Ok so over the next few weeks i'm getting myself some pedals/kits.

What i was wondering was what is the best order to put the pedals.

What i'm getting/making is

Tubescreamer Clone
Stratoblaster booster pedal (for going from single coil to active pickup volume pretty much)
Wah
Tuner
Delay (nova delay specifically)
A/B switch to switch between low and high gain inputs on my amp.

Would i be wrong in saying that the fx chain would be

Guitar > Tuner (so i can also use it as a mute thing as well) > Wah > A/B > Low/High Gain inputs > FX Loop > Tube screamer > Booster > Delay.

The delay is the only thing i'm really not sure about but i know for what i want it should be in the fx loop.

any advice or tips would be great.
I never thought it was a good idea to get a bunch of new gear/pedals all at once...you don't get as intimate and experienced with each piece I find.

On topic, people/I usually don't/wouldn't put an overdrive (TS) in the fx loop, as far as I know.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Jan 25, 2009,
IMO the only thing I would put in the FX loop would be the delay. Everything else I would put in front of the amp.

I'd try guitar>tuner>wah>booster>TS>A/B box>amp input>FX out>delay>FX in

Time based effects are for the FX loop. Such as delays and reverb. Not necessarily your OD and boosts.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
oh i spend lots of time dialling in my tone... i've only just got it right with my amp... and i have to do it again coz i'm getting a new cab.

Wouldnt having the booster and TS before the preamp just add more gain... not the volume increases? That's what i've read anyway. The booster i think i might put before the preamp, but the TS i want for the extra boost in volume and gain.
Last edited by doommaker at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by doommaker
oh i spend lots of time dialling in my tone... i've only just got it right with my amp... and i have to do it again coz i'm getting a new cab.

Wouldnt having the booster and TS before the preamp just add more gain... not the volume increases? That's what i've read anyway. The booster i think i might put before the preamp, but the TS i want for the extra boost in volume and gain.

I don't know then, are you just using it as a clean boost?
the booster im using to fatten up my tone and boost the volume a bit with my strat, so i can swicth to humbuckers/active humbuckers without it sounding weak. The TS i'm using for lead stuff to give me that edge during solos, or when i do need extra gain.. i don't use much on my amp.
If you put a OD in front of the amp dime the level and zero the gain. Then EQ to taste you will get a volume boost without added gain. It might color the tone of the gain a bit by tightening it up. I have a TS in front of my amp the same way as I just described. I never turn it off. Just because I like how it tightens the gain up a bit.

Per say you could use it in the FX loop as you described. But don't be afraid to experiment. And find YOUR tone.
That's the beauty of individual pedals.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Yeah ok, i'll definately have to experiment then... haha too many cables.. to the board, 2 to the inputs, 2 to the fx loop :P 5 10ft cables :P haha oh well.

Any other suggestions? I think i'll definately try that OD trick, it sounds good.
Quote by doommaker
Ok so over the next few weeks i'm getting myself some pedals/kits.

What i was wondering was what is the best order to put the pedals.

What i'm getting/making is

Tubescreamer Clone
Stratoblaster booster pedal (for going from single coil to active pickup volume pretty much)
Wah
Tuner
Delay (nova delay specifically)
A/B switch to switch between low and high gain inputs on my amp.

Would i be wrong in saying that the fx chain would be

Guitar > Tuner (so i can also use it as a mute thing as well) > Wah > A/B > Low/High Gain inputs > FX Loop > Tube screamer > Booster > Delay.

The delay is the only thing i'm really not sure about but i know for what i want it should be in the fx loop.

any advice or tips would be great.

HI LEIGH!

Your effects chain should be:
Tuner -> Wah -> Booster -> OD -> A/B
You want the OD in front of the amp with level at about 3 o'clock and gain at about 8 or 9 o'clock to get more of a clean and tight sound (best off using it as a booster, since you have a crunch channel.

Delay can go in the effects loop, but it really depends on personal preference and where it sounds clearest and brightest, if you prefer it in front, put it at the end of the chain since you want the delay to affect the already overdriven signal.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
HIII KIERANN!!

Any advantages/disadvantages to putting it in the loop? Or the front?

Reason i ask is coz i DO have that booster... that being said it'll be mostly the strat booster more than anything.

Here's hoping my fx loop gets grounded when i get it back :P i rang guitar factory today, that guy is an ass.
Nah mate, it's all about finding what sounds clearest, there's not really any rules to effects chains, mainly guidelines to get the clearest and sharpest sound throughout. I'm thinking the Strat booster will be on most of the time when using the Strat, won't it? I just also thought that a noise gate may be necessary to tame a bit of the single coil hum (either Rocktron Hush or ISP Decimator, though the ISP is better)

Yeah, here's hoping mate, I get my broken MuRF back tomorrow lol.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Yay for lots of true bypass!!!

The booster may get another use, that being said i won't be using fx most of the time, just the booster for the strat and the TS for balls.

Let me know when you guys wanna record some more. The noise gate i'll definately look into.

Bloody hell i'll have a pretty decent pedal board soon.

Where would i put the gate in btw? I like to do my research. Is the ISP 80 dollars better than the rocktron? They both just look like expanders with downward push and a threshold control for the sensor.
Last edited by doommaker at Jan 27, 2009,
Yeh, I know you won't use yours like I do mine, with 3 channels, you do enough stomping as it is. I assumed that was how you were going to use the OD/boost, so hence why I recommended you put the OD after the boost so you are overdriving the hot signal as opposed to boosting an overdriven signal and subsequently, getting a muddier tone.

Probably tomorrow if you are free.

The gate would go at the very end of the chain (excluding delay, which would go after) so that you are cutting out all the noise of the pedals before it reaches the amp. That being siad, you are pretty much right about the noise gate, but the ISP is cleaner and less noticeable. THe best you can get is the ISP Decimator ProRack G but that is very pricey, but I'm asumming, being a studio tech, you would know about gates.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Ah, forgot to reply again!

You are better off with the gate in front of the amp. It will be a bit useless in the FX loop, and the gain will be a little fizzy I would anticipate because the gate is applied after the gain stages of the amp.

Hell, you may not even need the Decimator.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM