Poll: should my jazz have an alder or ash body?
Poll Options
View poll results: should my jazz have an alder or ash body?
alder
16 27%
ash
43 73%
Voters: 59.
Page 1 of 2
So...

Soon i'll be buying a fender deluxe active jazz and i want opinions

should i get it with an alder or an ash body?

opinions and reasons please.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Try to play both! You'll hardly hear the difference.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Ash because it will be lighter, Fender Jazz basses have a good range already.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
ash is brighter and lighter so i'd go for that.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I'd have to go with ash, especially if you're into slap bass. It adds a little extra high-end "snap" that you wouldn't notice very much unless you played an alder bass beside it. Alder sounds good, ash just sounds better

Just my $.02
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
ash. cleaner, better looking grain, lighter...

it is just win.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The difference is pretty minimal to me, but I would go with ash over alder. I've always thought of it as a "better" wood for whatever reason. It's a little tighter sounding, but the difference is very subtle.
Ash, because, yea, its a brighter and cleaner, and tighter.

its a subtle difference, but it is an awesome difference
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
I own 2 ash Fenders, including my 16lbs '51 Precision, so don't tell me it's lighter.

As has a crisper top and a deeper bottom - plus it's hollower in the midrange. That's my kinda thing - clear. Plus, few argue that it looks nicer.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well, even though it's a bit hollower in the midrange, let's not forget about those low mids ash certainly packs. That growly, sexy tone. *drool*

And yeah, I'd go for ash...
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Quote by thefitz
I own 2 ash Fenders, including my 16lbs '51 Precision, so don't tell me it's lighter.

As has a crisper top and a deeper bottom - plus it's hollower in the midrange. That's my kinda thing - clear. Plus, few argue that it looks nicer.

yeah but a 51 has a slab body doesn't it? so it will have a greater volume of wood anyway. there is also always variation between different trees, so you might have just got a really dense piece?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
yeah but a 51 has a slab body doesn't it? so it will have a greater volume of wood anyway. there is also always variation between different trees, so you might have just got a really dense piece?

x

the one 51' I played was similarly heavy.

it sure aint a high density bridge weighing it down.

one thing I had been hoping for from the Fender people this year was a 51 upgrade model, with a BA and jazz style neck. oh well.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I think people are getting confused between Swamp Ash (seriously stupidly light) and Hard Ash, which isn't.

If it's hard ash, meh. It's just a bit brighter and a bit heavier. If it's Swamp Ash, go for the ash.

Either way, I would say go for something different to your normal Jazz basses.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by shinhoman

The ones I've played since are half the weight - and the contours are so subtle that the difference in weight isn't 8lbs. I have a dense old piece, but the point is, ash is as light and as heavy as any hunk of alder - or, at the very least, it's not "lightweight."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ash does look nicer.. tonally theres little difference
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Ash for allthe reasons stated above^

I never knew you had a choice of wood anyway?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
chris this bass is to replace my current jazzes not join them.

fitzy what's the B like on the 5 string model?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Theres an american deluxe 4 string on ebay for 700 buy it now or make an offer, if your interested.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by skater dan0
chris this bass is to replace my current jazzes not join them.

Eh, I would go for Alder then. Mainly because ash just cannot get that Jazz bass sound.

If you wanted that proper oldschool tone, ash just doesn't get it. I dunno. It's a tricky one.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by fatgoogle
Theres an american deluxe 4 string on ebay for 700 buy it now or make an offer, if your interested.

sadly i don't have 700 of any worthwhile currency at the moment
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I'd say get the ash. I have an Ash-bodied Jazz and i think it sounds better than alder, though many people on talkbass tend to say it makes a minimal difference besides the appearance.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by skater dan0

You're aware I have the AMERICAN Deluxe model and not the Active Deluxe model. My model's probably 1600 quid. It's like $2600 list.

That said, the B string is as solid as all B strings are - I don't believe that anything past the bridge or before the nut does any difference. Tension is a ratio between string gauge, length, and pitch.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
You're aware I have the AMERICAN Deluxe model and not the Active Deluxe model. My model's probably 1600 quid. It's like $2600 list.

That said, the B string is as solid as all B strings are - I don't believe that anything past the bridge or before the nut does any difference. Tension is a ratio between string gauge, length, and pitch.

yes i know you have the american deluxe and i'm going for the american deluxe

this one

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=3864

or this one

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=67500

haven't quite decided yet
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle

I want an American Deluxe Jazz Bass...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Oh, gotcha - for some reason from the initial post I understood the MIM Active Deluxe.

What's concerning is how many colours the alder one comes in - Fender has not made a teal green trans MIADX Jazz in forever, and the fact that it's an upcharge leads me to believe it's ash - a 2003 model before they differentiated the 2 types of woods as separate models. Avoid.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
if i buy alder it'll be black and if i buy ash it'll be the tobacco sunburst. both with maple fretboards
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
i have a thing for maple and black though, it's like the tuxedo of bass finishes. and if i get the black one the pickguard is going straight in the bin in favour of a black one. and then a chrome pickup cover because i like them, they look classy
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
So you have a choice between quietly classy and overtly dripping with sexual drive. It's a tough call.

when you put it that way i think i'm more inclined towards the classy one
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
US DX's don't come in black. They come in Montego Black. That is, black with gold flecks, with a slight gold reflection. And a ridiculous gold pickguard.

Now, if you were to swap the pickguard for a black one...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
bloody gold sparkly paint, why can't fender use normal colours. now i'm edging towards the tobacco sunburst ash model. anything i should know about it?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
That it's awesome. See my pics.

EDIT: Keep in mind that mine is a lot lighter around the edges than I thought it would be. To be honest, I was hoping it was going to fade to pretty much black, not that light caramel. People sometimes think it's Cherry Transparent or whatever the other colour was. I think it's the most timeless looking MIA DX bass colour combo, besides maybe 3TSB with the mint guard.

EDIT EDIT: The picture for the GAK site is that of the aforementioned and discontinued Cherry Transparent (with the sparkly whit pickguard). Both colour choices are NOT pictured. However, Butterscotch Blonde looks very, very cool with the black pickguard and looks a thousand times better in person.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Jan 28, 2009,
i've never been a fan of butterscotch blonde. i might go for the 3tsb but then i've had a 3tsb bass with a maple fretboard before and i felt i couldn't use it for a lot of things because it didn't fit asthetically. Stupid i know but lets face it the music industry is as much about image as anything else
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I will add that when your willing to spend that much on an instrument you want something that you like to look at, and looks good in general.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I will add that when your willing to spend that much on an instrument you want something that you like to look at, and looks good in general.

yeah also this. i just spent the last 20 minutes looking at the finish options of the MIA DX jazz and there are none that appeal to me at all except maybe the 3tsb or white alder models or tobacco burst ash model
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Hmm, Ya, i suppose if you see them in person they might be different and a bit mopre to your tastes or not. Theres also the FMT if you want to put down alot of money on a bass and it has 24 frets, tabacco burst, or cherry.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Page 1 of 2