so i went to video games live ochestra yesterday. it was pretty cool. i've got to say, i was really amazed at all the songs they played. the show started with a metal gear solid theme and they ended it with castlevania. plus the band that wrote the theme for Need for Speed Underground played their song, and they also debuted the Theme for Halo 3:ODST

plus they had some cool contest. a costume contest and in the end the winner was a cloud strife guy. near the end they had a contestent play Sweet Emotions on expert on guitar hero. the guy beat the song and won a cool prize(games, gaming accessories, ect).

sadly i forgot to bring my camera with me, so i didn't record anything but here's a vid from someone who was there.
VIDEO GAMES LIVE - SEATTLE '09

anybody else's been to a Video Games Live concert?

discuss.

EDIT:
For those who think they are too cool to be caught enjoying a video game symphony. Don't Be Stupid, there were plenty of regular people there. Plus, you should try and appreciate the music.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Jan 25, 2009,
I didn't know they existed tbh. Now that I know about them, I won't be attending one any time soon.
Yeah as previously said, I've never heard of them and I wouldn't bother seeing them, even if they did come to Australia.
Quote by Ed Hunter
I took out a fly with my jet of piss once. I felt like God!

“This is ridiculous; my job is to sit here and do this bloo-loo-loo-loo, bloo-loo-loo-loo” - Paul Gilbert on sweep picking.
Quote by dio_dude
I didn't know they existed tbh. Now that I know about them, I won't be attending one any time soon.

you should give it a try.

i gotta say when i went there, there were alot of costumes man. in fact, there were so many Pokemon trainers i would think i ran into Metaldud a couple of times
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
they should get jim cook to play with them, he would make it epic gaming classical meets gaming meets metal
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
That is actually pretty cool. I think I'm geeky enough to go to one of those. It puts my two favorite things together: Music and Video games. Thanks for sharing.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Was Marty O'Donnell there?!
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I can imagine a version of this set up like a metal concert. If you trip while moshing, you're getting t-bagged.
Quote by atlasguitar
That is actually pretty cool. I think I'm geeky enough to go to one of those. It puts my two favorite things together: Music and Video games. Thanks for sharing.

you DON'T have to be geeky to go to one of those. while there were some obvious nerds, there were plenty of regular looking people.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Was Marty O'Donnell there?!

you mind telling me who that is? there were a few people there and alot of names were thrown around so i didn't quite remember them, but i you describe who he is, i might be able to remember.

EDIT: it was at a theater in seattle, so no one got to mosh pit.
twas pretty cool though
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
you DON'T have to be geeky to go to one of those. while there were some obvious nerds, there were plenty of regular looking people.

you mind telling me who that is? there were a few people there and alot of names were thrown around so i didn't quite remember them, but i you describe who he is, i might be able to remember.

This my good friend is Marty O'Donnell. He writes the music for the Bungie games. Most notably the Halo series. He also wrote the jingles for Mr.Clean and more notably for Flintstone's Vitamins.

Also, to all you Debby Downer's, Steve Vai has performed at VGL before.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by jetfuel495
I'd go, provided there would be music from Zelda, Star Fox, F-Zero, Power Rangers, and stuff...

power rangers was a T.V. show before anything else, i don't think they would put that in there, i would love to see them do Banjo Kazooie or Sonic the hedge hog (act 1 to be precise)
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

This my good friend is Marty O'Donnell. He writes the music for the Bungie games. Most notably the Halo series. He also wrote the jingles for Mr.Clean and more notably for Flintstone's Vitamins.

Also, to all you Debby Downer's, Steve Vai has performed at VGL before.

Yeah that's the guy!
he and his buddy did lead a quick 30 second choir
plus they premiered the Theme to HALO 3:ODST
Quote by jetfuel495
I'd go, provided there would be music from Zelda, Star Fox, F-Zero, Power Rangers, and stuff...

according to them, they always change up the music at every location as to not dull people.

and yes thay have all that. they played the music from
Metal Gear Solid
Zelda
Metroid
God of War
Halo 3:ODST
Castlevania (metal symphony style )

just to name a few

Quote by F8iscruel
power rangers was a T.V. show before anything else, i don't think they would put that in there, i would love to see them do Banjo Kazooie or Sonic the hedge hog (act 1 to be precise)

you bet your ass they played ACT 1
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
Yeah that's the guy!
he and his buddy did lead a quick 30 second choir
plus they premiered the Theme to HALO 3:ODST

GODDAMIT! Why the hell did I not go!
*smacks forehead*

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
GODDAMIT! Why the hell did I not go!
*smacks forehead*

oh ****!
i just noticed you're in Washington too

you should've gone man
i mean IT WAS THE WORLD PREMIER
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone

you bet your ass they played ACT 1

nice did they do spring yard zone, and i got another one Super mario bros 3 world 4
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by SomebodySomeone
oh ****!
i just noticed you're in Washington too

you should've gone man
i mean IT WAS THE WORLD PREMIER

Yeah, well, I'll just have to talk to Marty about it on his fan group on Bungie.net.

I am part of Video Game Orchestra, which is based in Berklee. We're in partnership with Video Game Live and the founder of VGL actually came to our concert to give a speech during intermission. VGL is awesome.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Isn't Xiaoxi part of that?

Damn, though. I wish I had been there.

EDIT: God damn. Posted right before me.
Quote by F8iscruel
nice did they do spring yard zone, and i got another one Super mario bros 3 world 4

yeah they did spring yard zone.
they didn't do SMB 3 world 4 though
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by Flying Couch
Isn't Xiaoxi part of that?

Damn, though. I wish I had been there.

EDIT: God damn. Posted right before me.

lol

Video Game Live is based in California. Video Game Orchestra is based in Boston. VGL is a full on professional ensemble with a big budget whereas VGO is student-ran and non-profit.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I am part of Video Game Orchestra, which is based in Berklee. We're in partnership with Video Game Live and the founder of VGL actually came to our concert to give a speech during intermission. VGL is awesome.

that's really cool

i heard that both founders of VGL had to put in there own resources to fund the project because certain people didn't believe it'd be a succesful tour.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by Xiaoxi
lol

Video Game Live is based in California. Video Game Orchestra is based in Boston. VGL is a full on professional ensemble with a big budget whereas VGO is student-ran and non-profit.

I just remember something you posted in the pic thread that one time and thought they might be the same thing.
Quote by Flying Couch
I just remember something you posted in the pic thread that one time and thought they might be the same thing.

Video Game Live:

Video Game Orchestra (try to spot me :P ):

I ain't afraid to admit it...VGL would put on a way cooler show

Quote by SomebodySomeone
that's really cool

i heard that both founders of VGL had to put in there own resources to fund the project because certain people didn't believe it'd be a succesful tour.

Yea, that's the same thing with the VGO right now. We just finished our 2nd season last semester, without the support of any of the schools around here. But after showing Berklee's administration the audience responses, we're finally going to be able to play in bigger, better venues and make money doing it. I guess many people think video game music is silly and cartoonish, and they were very surprised after hearing the scores from MGS and FF and now they want more.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Video Game Live:

I ain't afraid to admit it...VGL would put on a way cooler show

Yea, that's the same thing with the VGO right now. We just finished our 2nd season last semester, without the support of any of the schools around here. But after showing Berklee's administration the audience responses, we're finally going to be able to play in bigger, better venues and make money doing it. I guess many people think video game music is silly and cartoonish, and they were very surprised after hearing the scores from MGS and FF and now they want more.

yeah it's the same thing the guy was talking about during the show. people think video game music is just simple bits and beeps. but what they don't realize is that it takes a considerable amount of effort into making these scores. i hope you guys start getting some funding. i really don't listen to orchestras but seeing the music played live, made me appreciate it even more
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by Xiaoxi

mirite?
Quote by Xiaoxi
I guess many people think video game music is silly and cartoonish, and they were very surprised after hearing the scores from MGS and FF and now they want more.

Aye. I get that attitude a lot.
Quote by F8iscruel

and banjo kazooie - freez-eezie peak

edit: ^haha
doubledit: wait thats serious?.... hahahaha

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Last edited by chipmunksurfer at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by Flying Couch
mirite?

Niiiice. You deserve some e-ice cream cake!

Quote by SomebodySomeone
yeah it's the same thing the guy was talking about during the show. people think video game music is just simple bits and beeps. but what they don't realize is that it takes a considerable amount of effort into making these scores. i hope you guys start getting some funding. i really don't listen to orchestras but seeing the music played live, made me appreciate it even more

Yea. Nobuo Uematsu is actually a very good composer who has been doing a lot of great work in combining modern rock instruments with classical symphonic techniques. It's definitely something I'm paying attention to since I want to work in that direction.

Also, I don't really play a lot of games so I wasn't familiar with the music at all. However, I will most likely start working as an arranger for the VGO next year...so I better start playing hours and hours of video games...for work of course

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jan 26, 2009,
Yeah, they're pretty cool. We convinced our orchestra teacher to order one of their pieces last year and we ended up playing it at a concert. IIRC it was a medley of Halo, Civilization, Kingdom Hearts and some other stuff that I can't remember right now.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Haha, VGL is so much more badass.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by Xiaoxi
Niiiice. You deserve some e-ice cream cake!

Yea. Nobuo Uematsu is actually a very good composer who has been doing a lot of great work in combining modern rock instruments with classical symphonic techniques. It's definitely something I'm paying attention to since I want to work in that direction.

Also, I don't really play a lot of games so I wasn't familiar with the music at all. However, I will most likely start working as an arranger for the VGO next year...so I better start playing hours and hours of video games...for work of course

yeah i don't play many video games either. i only play very few, hell i didn't even know half of the video game music on the set. but it still was very cool experience.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by Davo Ownz
Didn't even know such a thing existed

i didn't either. i was taking the bus home from work one day while reading The Stranger (local newspaper) and i saw the advertisement in the music section.
so i decided, meh!, i guess i wouldn't hurt to enjoy some game music
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by mrcrono
Was that the thing with Tommy Tallarico? That guy is my hero.

yup
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock