I'm planning on forming a band this year but I have something I'm worrying about. I'm planning on there being two lead vocalists/songwriters, me being one. So the songs we play will be written by both of us, but IF the band does split, who claims ownership of the songs if we both contributed to them?

No one gets them.

They go to the none writing/vocalists.

Edit: Seriously, I don't know.. but I think you would just have to work it out.
In New Zealand you get automatic copyright for anything you make (pretty sure), I think it' s intellectual property of the band, or maybe just you 2, dunno.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
something similar happened to me, but after he got them because he formed another band with our past drummer, so he had the mayority of the band in his new band, but i was alone in another band, but after all i went pretty good, i have better songs now, check out http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/azoteaa/
Study Pink Floyd's legal battles, that should give you a sense of something...
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
dude your just starting a band and your already thinking about the break up? be positive!
well it depends, i think technically anything co-written by you guys would belong to the both of you, meaning you both have the right to use the song how you see fit when money isn't involved but when it is both sides will probably have to agree on the deal, as for the songs written by you and the songs written by him the ones you wrote are yours and the ones he wrote his.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
i think you both get equal rights to the songs
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Yamaha F-130 Acoustic Guitar
  • Epiphone SG special edition Guitar
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
you're just starting a band.. 99.9999999999999% of the time you won't make it past a few local gigs at best... if you do "make it", you aren't gonna use your first songs ever written... don't worry about it.. have fun
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by F8iscruel
well it depends, i think technically anything co-written by you guys would belong to the both of you, meaning you both have the right to use the song how you see fit when money isn't involved but when it is both sides will probably have to agree on the deal, as for the songs written by you and the songs written by him the ones you wrote are yours and the ones he wrote his.

this

Now, whether you both own the songs equally depends on whether you wrote them equally. This is where lots of disputes come from. McCartney went through a fairly lengthy legal battle because all the songs written by him are listed as Lennon/McCartney (alphabetical), and even if McCartney wrote the bulk of the song for a number of them, they're still never listed as McCartney/Lennon.

It has the potential to have monetary implications, as well as control rights.

If the co-writership is agreed to be equal, then you list the names alphabetically. Where it really makes a difference is how you divvy up the porportions when you register the songs with your performing rights organization and your mechanical licensing organization. For a bit more on that, check the 'copyright for dummies' thread in Musician Talk that is starting to take shape.

CT

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.