I love metalcore and bands such as Parkway Drive, As I Lay Dying, Machinemade God, etc....but I don't like breakdowns

Is anyone else like me?
This choice is passion, this path is tension.
the most brutal part of a hardcore/metalcore song IS the breakdown.
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
No
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
Breakdowns are ****ing awesome man, if you took out them most of the bands wouldnt have songs!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by Phoenix322
Is anyone else like me?

no....
ur not a fan then!!
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Quote by hendrix_128

Completely true
Call me Trey.
I used to be hugely into metalcore and all that stuff. Breakdowns blow so much ass. I like Trivium, and All That Remains. But **** like The Acacia Strain and Suicide Silence with 3 breakdowns a song, its so annoying and reptitive. I've moved on to real metal, which is why I should probably change my old username. Death > anything with a breakdown.
I didn't think so hahaha. Breakdowns are boring and they all sound so similar. Rarely do I find myself actually enjoying a breakdown(cause there are a few...and I mean a few, good ones). I'd much rather hear a guitar solo than a cliche breakdown that just bashes on open notes.
This choice is passion, this path is tension.
Quote by hendrix_128

I am this close to making this my new signature.
last.fm | Rush Hour | Dead Format
Quote by HxC73107
pray for plagues or off the heezay by bring me the horizon both great songs specially when ur at a pit at trhe reall show
Quote by AvengedSevenfold332
But **** like The Acacia Strain and Suicide Silence with 3 breakdowns a song, its so annoying and reptitive.

Neither of those bands are metalcore.

I like breakdowns when they're done well, which I guess is just a matter of perspective. When August Burns Red do them they pump me up, but a lot of bands just throw them in there because "it's what they're supposed to do," and it can really kill the momentum of the song.

In fact, the only other bands I like who use breakdowns are After the Burial, All Shall Perish, Between the Buried and Me, the Acacia Strain, Born of Osiris, and one or two songs by the Faceless. None of which are metalcore bands.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Jan 25, 2009,
Sometimes they work, usually they don't. Most real hardcore bands don't use too many breakdowns though, and as far as metalcore goes..just listen to Converge and Darkest hour, they have everything most metalcore bands have, but no breakdowns.
Quote by hendrix_128

I like this guy.

But anyways, on a more serious note, I enjoy breakdowns when they are used tastefully and sparingly. If the breakdown use becomes formulaic or excessive, then well, That's about all I have to offer really.
I would honestly rather listen to simple chum chum hardcore with breakdowns
Instead of As I lay dying, and that type stuff, really guitar riff driven stuff is not my thing usually.

When I want hardcore I want heavy as **** breakdowns and low low guitars
I'd rather listen to real hardcore such as Modern Life is War, Gorilla Biscuits, Jungle Fever, Have Heart, The Suicide File and other equivalents.

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
Quote by Phoenix322
I love metalcore and bands such as Parkway Drive....but I don't like breakdowns

Pardon?
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
you are very weird
parkway drive is the epitome of breakdowns
very odd to only like the band but not breakdowns
listening to a breakdown is awesome
listening to the band doing it live is 100x the fun
[img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9595/userbar671014hu6.gif[/img]
Quote by STABxYOU
No, I like real hardcore.

i like both

but leaning towards more "tru" hardcore these days
Quote by Phoenix322
I love metalcore and bands such as Parkway Drive, but I don't like breakdowns

Is anyone else like me?

[img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9595/userbar671014hu6.gif[/img]
The Fall of Troy's breakdowns make my life complete. So yes, I rather do enjoy them.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by Avenged7Fold332
But **** like The Acacia Strain and Suicide Silence with 3 breakdowns a song, its so annoying and reptitive. I've moved on to real metal, which is why I should probably change my old username. Death > anything with a breakdown.

The Acacia Strain is one the best bands you could ever see live. Once you see them playing that "****" you will be a lifelong fan.
Call me Trey.
Quote by Avenged7Fold332
I used to be hugely into metalcore and all that stuff. Breakdowns blow so much ass. I like Trivium, and All That Remains. But **** like The Acacia Strain and Suicide Silence with 3 breakdowns a song, its so annoying and reptitive. I've moved on to real metal, which is why I should probably change my old username. Death > anything with a breakdown.

1. you listened to **** to begin with
2. ax7 are ****ing terrible
3. saying "i leik troo metalz" doesnt make you cooler
4. acacia strain generally dont have 3 breakdowns in a song
I think Winds of Plague would be a WAY better band minus the boring, repetetive breakdowns. But I do love me some breakdowns. IF done right.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
you can tell the difference between a good breakdown in a song and a song that is built around a breakdown or breakdowns. like parkway drive or as blood runs black has like 3-4 breakdowns in a single 3-4 minute song. some generic chug breakdowns are good. like the first time i heard as i lay dying's through struggle, there was one heavy breakdown at the end after 3 minute of verse-chorus repeats and it just felt very right and it flowed all the way. i hate songs that play, stop, breakdown, stop, double time, stop, play, stop, breakdown. you know what i mean.
Quote by ralph wiggum

4. acacia strain generally dont have 3 breakdowns in a song

You're right I'd say they have around 6. It's just that each one is the same thing so they just kind of blend together.

My problem with most breakdowns is that they look something like this

--------------------------------
---0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

or

They are all extremely similar (other than their pace) and just seem to be a cop-out to me that helps make a song longer.

It should also be noted I don't attend metal/core shows that much and when I do I don't enjoy moshing. For me, music is introspective, and I don't want to pay $25 to get punched in the mouth, accidental or not.
Last edited by kpatterson14206 at Jan 29, 2009,
i agree the fall of troy really does have amazing breakdowns. if you dont get pumped from those and you dont those i wanna punch you in the face you faggot
Quote by kylelagz
i agree the fall of troy really does have amazing breakdowns. if you dont get pumped from those and you dont those i wanna punch you in the face you faggot

Calm down kid, you don't wanna start fights with grownups.
Quote by kylelagz

cool dood
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
what do these breakdowns sound like? anyone got a youtube link?

(i dont listen to this type of music obvs)
Quote by kylelagz

I wonder if it's possible to overdose on testosterone?

More people should listen to sludge breakdowns; those make you want to put your fist through ten men.
When they incorporate more than chugging on the low E (or D or C or B if you are really br00tal) they can be sweet. Sadly most dont fall into this category.
Most breakdowns are nearly as irritating as tinitus. Therefore I don't overly like them.

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
I think you like "Real metal" more than metal core. Take away the breakdown, and metalcore pretty much becomes metal