but this will help you learn to spot and correct them.
Without powerchords the choice is narrowed down big time. Almost all rock songs use them. I suggest you spit through the lessons right here on UG.

As for your question, Seven nation army by the white stripes
By the power of Greyskull
You'll be learning powerchords soon so practice them and songs which use them.
The Darkness
Nirvana
Blink 182
Sum 41
Blur
Any band with a chick singing, except Alanis Morisette. (Yes, I know that's not true. But it's a good pointer as sadly it mostly goes.)
Any metal (same as with the bands with chick singing...)
Watch out though, metal is notorious for different tunings as Drop D, Drop C, Eb, so retuning ur guitar will be an issue. But drop D and C are the same and Eb and standard too basically, so it's no biggie.
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
I say try a song you like.

If you like it enough you'll practical harder to get it down and learn on the way.

Unless it really is too hard...

What do you listen to?

Also, 7 Nation Army is easy.
well it sounds like you need to get to know basic chords before you move into other stuff.
check out songs like:
brown eyed girl, wish you were here, etc
you need to be fluent with open chords before you move into power and barre chords.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin...
its easy... in my opinion... that or bring it on home
no offense, but if powerchords are too hard for you, you prolly shudnt be learning songs at the moment and focus on finger strength/technique or whatever. you're gonna be realllllllly hard pressed to find something that doesnt use powerchords, nor going a million miles an hour.
Quote by KG6_Steven
You're a beginner. Don't get too wrapped up with the solos right now. Not saying you shouldn't learn them, just that there are other things you really need to work on. I'd be working on chords and working on changing smoothly from one to the next. If you want to work on some solo stuff, have a look on UG. You're going to find a lot of mistakes, but this will help you learn to spot and correct them.

OHH ok I am a beginner been playing for 3 weeks
But what chords should I be learning ?
I already know some .
i know : Caged in major and minor.

How should i practice changing smoothly?
That 'll just come in time. Learn major and minor chords for now. The most important ones are ppb:
A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, F, G
And learn the powerchord grip.
You can try playing mr. Jones by counting crows or knockin' on heaven's door (any version. You might like the guns n' roses one) or I kissed a girl by katy perry or whatever to practice open chords. The ones we've been suggesting so far for powerchords.
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
Power chords are easy. They're usually played on two strings, although you can play them on three to thicken them up a little. A power chord uses the root and the 5. As such, it is neither a minor nor major chord, since it's missing the 3 or b3. On the 6th string, play the 3rd fret, on the 5th string, play the 5th fret. That's a G5, or G power chord. They're usually played with distortion and are useful for lots of different rock songs. If you keep the same pattern and move it up, or down the neck, it's still a power chord. You can play the same thing on the fourth and fifth strings. When you get down to the 3rd string it changes a little. If you play the 3rd fret on the 3rd string, you'll need to play the 6th fret on the 2nd string to have a power chord.
Quote by Mattofla
I say try a song you like.

If you like it enough you'll practical harder to get it down and learn on the way.

Unless it really is too hard...

What do you listen to?

Also, 7 Nation Army is easy.

I mostly listen to metal . i like A7X , metallica etc .
i also like paramore , 30 seconds to mars and that kind of stuff.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Power chords are easy. They're usually played on two strings, although you can play them on three to thicken them up a little. A power chord uses the root and the 5. As such, it is neither a minor nor major chord, since it's missing the 3 or b3. On the 6th string, play the 3rd fret, on the 5th string, play the 5th fret. That's a G5, or G power chord. They're usually played with distortion and are useful for lots of different rock songs. If you keep the same pattern and move it up, or down the neck, it's still a power chord. You can play the same thing on the fourth and fifth strings. When you get down to the 3rd string it changes a little. If you play the 3rd fret on the 3rd string, you'll need to play the 6th fret on the 2nd string to have a power chord.

could you explain it a little bit easier . Im lost . XD
Quote by Base Ics
You'll be learning powerchords soon so practice them and songs which use them.
The Darkness
Nirvana
Blink 182
Sum 41
Blur
Any band with a chick singing, except Alanis Morisette. (Yes, I know that's not true. But it's a good pointer as sadly it mostly goes.)
Any metal (same as with the bands with chick singing...)
Watch out though, metal is notorious for different tunings as Drop D, Drop C, Eb, so retuning ur guitar will be an issue. But drop D and C are the same and Eb and standard too basically, so it's no biggie.

its just that i dont now what power chords are . so i cant play any songs until i
understand what they are .
Quote by Base Ics
That 'll just come in time. Learn major and minor chords for now. The most important ones are ppb:
A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, F, G
And learn the powerchord grip.
You can try playing mr. Jones by counting crows or knockin' on heaven's door (any version. You might like the guns n' roses one) or I kissed a girl by katy perry or whatever to practice open chords. The ones we've been suggesting so far for powerchords.

I already know A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, F, G except F .
powerchord grip?
Quote by grnday1236
no offense, but if powerchords are too hard for you, you prolly shudnt be learning songs at the moment and focus on finger strength/technique or whatever. you're gonna be realllllllly hard pressed to find something that doesnt use powerchords, nor going a million miles an hour.

its not that there too hard for me .its that i dont know
what they are .
Quote by JavierFabre
OHH ok I am a beginner been playing for 3 weeks
But what chords should I be learning ?
I already know some .
i know : Caged in major and minor.

How should i practice changing smoothly?

We were all beginners at one time.

What chords you learn depends on what you like to play. If all you want to play is rock, then learn all the "normal" chords, such as A, Am, B, Bm, C, Cm, etc... Learn their sharp and flat cousins. Also learn the same chords with the 7 added in - Am7, G7, DmMaj7, etc... Don't be too overwhelmed right now. Just work on the easy ones and gradually add more as they come up. For now, work on A, Am, E, Em, D, G, and C. These are the open chords that are easy to get to. Work not only on learning them, but also changing from one to the next. This will take some time to learn. Once you start to learn them, you'll need to start adding in barre (pronounced bar) chords. These are chords that you use your index finger to cover 5 or all 6 strings and then use your remaining 3 fingers to form an open E, Em, A or Am shape 2 frets up. There are also some small barre forms that require you to barre the 1st and 2nd strings and then use the other fingers. The small barre F is one of the toughies that took me a few days to learn.

If you have a printer, do what I did. Find a song that you like and locate the chords to it on UG. Draw out a 4 or 5 fret section of the neck on your paper and make dots at the appropriate places to signify where to fret the chords. At first, try to stick with the easy chords - don't worry too much about the 7 chords. These drawings will help you memorize the chords. You can also buy a rubber stamp that has a small section of the guitar neck at Guitar Center. Buy an ink pad and use that to "draw" your neck for making chord patterns instead. At first, it's going to be painfully slow. You'll miss chords and make plenty of mistakes, but in time you'll improve and get faster. As you learn the easy chords and progress, take on new songs with harder chords, like the 7 chords I mentioned earlier (Am7, G7, for example...). Oh, the nice thing about barre chords, is they're moveable. Use the same pattern anywhere on the neck and you have a chord.
Quote by KG6_Steven
We were all beginners at one time.

What chords you learn depends on what you like to play. If all you want to play is rock, then learn all the "normal" chords, such as A, Am, B, Bm, C, Cm, etc... Learn their sharp and flat cousins. Also learn the same chords with the 7 added in - Am7, G7, DmMaj7, etc... Don't be too overwhelmed right now. Just work on the easy ones and gradually add more as they come up. For now, work on A, Am, E, Em, D, G, and C. These are the open chords that are easy to get to. Work not only on learning them, but also changing from one to the next. This will take some time to learn. Once you start to learn them, you'll need to start adding in barre (pronounced bar) chords. These are chords that you use your index finger to cover 5 or all 6 strings and then use your remaining 3 fingers to form an open E, Em, A or Am shape 2 frets up. There are also some small barre forms that require you to barre the 1st and 2nd strings and then use the other fingers. The small barre F is one of the toughies that took me a few days to learn.

If you have a printer, do what I did. Find a song that you like and locate the chords to it on UG. Draw out a 4 or 5 fret section of the neck on your paper and make dots at the appropriate places to signify where to fret the chords. At first, try to stick with the easy chords - don't worry too much about the 7 chords. These drawings will help you memorize the chords. You can also buy a rubber stamp that has a small section of the guitar neck at Guitar Center. Buy an ink pad and use that to "draw" your neck for making chord patterns instead. At first, it's going to be painfully slow. You'll miss chords and make plenty of mistakes, but in time you'll improve and get faster. As you learn the easy chords and progress, take on new songs with harder chords, like the 7 chords I mentioned earlier (Am7, G7, for example...). Oh, the nice thing about barre chords, is they're moveable. Use the same pattern anywhere on the neck and you have a chord.

but when im learning how to change what pattern should i use ?
I dont have a printer XD . A, Am, E, Em, D, G , C . I laready know all these but
i cant chenge between them fast enough.
Lol, don't listen to him xD
Take it slower
This guy here suggested barré in the 1st bit of his book. Stay away from that for now, you'll only get frustrated.
Start off with the chords I told ya :p
And powerchords:
Play them on the 4 thickest strings only for starters.
I'll just give examples of several powerchords, it 'll be very clear what they are from that.
e x x x x
B x x x x
G x x 2 12
D 3 7 2 12
A 3 7 0 10
E 1 5 x x

You see mate? pretty easy
You don't have to play the hightest note to get the sound, but it adds a little thing to it. You can play them with your index finger and ring finger, your index finger and pinky (like me mostly) or with all 3 those fingers. Whatever suits you best ^^
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
Quote by JavierFabre
could you explain it a little bit easier . Im lost . XD

e---------------------|
B---------------------|
G--------------------|
D------5---7---------|
A---5--3---5--5-----|
E---3----------3-----|

Power chords...

If you understand and can read tab, what I've listed above should be easy. If not, here's a quick explanation. The lower case "e" is the high E, or thin-stringed E closest to the floor. The upper case "E" is the one closest to the ceiling, or the low E. The numbers mean that you should play those frets on the appropriate string. Numbers that are lined up vertically, or directly above or below another, are played at the same time. For example, the 5 and the 3 are to be played at the same time. You would play the 3rd fret, or G, on the 6th string and the 5th fret, or D, on the 5th string. This gives you a G power chord, or G5, if you really want to get specific. If you want to thicken them up a little, see what I have below:

e---------------------|
B---------------------|
G-------5---7--------|
D---5--5---7--5-----|
A---5--3---5--5-----|
E---3----------3-----|

Now, we're playing 3 notes instead of 2, but it's still a power chord. The 3 5 5 in the first one is G, D, G, or G5. The second power chord is a C5. The third is a D5 and then the last one is another G5. There's nothing wrong with learning power chords in the first few weeks. However, your real focus should be as I mentioned earlier - learning the commonly used chords.
e|--------------
B|--------------
G|--------------
D|2---4---6---
A|2---4---6---
E|0---2---4---

Powerchords are like that. The lower note is fretted with your index, and the two other note s are played with your ring and your pinky. You can mute the other strings with your index if you want or you can play only the ones that you're fretting.
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Quote by JavierFabre
I mostly listen to metal . i like A7X , metallica etc .
i also like paramore , 30 seconds to mars and that kind of stuff.

"Was It a dream"(30 seconds to mars) is just a fun picking part and a powerchord chorus. Fun for beginners and sounds cool.

Also, try Never Too Late by Three Days Grace, If you have a tuner and want to learn to tune to drop-d.

First song i learned.
If you're new to power chords just do them with your index and ring fingers until you get them down. Then throw in the pinky.

Worked for me.
Quote by munkyRobb
any blink-182 will serve you well

mmm, any Blink-182
AC/DC songs are cool cuz theres lot of chords, try some like Back in Black, Highway to Hell, Shook Me All Night Long.
Don't need to learn solos right now, work on chords and powerchords.
Quote by JavierFabre
Well Its just that I want to learn a whole song .

Iron Man seems hard for me.
And Smells like teen spirit uses power chords . I dont
know how to do power chords and i dont even know what they are.

Any easier songs?

Try "The man who sold the world" by David Bowie. It's just C and F major scales, and one riff more.

Remember that most songs will have complex solos, or 2-3 guitars rather than 1 (+ and bass guitar and drums), so you'll play a very simplified version of the song anyway if you play alone, so why shouldn't it then also be acceptable to remove the solos?
Quote by Mattofla
"Was It a dream"(30 seconds to mars) is just a fun picking part and a powerchord chorus. Fun for beginners and sounds cool.

Also, try Never Too Late by Three Days Grace, If you have a tuner and want to learn to tune to drop-d.

First song i learned.

ok . I just learned to tune to drop d and learned the intro to never too late .
Thats an awesome song . Im gonna see if i can learn it completly .

Anyways , thanks for replying everyone!!
Quote by JavierFabre
ok . I just learned to tune to drop d and learned the intro to never too late .
Thats an awesome song . Im gonna see if i can learn it completly .

Anyways , thanks for replying everyone!!

Yeah, the intro is even better on an acoustic.

Also, the chorus of the song is just power chords.
In drop-d you only need one finger to play them

And the strumming pattern for the chorus is play the open power chord 3 times, then the 8 five times, then the 7 three times and the 10 five times.

The tab doesn't really say that, I had to learn It myself. Though it might not sound right to you.

Also(again), If you try and learn "Was it a dream", you can play it in standard.
Last edited by Mattofla at Jan 26, 2009,
stop making some words red its so annoying!anyway smells like teen spirit is good for practicing chords and chord changes.
i didnt read sorry, try playing Tenacious Ds "Classico?"
Last edited by acecroc at Jan 29, 2009,
"I dont
know how to do power chords and i dont even know what they are."
dont know how to quote
but a power chord is a chord such as e5,f5 etc..
so if you play blitzenberg bop
the tab is like this
at first
E
B
G
D
A-7-7-7-7-7
E-5-5-5-5-5
At this point, keep your left hand at the same position that you did playing thoose chords
and keeping the same position, play theese chords
E
B
G
D7-7-7-7-7-7
A5-5-5-5-5-5
E
hope that helped
Last edited by acecroc at Jan 29, 2009,
Well, I can vouch for Good Riddence by Green Day.

It's the only song I can play so can't be too hard.

Uses four basic chords, I strum it all the way. It should be played with a bit more too it, but that gives me something to work on too.
Good Riddance (Time of your Life) by Green Day,

Wake Me up When September Ends

Gunslinger by A7X.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Base Ics
knockin' on heaven's door (any version. You might like the guns n' roses one)

'Knockin' on the Heavens Door'! Very easy, chords: G-D-Am-C. And try 'Come as you are' by Nirvana. I hate this band but it's very simple. And try somer power-chords, you can try playing 'Smells like teen spirit' on 13th fret (index finger on E-13):

D-15
A-15
E-13

On this frets fingers are closer so it's easy to learn.
Quote by JavierFabre
but when im learning how to change what pattern should i use ?
I dont have a printer XD . A, Am, E, Em, D, G , C . I laready know all these but
i cant chenge between them fast enough.

Changing between them smoothly is just practice - slow down, look at the first chord change in whatever song you are learning and just practice changing backwards and forwards between those two chords til you are happy with it. Then look at the next chord change and do the same. Once you are happy with the individual chord changes start linking them together. Or just write yourself a random chord progression from the chords you know and do the same thing with that.

Do you know anything about scales and how chords are constructed yet? If you do power chords are easy. A Major chord is R,3,5 of the scale, the power chord is just R,5. If you find yourself playing more than 3 notes for a normal major/minor chord its because you are repeating one of the notes, which makes the chord sound 'fuller'.
Brand New: The Quiet Things That No one Ever Knows. That was my first song. It has lots of simple power chords that makes it easy to learn them
Last edited by JTROKS at Jan 29, 2009,
Page 1 of 2