I'm curious if there is a general consensus about which years are considered good or bad for Fender Strats? I see a lot of people say stay clear of early 1970s to mid 1980s Gibson. Did Fender go through a similar period where to the strats were poor?

(Reason I am asking is I found a pretty nice 1978 and am curious if that is considered a 'off year').
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Well, every time period has gems that beat out most modern ones, but in general, Fender quality went down in the CBS-era.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Well, every time period has gems that beat out most modern ones, but in general, Fender quality went down in the CBS-era.

So in general post 1965 sucks? When did they start to improve then?
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
In my humble opinion the best are pre 1965... Back when Leo owned fender

Look at the American vintage '57 or '62 models, '62 is my fav but I'm definitely not saying that the model you are locking at is bad, not that i have any experience with it...
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
In my humble opinion the best are pre 1965... Back when Leo owned fender

Look at the American vintage '57 or '62 models, '62 is my fav but I'm definitely not saying that the model you are locking at is bad, not that i have any experience with it...

That's probably correct but there is a big difference between spending $20,000 for a 1959 versus $2,000 for a 1979.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by jcoley2
So in general post 1965 sucks? When did they start to improve then?

Well, Hendrix, Townshend and Harrison all played CBS-era Fenders I believe(though, unless Jimi custom-ordered the necks, his strat necks were refitted from pre-CBS strats since they were maple for the most part), so like I said, there were plenty of good guitars back then(back when most stuff wasn't fully-automated and hand-made and hard to get crap with) even when quality decreased.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Well, Hendrix, Townshend and Harrison all played CBS-era Fenders I believe(though, unless Jimi custom-ordered the necks, his strat necks were refitted from pre-CBS strats since they were maple for the most part), so like I said, there were plenty of good guitars back then(back when most stuff wasn't fully-automated and hand-made and hard to get crap with) even when quality decreased.

Hendrix used a CBS strat for woodstock, his most known and loved (to some) "era" so to speak.

Now the best fender WERE the pre-CBS ones, however, most modern guitarists would hate 'em, they had 3 way-switches (stock) very vintage sounding pickups (this is easy to change but at the time it wasn't as easy to come by replacement pickups) 21 frets, and obviously the classic strat knob set up (no bridge tone knob), many people (myself included) could live easy with this, but alot of the modern guitarists who say that new strats suck cos they're CBS probably couldn't live with a stock CBS strat.

Anyway, this isn't about the best periods it's about the worst, the late 60s were fine, people do like these strats, however, I think it was the late 70s that had a bit of a down-period. I'm not sure in how, but I know people complain about the 70s strats, you can even get them for the price of current strats (well, current higher end strats) which is sayin' something.