I was wondering what program many film scorers use to compose music for movies (if they don't use live instruments such as string ensembles).
Is there a program you can get that has a great load of samples of different instruments?
Sorry if this is confusing.
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
Quote by brockg1214
Like Finale?

Yea..I was thinking something like that.
Just wondering if maybe there were other programs..

But to add to my question, where would you find some of those noises, like the ones used in horror movies? I'm talking about noises that aren't actual instruments persay; they're sometimes used in those quick scenes to scare people.
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
Quote by hothead69999

But to add to my question, where would you find some of those noises, like the ones used in horror movies? I'm talking about noises that aren't actual instruments persay; they're sometimes used in those quick scenes to scare people.

I think alot of movie sounds are done on a keyboard.
Quote by hothead69999

You can usually buy lots of add-on packs to those programs, which include thousands of sounds, whether they're instrument sounds or natural, everyday sounds, like squeezing or cracking.
FYI, that isn't arranging. Arranging is assigning parts to the various instruments. For instance, I could arrange a version of Let It Be to be entirely done by a choir, some singers taking care of the chords and others handling the lyrics, but I didn't write the song. It would be considered to be written by The Beatles and arranged by Sue [surname].
Quote by bangoodcharlote
FYI, that isn't arranging. Arranging is assigning parts to the various instruments. For instance, I could arrange a version of Let It Be to be entirely done by a choir, some singers taking care of the chords and others handling the lyrics, but I didn't write the song. It would be considered to be written by The Beatles and arranged by Sue [surname].

Yeah, I know. I just thought the term "arranging" was more suited to this forum than "sound effects" hehe.

And UNIe, you're talking about add-on packs to the computer program?
Quote by Seryaph
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Little more than that.
Some arrangers will only keep the changes and the melody. Some arrangers will even reharmonize the peice. They'll write new basslines, new voicings, new fills and sometimes they'll add notes to th melody.

I use a combination of FL and guitarpro.

Guitarpro for the notation (because it's easier for us idiot guitarists) and FL studio because it's easier and more suited for effects, synths, VST's and mastering than finale. I just finish my score in guitarpro and import it into FL.

Most film composers have an orchestra or at least a stringed quartet and are piano players. So they use sibelius and finale.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Little more than that.
Some arrangers will only keep the changes and the melody. Some arrangers will even reharmonize the peice. They'll write new basslines, new voicings, new fills and sometimes they'll add notes to th melody.

I use a combination of FL and guitarpro.

Guitarpro for the notation (because it's easier for us idiot guitarists) and FL studio because it's easier and more suited for effects, synths, VST's and mastering than finale. I just finish my score in guitarpro and import it into FL.

Most film composers have an orchestra or at least a stringed quartet and are piano players. So they use sibelius and finale.

They don't use sibelius.

They use a midi keyboard. You try to trigger every event on a score lol you will need 128th notes everywhere to match it up. Movie scenes don't have an mathematical structure (like music compositions have) Beat matching in formal writing is like transcribing zappa stuff.

They have the movie playing in front of them, and then they make notes of; where scene changes, action changes etc

Maybe they work it out on sibelius or arrange it to be later played by real instruments, but the first ideas come from "playing to the movie"

A movie producer isn't gonna cut his scenes to ur music lol, that only happens in videoclips.

It all happens "real time" for the best effect.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
They don't use sibelius.

They use a midi keyboard. You try to trigger every event on a score lol you will need 128th notes everywhere to match it up. Movie scenes don't have an mathematical structure (like music compositions have) Beat matching in formal writing is like transcribing zappa stuff.

They have the movie playing in front of them, and then they make notes of; where scene changes, action changes etc

Maybe they work it out on sibelius or arrange it to be later played by real instruments, but the first ideas come from "playing to the movie"

A movie producer isn't gonna cut his scenes to ur music lol, that only happens in videoclips.

It all happens "real time" for the best effect.

And before that, the conductor would conduct to the movie?
I mean... It makes sense but I'm pretty sure there's a full score of written parts involved. If you wanted to write it out in a midi sequenced program, do your best to get the parts close to what they should be, then sublty adjust the tempo in a realtime playback or something to get the parts that need to line up where you want them.

As for horror film noises, that can all be synched up during the editing process. Even the most basic editing software splits the audio and video for you. All you've gotta do is put that scary string hit in the audio track at the same point where something scary happens.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Last edited by Rebelw/outaCord at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
And before that, the conductor would conduct to the movie?

As for horror film noises, that can all be synched up during the editing process. Even the most basic editing software splits the audio and video for you.

music gets written to the movie. You can't write music and just edit it in. The music interacts and reacts to what happens on the screen. They make beat maps, and yes they used to do it with live orchestra's, which was way more expensive to do.

Here a random example to see how it's done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVlraJtlF9A

Scoring a movie isn't just writing an epic piece of music. It goes way deeper then that.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 26, 2009,
I use a combination of Finale and Soundtrack Pro
Fender Telecaster Deluxe MZ7006924
Crybaby 535Q
BOSS SD-1
ZVex Box of Rock
MXR 10-Band EQ
Ernie Ball VR Jr.
EHX The Clone Theory
Line6 ToneCore Echo Park
Fender Blues Jr.

Don't be sad, I know you will.
You can't write music and just edit it in.

You most certainly can. All audio (dialog included) is recorded separately and edited in later. A composer might record anywhere from a dozen to a few hundred pieces and present them to the director, who decides how to incorporate them into the film, or might suggest that a piece be rewritten in a certain way. Hell, Zimmer put all of his compositions for The Dark Knight on an iPod and gave it to Nolan (the director) during filming.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by hothead69999
I was wondering what program many film scorers use to compose music for movies (if they don't use live instruments such as string ensembles).
Is there a program you can get that has a great load of samples of different instruments?
Sorry if this is confusing.

Finale & sibelieus are more for notation.

PRograms like Logic Pro or Digital performer have been used for film scores.

Logic comes with alot of instruments, but if you really want to get into the orchestra samples be prepared to spend alot of money.