One of my homework assignments doing V7 chords in voice leading. In the last two chords there is an 8 in the figured bass, and then a 7 inbetween them. I'm assuming the 7 is for a nonharmonic but i havent seen an 8 in figured bass under a chord before. The chord is a Dom7, any ideas what that means?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Figured_Bass.png

Edit: I found a picture of a C major chord with the 8 as figured bass. Does just mean that soprano is doubling bass?
Last edited by blueriver at Jan 25, 2009,
I've never seen an 8 in figured bass before, either. I'd assume that you're right. Could you maybe show me the example in particular?
It's just indicating that one voice is doubling the bass, which in this situation is probably the root, falling to the seventh, and then should be resolving to the 3rd of the tonic.

Remember that figured bass is not just an arbitrary shorthand for inversion but that it indicates intervals above a bass note for the upper voices.
Quote by Nick_
It's just indicating that one voice is doubling the bass, which in this situation is probably the root, falling to the seventh, and then should be resolving to the 3rd of the tonic.

Remember that figured bass is not just an arbitrary shorthand for inversion but that it indicates intervals above a bass note for the upper voices.

Thanks, I didn't know that until today in class. The alto was supposed to fall to the 7th.
Quote by Nick_

I figured that was what it meant, but I didn't want to sound like a jackass were I to be wrong.