Modern metalcore and modern melodeath are really similar (being the main reason why I dislike both of them for the most part).
Yes, metalcore has chugging breakdowns in some cases, but obviously not all of them do, and just because a band has a breakdown doesn't make them metalcore.
The difference is just something you can "feel" after a while; you're just able to tell.
Last edited by dminishedthingy at Jan 25, 2009,
Melodic Death Metal sounds very epic, while Metalcore sounds very dirty and thrashy.

At least by my experience. I'm not a metal guy.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by dminishedthingy
Modern metalcore and modern melodeath are really similar (being the main reason why I dislike both of them for the most part).
Yes, metalcore cas chugging breakdowns in some cases, but obviously not all of them do, and just because a band has a breakdown doesn't make them metalcore.
The difference is just something you can "feel" after a while; you're just able to tell.

+1
Metalcore is (well, was intended to be) melodic death metal with more of a hardcore vibe going on (which somehow translates to breakdowns nowadays). Melodic death metal (again, was intended to be) death metal with more melodic melodies instead of atonal riffing.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

The stereotypical melodeath bands have keyboards with death metal-style vocals, but more with a groove. Look at bands like Children of Bodom

Metalcore bands are basically thrash metal bands that have lead vocals with screaming/growls, and really only the chorus and the backing vocals will have melodic singing, either replacing or going along with it. Bands like All That Remains are perfect examples

I can't stand Metalcore, and only a little Melodeath is cool. I'm more into older metal, and both of these genres didn't come out to the 90's, MAYBE late 80's at the earliest

Metalcore = Thrash metal (Metallica, Slayer, etc) with Death metal (Death, Possessed..) smashed together

Melodic Death Metal = Death Metal and Power/Progressive Metal put together
Last edited by The Shroom420 at Jan 25, 2009,
so what would metalcore be if it didn't have the breackdowns? i dont listen to melodic death metal, unless thats what dethklok is counted as melodeath. but i do listen to a lot of metalcore so i can say they also usually have clean verses but thats melodic metalcore (Trivium BFMV and waking the fallen from A7X ) but i also listen to straight metalcore like Unearth all of which have breakdowns usually before the solo. if i'm not mistaken All That Remains is metalcore as well but i only have overcome and i've never really payed close enough attention to hear breakdowns, and Five Finger Death Punch is somewhere in metalcore i think melodic but most of their entire song is a breakdown until the choruses which have a lot of nice mini solo backing progressions.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Not all Metalcore sounds like Melodeath though. Bands like As I Lay Dying have obvious Melodeath influences, whereas Lamb of God and Killswitch Engage don't.

I find Metalcore to be really redundant though, with the exception of a few bands which shall not be named due to my not wanting to start an argument.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by The Shroom420

Metalcore = Thrash metal (Metallica, Slayer, etc) with Death metal (Death, Possessed..) smashed together

wtf

if you were to put slayer and death together by no means would get ****ing metalcore
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by The Shroom420

Okay, so basically you're an idiot. Got it.
REAL metalcore is a fusion of metal and hardcore (short for hardcore punk), and it is for the most part, quite decent.

Melodic metalcore is the watered-down melodeath you guys speak of, and it is mostly shit, throwing breakdowns everywhere for the fuck of it, cause it makes scene kids orgasm. They make music for the crowd, not for themselves, and as such they're hardly different from other mainstream bile.

They should honestly call it something else, not metalcore :s, because there isn't any hardcore in there, and the metal is so bastardized that it doesn't deserve the tag.

Examples of good metalcore: Botch, Converge, 7 Angels 7 Plagues, Shai Hulud, Premonitions of War, Architects, Protest the Hero.
Last edited by Lappo at Jan 25, 2009,
1. Melodic Death Metal is good
2. Metalcore is bad.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Underjoggle
Melodic Death Metal sounds very epic, while Metalcore sounds very dirty and thrashy.

At least by my experience. I'm not a metal guy.

Clearly.

EDIT: They both suck.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by The Shroom420
The stereotypical melodeath bands have keyboards with death metal-style vocals, but more with a groove. Look at bands like Children of Bodom

Metalcore bands are basically thrash metal bands that have lead vocals with screaming/growls, and really only the chorus and the backing vocals will have melodic singing, either replacing or going along with it. Bands like All That Remains are perfect examples

I can't stand Metalcore, and only a little Melodeath is cool. I'm more into older metal, and both of these genres didn't come out to the 90's, MAYBE late 80's at the earliest

Quote by technicolour
Converge does not suck my good sir >:[]

I thought we were talking about Modern Melodeath and Modern Metalcore.

EDIT: Besides, I meant the genres in general, there are a few melodeath bands I like, but it's in general a horrible genre.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Last edited by MetalMessiah665 at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by MetalMessiah665
I thought we were talking about Modern Melodeath and Modern Metalcore?

