Poll: Should I leave the band?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I leave the band?
Yes
23 74%
No
8 26%
Voters: 31.
So me and my friends started a band like a year ago, and I'm thinking of leaving it. So here's the situation...I'm the lead guitarist of my band (Little more then 2 years of experience so I would say I'm ok, but not really good enough to be the lead guitarist of a band).

I have a rhythm guitarist, who I'm pretty sure doesn't take guitar or the band seriously at all. He got a Squire strat a year ago and a Marshall MG10. I told him we should wait a while before we even consider starting a band, and he said "No, come on let's do it." So I just said whatever. I swear throughout the whole year he's had his guitar he hasn't practiced AT ALL. He's too lazy to look up basic chords, scales and other info he needs (tuning, changing strings, etc.). I have to do everything for him, which is really pissing me off. However, one thing that's important to know, is that he does A LOT of stuff after school and over the weekends that takes up a lot of his time, but to me that's not enough of an excuse after a whole year.

The drummer is good, and a cool guy. He's not a problem. The singer is fine too. He's not the best singer though but he's decent. Our bassist rarely even shows up to practice, and yesterday when he finally did, he didn't even bring his bass.

So now you might be wondering, "Why don't you just kick out the rhythm guitarist and bassist?" or most likely "I don't care." Well the thing I feel like the only one who even cares about the band, but these guys are like my closest friends (some of them).

One problem with leaving the band is that I am not a very social person, so I don't have a lot of friends, and none of the other ones play instruments, so it's going to be hard to start a new band.

I think that's it, so I'm going to need some outside opinions, should I leave the band? I thank anyone who helps me out.

tl;dr: I've been in a band with some of my closest friends for over a year now. The rhythm guitarist doesn't practice and still doesn't know the basics, the drummer and singer are fine but seem unenthusiastic, and the bassist doesn't even show up. It would be hard to find people to make a new band with if I leave.
just stop going to practices like they do. it sounds like there is no band, just let it die by itself. Its not like you're playing shows or something anyways
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Leave man. That sounds really ****ty.
There's always people willing to start a band.
Just look around. Go to shows, clinics, stores, etc and talk with the musicians in there, once you get to know them and you see that they'd be great in a band with you, ask them to jam. Do that for a while then pass the idea of starting a band.
You'll be well on your way in no time.
you can always keep playing with them without leaving the band and still play with other people too. try playing with some new people and see what you think
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
i am in a similar situation, but i'm looking for another guitarist and it's my bassist who seems like he barely plays, but he's my best friend so i don't know. you could always go to as many music stores in your area and post want ads if you leave the band, so i say give each guy one more chance, then if it doesn't work out, go ahead and leave and start looking for a band to join or start a different one.
basically the same thing with me and my old band.

yes, quit!
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
just tell them to smarten up or you're leaving.
if they dont listen, leave.
i find that starting a band with friends is not the best idea.....i have almost the same problem but it mostly lies with our guitarist.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
like you know your singer and drummer are fine. just go with that. rhythm guitars if good if you have the right songs but it sounds like youd be better off without one. as for bass, talk to your singer about learning some basic bass lines and see if hes willing to work on singing and playing a bass. if not, whatever.
you should tell the rhythm guitarist to leave the band, if you feel he'll be upset or offended try to say him that you kicked him out of the band because he didn't practiced enough time.
for the bassist, you should kick him out too, if he asks: "why?", just answer : "because you never come to the practices".
for the singer and the drummer, they could stay, until you have a problem with them, like the other 2 guys.

to know more musicians, I agree with RX120D, you should go to shows, clinics, stores, etc.
Quote by ttamland34
actually, dont leave. just kick the bassist and other guitarist out.

The thing is the guitarist is the one who started the band, so I'd feel kind of bad for kicking him out of his own band, whether he takes it seriously or not.

Quote by k.i.k.e.
you should tell the rhythm guitarist to leave the band, if you feel he'll be upset or offended try to say him that you kicked him out of the band because he didn't practiced enough time.
for the bassist, you should kick him out too, if he asks: "why?", just answer : "because you never come to the practices".
for the singer and the drummer, they could stay, until you have a problem with them, like the other 2 guys.

to know more musicians, I agree with RX120D, you should go to shows, clinics, stores, etc.

I kind of do have a problem with them, they just don't seem into it just like the guitarist and bassist, and I'm beginning to question whether or not I'm satisfied with the singer's voice.
Quote by The_Shape
The thing is the guitarist is the one who started the band, so I'd feel kind of bad for kicking him out of his own band, whether he takes it seriously or not.

I kind of do have a problem with them, they just don't seem into it just like the guitarist and bassist, and I'm beginning to question whether or not I'm satisfied with the singer's voice.

If he doesn't care about the band then why should the *band* care about him? It would just be a huge blob of neutrality and not caring.

Notice I starred the band. Don't start becoming a control freak kicking people out just because you don't like them. If the band likes them and you don't, they stay and you either deal with it or leave.

Unless the band is ok with you being their dictator.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
well if you have to ask, then more than likely the answer if yes, get your ass out.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Yeah, basicaly take the band as seriously as the other guys do, it'll eventualy either fizzle out without any hard feelings or the other guys will realise that if they continue the way they are going they will lose the band and may even start putting more effort in.
Either way, you win. You either get out of a bad situation in a fuss free way or the band improves.
Keep "jamming" with your current "band" - and look for other people to play with as well - maybe even invite other people to jam with you, the drummer and the singer. Just don't think of your current group as a band. Look at it as "practice playing with other musicians."
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
If you enjoy playing with them, keep with it. If you want a pretty serious band, leave and tell everyone that you want only people who are serious about it and can play decent.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
just start looking for a new band, but keep going to practice with this band. if people are messing around, just do what you want. if buddy can't get his guitar tuned, tell him to go home and figure it out. if the bassist doesn't show up, just play without bass.
I was in the same situation. Me and our other guitarist were good, our drummer, singer, and bassist weren't good enough for the covers we wanted to do (they're better at just jamming), and we didn't know anyone that wasn't in a band and played an instrument well enough for us.

But, then our bassist's old band broke up and we asked so another one of our friends, but had never heard play the drums, to drum for us. We took a chance and turns out hes actually really good.

Basically, what I'm saying is to wait it out, stay in your current band, then when you find better people, start a new band. I'm still in my old band as well, we only get together like once every one or two months for a jam session though, where as my new band practices nearly everyday.

-Souls United