Hey my names James and this is my first post here. Been playing for years, but never learned much of any theory. Pretty pathetic, and I'm working on it. I figured i could have more fun learning it if I could apply it to my original songs right away. So this is what I'm looking for...

Heres the song (real rough)
http://www.divshare.com/download/6402096-53d

LINK IS TO STREAMING MP3 not a download

What key am I playing in, and what scales should I use to play over it? What scale should I use for the bridge in the middle? Thanks! -James
Last edited by Jrowland14 at Jan 25, 2009,
I don't want to download it. Could you put a little tab up in this thread of maybe a main riff or something?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
honestly, i couldnt tell you what key and such either... i could if i saw the music written out... but i really like your song! whatever key it is in, it has no issues and there are no notes out of key. For the scales to go over it, just use the scale shapes of the chords you are using. i hope that helps some...
i plays the geetar, drums, and anything else you hand me
:stickpoke:
Quote by Jrowland14
it streams, not a download

Which doesn't help us at all.
What key is it in? If you don't know, read the Crusades articles and learn how keys work.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by metaldrummer15
honestly, i couldnt tell you what key and such either... i could if i saw the music written out... but i really like your song! whatever key it is in, it has no issues and there are no notes out of key. For the scales to go over it, just use the scale shapes of the chords you are using. i hope that helps some...

its funny man... been playing for so long without any theory knowledge and I dont know the names of any of those chords or how I built them. Lots of my songs are technical, have lots of diffrent parts, and are complicated but I have no idea what the theory is. I can even solo half decent without any knowledge of scales just from years of trial and error... I know I would be nasty if I buckled down and learnd the stuff
Quote by Jrowland14
its funny man... been playing for so long without any theory knowledge and I dont know the names of any of those chords or how I built them. Lots of my songs are technical, have lots of diffrent parts, and are complicated but I have no idea what the theory is. I can even solo half decent without any knowledge of scales just from years of trial and error... I know I would be nasty if I buckled down and learnd the stuff

Which, again, doesn't help us since we have no idea what you're playing. At least tab it out.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Jrowland14

You should research the shapes of scales and chords on the lessons and articles on here, they have helped me learn some theory. What helped me most was the one about intervals between notes. I just wish i could tell this stuff by ear better. sorry man.
i plays the geetar, drums, and anything else you hand me
:stickpoke:
yea I was hoping someone could just listen to it, solo over it with their guitar, and say "oh yea thats the so and so scale"... thats what my friend did, but I cant remember what he said

Ill check out the lessons tho, thanks
Just listened to the first 60 seconds. There's a combination of Am - C, Am - C - D, and G - C - D going on. The answer is A Dorian. A minor pentatonic will work also, as this is included in the A Dorian. I haven't got to the bridge yet, but I'll update when I get there.
If the bridge = 1:58 Chords are A - G. You can use G Lydian over this.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
i dig your song
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by xxdarrenxx
If the bridge = 1:58 Chords are A - G. You can use G Lydian over this.

Stop trying to drag modes into everything.
Quote by Archeo Avis

alternative?

Thanks for digging the song, and the advice
Oops, I was gonna listen to the rest of it, but I got drunk instead. Darren's right, it's A and G chords in the bridge, with the tonic firmly implied to be G; I'd use the G major pentatonic over the top instead though, as the full Lydian might be a bit too exotic sounding.

Sounds very nice by the way
Quote by Archeo Avis

Lol?

If you listen to the song instead of random replying, you might agree.

The chords A - G, with G being the tonal focus.

G Major pentatonic and G lydian both work, since the chords have no relation to the rest of the song harmonic wise.

G Major (ionian)wouldn't work, because the A is MAJOR and not MINOR, thus resulting in The C note clashing horribly.

Seriously.

The progression makes it what it is (G Lydian) if you stay diatonically within that passage.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 26, 2009,