i'm thinking, if you have a guitar or bass that has no truss rod, what are the chances of the neck bending? and how would u fix it?

just outta curiosity.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
quite high

you can use lighter strings and lower tunings but that's about as far as fixing it will go
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
no truss rod at all? what about re-enforcement?

if there is no truss or re-enforcement then it will bend.

if there is re-enforcement in the neck it will only be able to take one string guage.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
^ Well, uh , no. I'm assuming he's talking about building his own bass, in which case he could make the neck out of oak, or another wood with similar qualities. An oak neck is not going to bend.
The type of wood wouldn't make much of a difference. Using a super hard wood will only be prolonging the inevitable as well as add unnecessary weight. Guitars without truss rods will last longer however the tension on a bass neck is so much greater then on a guitar that it is near impossible by design to have a neck that will last. The few basses out there without truss rods have crazy high action and aren't worth playing (that is the ones who's neck haven't snapped). Playable antique guitars without truss rods or reinforcement rods are quite rare because they ether have had their necks replaced or were tossed. Its possible but quite frankly highly undesirable and will limit your playing. Once the neck bends then you will need to replace it, it will be hard to play slap, you will be limited to a single string gauge, and the neck will be more susceptible to humidity.
Last edited by Hgtcore3 at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by anarkee
Wish basses come with optional truss rods.

wish basses also don't have quality control though
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by anarkee
Wish basses come with optional truss rods.

True, and I'm willing to bet that there are a few wishbasses that you could shoot arrows from...

edit: I know you didn't Tam, I just wasn't sure how else to word it. I'm bad at this
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 26, 2009,
I never said they were good guys. My initial reaction to the truss rod being an option was WTF? (Amongst other things about Wishbasses...)
Quote by anarkee
I never said they were good guys. My initial reaction to the truss rod being an option was WTF? (Amongst other things about Wishbasses...)

didn't dig the wooden bridges much either.

they were really just ugly.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity

Don't insult wooden bridges.

BAR!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by the humanity

agreed
Quote by Nutter_101
Don't insult wooden bridges.

BAR!

opinion=/=insult.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
opinion=/=insult.

LIES!

Quote by the humanity
The wooden bridges were very poor quality and it is fact that they are a bad idea in every sense of the word. GOOD DAY SIR.

I rest my case!

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
LIES!

I rest my case!

he's putting words in my mouth!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

just bend the neck back and forward as you play, like billy sheehnan or someone.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by the humanity

he's putting words in my mouth!

count yourself lucky, i heard last time he got into an argument he put more than words into the other person's mouth if you know what i mean
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle