I was just trying to tune my high e string to d and it snapped. I don't know if I was tuning the wrong way and wasn't paying attention or what but I don't know what to do...this is my first electric and I've never changed strings on it. I've had it for less than a month. I don't know what to do...do I take it to a guitar shop and get the string replaced? How much would that cost?
if the strings are more then a month old, take it to the guitar shop and ask someone to string it for u and ask them how to string it and they will probably show u
Some times strings just break.

Replacing strings isn't hard.
A good set of strings shouldn't cost more than 4 bucks.
Look up guides on how to change strings, go out and buy a set of strings (ask the guy in the store for advice on which to get), and try fitting some yourself. Make sure to follow the guide/guides exactly, and you'll be fine. If it fails, you try again, its a necessary skill to any guitarist!

Use a guide with video and/or pictures.
And while your getting new strings, try .10s. A touch thicker, but can actually have tonal benefits, and snap much less often than .09s in my experiance.
Quote by Glavinage
Some times strings just break.

Replacing strings isn't hard.
A good set of strings shouldn't cost more than 4 bucks.

I play with GHS strings (never had any issues on breaking outside of my own stupidity), and they just cost $5...them and Ernie Ball strings seem to be awesome for the same price.
If you're brave, do what I did when I first started playing.. Buy a new set of strings and learn how to string it yourself. Probably one of the most important basic things you could learn to do for yourself
I've broken that string too because I strum upwards too much. It's an easy fix, and I got a stainless steel one for only $1.17 and that has tax already. If you can't restring it yourself, take it to a shop and they'll replace the string for free (but you have to pay for the string), unless they charge you for service, which wouldn't cost that much. But I do recommend that if you get it restrung, get them all restrung because sometimes the factory ones that came on your guitar suck. It'll cost more, but they'll be alot better.
Quote by Sami Philadelph
ahhh...newbdom
I remember when my strings snapped for the first time and I was like "WTF"

I almost started crying because I thought my guitar was broken forever.
Earnie Ball 10's (regular)... dont break and last a good bit of time....

-just a thought, does your guitar have locking nuts on the end of the neck to lock the strings (to stay in tune) , if it does, maybe you forgot to unlock the nut to tune it
def get some 10's and please learn to do it yourself...plenty of videos to show you on the internet
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
It's really not hard to restring a guitar.

I remember the first time I broke a string, I was six and messing around with the tuning keys and I broke it, and it shot up and gave me a big cut in the face. I cried.
Quote by Xnex X
I was just trying to tune my high e string to d and it snapped. I don't know if I was tuning the wrong way and wasn't paying attention or what but I don't know what to do...this is my first electric and I've never changed strings on it. I've had it for less than a month. I don't know what to do...do I take it to a guitar shop and get the string replaced? How much would that cost?

OH MY GOD PEOPLE!

were you tuning up or down? To tune to D, you have to tune DOWN a whole step. Its very quick and should not snap your string.

Better luck next time!
Quote by customisbetter
OH MY GOD PEOPLE!

were you tuning up or down? To tune to D, you have to tune DOWN a whole step. Its very quick and should not snap your string.

Better luck next time!

It's not exactly unheard of to snap a string tuning down you know...
The guitar is new to you but who knows how long the strings have been on the guitar. So they are gonna be alot older than 1 month. If I get a new guitar I change the strings anyways. But it something to get used to strings break.
Quote by Pac_man0123
It's not exactly unheard of to snap a string tuning down you know...

indeed. its kinda mystifying when it does happen too :S
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.