Page 1 of 2
whats up everybody. Im not sure if this is the right place for it, but i cant for the love of God get a certain sound out of my amp. Its the opening riff on blink 182's First date. That sounds kind of like a clear distortion. I have a gibson les paul stidio with a line 6 spider 3 half stack, and no matter how much treble i add, it still sounds like too much static. I try the lower distortion settings, but it sound like regular rock. Ive tried all of the pre-sets too. Any ideas?
guitar gear and accessories forum. sell the spider III

/thread
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
turn the volume knob on your guitar..then turn down alot of the treble of your amp. this should get what you want. then sell all line 6 related products....
its the amp dude....simple

but lower the the gain......
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
have you tried looking up the settiongs for that song? im sure you can find them
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by himynameisangel
whats up everybody. Im not sure if this is the right place for it, but i cant for the love of God get a certain sound out of my amp. Its the opening riff on blink 182's First date. That sounds kind of like a clear distortion. I have a gibson les paul stidio with a line 6 spider 3 half stack, and no matter how much treble i add, it still sounds like too much static. I try the lower distortion settings, but it sound like regular rock. Ive tried all of the pre-sets too. Any ideas?

I'll be brutally honest and say that's your problem.
Put it on the clean setting, or jazz/twang/whatever the amp calls it. Dont boost the treble so much, and just boost the distortion
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
you're looking for tube overdrive... your amp can't get that tone.
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
You need an tube amp to get that 'clean' distortion/overdrive. Dynamics are pretty boo boo with SS amps.
Don't use a spider, don't play blink 182.

Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by xFilth
I cry when I see 2000$ guitars being played through amps like that

i know i know i really wish i had gotten that marshall half stack that they had as a floor model for $800. but instead i pay $800 for the line 6 cuz its "new". OOh the humanity.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
you're looking for tube overdrive... your amp can't get that tone.

Ah crap! i guess i should say that im looking for the sound of the LIVE version of the song. But if my crappy as amp cant do it i guess its destined for ebay. Any chance you guys can tell me of a similar price, GOOD half stack?
i wont be the first to say this but your amps the problem
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by himynameisangel
Ah crap! i guess i should say that im looking for the sound of the LIVE version of the song. But if my crappy as amp cant do it i guess its destined for ebay. Any chance you guys can tell me of a similar price, GOOD half stack?

*hypnosis*
You don't need a stack.... you don't need a stack... you don't need a stack
The live sound is still tube overdrive, your spider's no good for that
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by Pac_man0123
*hypnosis*
You don't need a stack.... you don't need a stack... you don't need a stack

ts=troll??
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by JWD32792
The live sound is still tube overdrive, your spider's no good for that

yea i was just sitting there for like an hour trying more stuff but youre right. I guess ill just bite the bullet for a tube amp. Any suggestions?
Quote by himynameisangel
yea i was just sitting there for like an hour trying more stuff but youre right. I guess ill just bite the bullet for a tube amp. Any suggestions?

What kind of budget would we be working with?
Bugera 333 XL its a 3 channel tube 2-12 COMBO. it should do you fine at around $700 i think
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by himynameisangel
i know i know i really wish i had gotten that marshall half stack that they had as a floor model for $800. but instead i pay $800 for the line 6 cuz its "new". OOh the humanity.

... Was it an MG?
I dont remember, but as far as budget, i think around $600-$700, depending on how much i can get for my line 6, and if you guys think ill need a bad ass effects pedal. Its income tax time!!! i really only want distortion, but clean like i said. Oh and i need a wireless system, but if you guys say no effects pedal than probably like $800 to $1000.
damn this music thing!!! You go for a clean sound with some distortion and you get 80 style aerosmith like tones, you go for a dirty channel with distortion you get megadeth like insanity!!! Weres the middle ground!!!
The middle ground is a versatile multiple channel tube amp and a good knowledge of how to EQ your rig and guitar.I use a Peavey JSX,which can be found used for the price you stated.It has 3 channels,built in reverb,noise gate,and a pretty responsive EQ.I can get anything from bell like cleans to heavy progressive death metal tones out of it just by switching the channels and adjusting the EQ and controls on my guitar a bit.The big thing with tone chasing is not to expect the gear to do it for you.You need to know how to shape your tone and what steps to take to achieve the sound you want in order to use your gear to the fullest.Get a nice versatile tube amp and study up on how to EQ properly,then you can get almost any tone you want.Out of all my years as a guitarist and all the different amps and rigs I've played through,I've never seen a "plug and play" type set up,you have to sit down and experiment until you find what you're looking for.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

The middle ground is on a Peavey Classic 30 clean with a Ibanez Tubescreamer.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by CapnKickass
... Was it an MG?

Haha obviously.

And TS...are you sure you NEED a wireless system?
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
Ok, you should be able to a similar enough tone with that line 6. You like the amp? Great. Don't let them peer pressure you into buying a new amp if you don't want to. I used to use a Spider II, it worked, did it's job and genuinely rocked. Not the best tone and I definitely wouldn't trade my current rig for one, but, honestly, you should be able to get a close enough tone to the opening to first day out of it.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by dbzrage3k
Haha obviously.

And TS...are you sure you NEED a wireless system?

well yes and no. Yes because of the freedom and versatility. And no because were not gigging anything bigger tham a small 25ft X 18ft stage at some bars .... for now.
But i live with the hope and expectation i will need it sometime soon. And Pr0gNut, thank you for all your info. I wish i hadnt fallen for all the sales guy at guitar center's crap. They say you cant sell a salesman, well thats CRAP, cuz i buy EVERYTHING!!!
poop. funniest word ever.
keep in mind too that your trying to get tom's tone through a les paul, when tom uses a strat. the tone you are chasing in this case comes from single coil pickups, and a tube amp...neither of which you have
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by himynameisangel
well yes and no. Yes because of the freedom and versatility. And no because were not gigging anything bigger tham a small 25ft X 18ft stage at some bars .... for now.
But i live with the hope and expectation i will need it sometime soon. And Pr0gNut, thank you for all your info. I wish i hadnt fallen for all the sales guy at guitar center's crap. They say you cant sell a salesman, well thats CRAP, cuz i buy EVERYTHING!!!

do you realize how badly wireless systems suck the life out of your tone?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
You're not gonna get that sound out of that amp even if you pointed a gun at it. You might be able to mimic it under the "crunch" drive setting. The guitar in the song sounds like a bridge humbucker cranked into an Orange.
AL
Sell the Spider, get a HRDx or one of the Peaveys suggested and an OD pedal. You don't need a wireless system or an effects chain.
thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. Im just gonna sell the line 6 and not get the wireless of the effects pedal and just go all out for a good tube amp, with maybe a distortion/overdrive . hopefully ill still have enough for that cool $390 fender strat i saw
Quote by himynameisangel
thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. Im just gonna sell the line 6 and not get the wireless of the effects pedal and just go all out for a good tube amp, with maybe a distortion/overdrive . hopefully ill still have enough for that cool $390 fender strat i saw

don't worry about the strat, just get a seymour duncan JB to put in your bridge and then coil split it, it'll get you "close enough." Tom Delonge used a strat, but he had an Invader and JB in his strats, then he switched to that horrible gibsons with the dirty fingers in it. So, you should be ok with the paul.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by himynameisangel

Yes, that would have been A LOT better
Quote by Thomme
don't worry about the strat, just get a seymour duncan JB to put in your bridge and then coil split it, it'll get you "close enough." Tom Delonge used a strat, but he had an Invader and JB in his strats, then he switched to that horrible gibsons with the dirty fingers in it. So, you should be ok with the paul.

Aw dammit i just bought that "horrible" Epiphone, but damn that thing is a beauty.
Page 1 of 2