I consider converge metalcore
Quote by technicolour
Converge does not suck my good sir >:[]

+1

MM, refer to my post :p
Quote by technicolour
I consider converge metalcore

I know they're Metalcore. Read the edit of my other post, btw.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Converge was the band that basically popularized (if not created) the whole idea of metalcore, right? Just curious, I'm not really familiar with them but I've heard good things.
Quote by Lappo
REAL metalcore is a fusion of metal and hardcore (short for hardcore punk), and it is for the most part, quite decent.

Melodic metalcore is the watered-down melodeath you guys speak of, and it is mostly shit, throwing breakdowns everywhere for the fuck of it, cause it makes scene kids orgasm. They make music for the crowd, not for themselves, and as such they're hardly different from other mainstream bile.

They should honestly call it something else, not metalcore :s, because there isn't any hardcore in there, and the metal is so bastardized that it doesn't deserve the tag.

Examples of good metalcore: Botch, Converge, 7 Angels 7 Plagues, Shai Hulud, Premonitions of War, Architects, Protest the Hero.

well i have to say something to that, i listen to melodic metalcore, and musically speaking i enjoy it. but as you say melodic metalcore bands make music for the fans and not for themselves, but I want to make music that sounds like that for myself because i like melodic heavyness, so you can't really say all melodic metalcore is for mainstream success. and i believe in my opinion that Trivium does a good job of keeping the metal in their songs at least on Shogun.
and on another note where does Unearth fall, they have breakdowns but they still have that Metalcore spirit of "kick you in the teeth" so are the regular metalcore or what?
and Protest the hero is a subgenre of Metalcore they're aren't straight metalcore they devulge into mathcore, but nonetheless you can definately hear the punk/hardcore influences in their songs.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Last edited by F8iscruel at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by MetalMessiah665
I know they're Metalcore. Read the edit of my other post, btw.

Ah I see, then I'd say I probably agree. Although I really like the Black dahlia murder despite their genericness.

And to the guy who asked Converge was I think one of the founding bands of metalcore, but oddly enough, they don't sound like what you think of when you think of metalcore. They're are an extremely heavy band, heavy in the sense that their sound weighs down on you. And vocals are one of the most insane things I've ever heard in music.
Quote by technicolour
Ah I see, then I'd say I probably agree. Although I really like the Black dahlia murder despite their genericness.

And to the guy who asked Converge was I think one of the founding bands of metalcore, but oddly enough, they don't sound like what you think of when you think of metalcore. They're are an extremely heavy band, heavy in the sense that their sound weighs down on you. And vocals are one of the most insane things I've ever heard in music.

Hmm... I may have to check them out then. What's a good starting album?
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by technicolour

Exactly. Most good metalcore bands are old, and they sound nothing like the current crap that calls itself metalcore.

I've referred to this misconception so many times

And like I said earlier, I wish all the modern metalcore would stop calling itself metalcore, as it's what causes this confusion :|
Quote by Lappo

^this guy knows what hes talking about...
too bad metalcore sucks,and so does melodeath
(in their current mainstream forms)
Quote by dminishedthingy
Yes, metalcore has chugging breakdowns in some cases, but obviously not all of them do, and just because a band has a breakdown doesn't make them metalcore.

Quote by Lappo

Both of these sum up my theoretical replies and as such are worthy of being enumerated as a form of response to show my agreement.
Quote by Lappo
Exactly. Most good metalcore bands are old, and they sound nothing like the current crap that calls itself metalcore.

I've referred to this misconception so many times

And like I said earlier, I wish all the modern metalcore would stop calling itself metalcore, as it's what causes this confusion :|

most of the time, bands don't label themselves their fans do and so do the people who hate them. and you'd have a hard time getting people to change their conception of bands. for example just because i remember reading about it My Chemical Romance has stated numerous times that they are not an emo band anymore they are rock band, and its the people who hate them that label them as emo, their fans label them whatever the band wants them to, and reviewers will call them what they think is popular at the time in that vein of music culture. so you'd have to change the mentalitly of every single person who listens to music to stop calling bands in the melodic metalcore genre melodic metalcore, and just a question what would call the genre i'm trying to think of one but i can't think of anything that fits.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Heaven Shall Burn.
Everyone calls them metalcore.
If you listen to them, they're melodeath with some chug riffs every now and again and a few breakdowns. No core vocals, no two step parts, no pointless breakdowns, with death vocals, In Flames riffs and an admirable view on the world.
But no. Because they came out around the same time as Caliban and all the other "modern metalcore" bands, they instantly got lumped in the same group.
^ (F8iscruel) yeah, you make good points.

I suppose it'll take guys like me (and magero) till the end of eternity to explain to the uninformed folk the monumental difference between good and bad metalcore :P
Quote by Lappo
^ yeah, you make good points.

I suppose it'll take guys like me for the end of eternity to explain to the uninformed folk the monumental difference between good and bad metalcore :P

yah or you could just listen to the good stuff, and chuckle silently to yourself when you hear two people talking about metalcore bands that aren't actually metalcore, hell you might end up chuckling at me if you do
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Last edited by F8iscruel at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by MetalMessiah665
Hmm... I may have to check them out then. What's a good starting album?

Jane Doe, No heroes