here's a quick recording i just did of the jazz standard autumn leaves, im just getting started with reading sheet music and jazz improvising. trying to get my solos to sound more interesting with more tension rather than just outlining chords using modes

first minute or so is the melody, followed by some improvising and then the melody again as an outro.

please give any feedback, ill crit back if you ak

thanks

you can find the song on here - http://viruk.dmusic.com/
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Last edited by Viruk at Jan 25, 2009,
The melody line was a little stiff and square. Try to loosen it up! The accompaniment was really basic, but you are new to this though, so I can't complain.

Next thing you should do with this song, is to incorporate the melody into the chord line. that's what I did, and it helps a lot on your understanding of chord variations.

(Please excuse my hard way of explaining things, I'm not from an english-speaking country...)

C4C?
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
I've done a bit of chord melody stuff, I can do the first 8 bars or so of this tune but didn't think to incorporate it in this recording.

As for the accompaniment, I chose simple chords because I was mainly working on the improvisation. I know chord inversions and such, but I admit the rhythm itself is very basic. Do you have any suggestions of rhythms to try?

Do you have any comments on the improv?

thanks a lot for the crit, send me a link to your song and ill crit back

edit: maybe by accompaniment you meant the solo? or did you mean the chords?
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Last edited by Viruk at Jan 25, 2009,
Sorry, forgot to link it... I'll comment on your improvisation later. I'm in class at the moment. :P

By accompaniment, I mean the chords.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1050316
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Jan 26, 2009,
Just listened to Autumn Leaves. I have the chords for the song, but I don't know the chorus part of the song. The soloing is good, although a little bit of swing in it, which is unusual, but very listenable for all of that. I've been trying to learn more jazzy stuff recently and it is difficult, but very rewarding all the same.
Well done again!
Good to see some jazz on here! The chords are fine but my only complaint is on the melody you got a bit off rhythm here and the chord rhythm could be a little more interesting. The improv is okay definatly on the right path. You create more melodic lines than running through scales and arpeggios but it still could use a little work. Overall very good job though!
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm really trying to make my improv sound more interesting than just scales but it's very difficult. Do you have any suggestions for making a more melodic line?

Suggestions of some rhythms would be good too :P

Hodgie it's nice to hear that there's some swing in it because I love to listen to that kind of stuff, maybe it's showing in my playing.

post your song if you want a crit back guys

Check out my recordings