im looking for the ultimate death metal rig. i thought i achieved that with the 6505 paired up with a uberkab stack... i'm still not satisfied. i'm looking for a fat round bottom end, pinch harmonic monster. the 6505 had balls to the wall but was kinda muddy on the low end. i play a drop b tuned jackson kevin bond. please recommend a kickass amp... cabs too
Budget?

diezel
VHT
Bogner
Splawn
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
For kicks, try tossing a clean boost or OD set low on the gain and high on the level in front of the amp. That might tighten it up enough to make you change your mind.
yeah that's a good idea to, maybe an EQ...

whats your EQ set at?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
yeah that's a good idea to, maybe an EQ...

whats your EQ set at?

bass 8 high 6 presence 9 gain 10

what about the engl powerball?

i kinda like the way the uberschall sounded... wish i could've heard it on a uberkab
Quote by shark slime

what about the engl powerball?

i kinda like the way the uberschall sounded... wish i could've heard it on a uberkab
I also recommend turning down your pre gain when playing at higher volume levels. Your tone and low end will come through clearer. 6505's are one of the amps that reacts really well with BBE Sonic Maximizers. They add some nice tightness and girth to your sound so maybe try one of those first.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I also recommend turning down your pre gain when playing at higher volume levels. Your tone and low end will come through clearer. 6505's are one of the amps that reacts really well with BBE Sonic Maximizers. They add some nice tightness and girth to your sound so maybe try one of those first.

sooo... i should give the ole 6505 another shot? what's the best cab for the 6505? never tried a vader
Vaders are fatass cabs. One of them oughta thicken up your sound pretty good. A Mesa cab might be worth trying too.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Before you bust out your wallet I recommend you spend a few hours messing with your settings, trying to improve your tone. Ppl in this topic have given some good suggestions.
Get a 4x12 ENGL cab , those lowends will get really fat n tight.
Orange Enthousiast.
i just took a sneak peek at the vht pitbull.... that amps looks pretty bad ass. havent read not one neg review on that amp. it sure is exspensive. i used to consider the uberschall that badest metal amp of all time... i think the pitbull will eat it for breakfast! i need to find a dealer and jam the hell out of it.
Quote by shark slime
i just took a sneak peek at the vht pitbull.... that amps looks pretty bad ass. havent read not one neg review on that amp. it sure is exspensive. i used to consider the uberschall that badest metal amp of all time... i think the pitbull will eat it for breakfast! i need to find a dealer and jam the hell out of it.

Look into the ENGL Powerball and Framus Cobra
WTLTL 2011
Quote by shark slime

You forgot mids and resonance.

Turn down the bass a bit, and turn down the gain to around 6 or 7, after about 6 1/2, the gain on the 6505 doesn't really increase any, it just gets muddier.

Boost it with an overdrive pedal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by shark slime

Well, there is your problem. Turn the gain back to 3-4, thats already enough for the hardest heaviest metal ever made. Higher than 4 and you get mud.

Just tried out some EQ settings for this topic. This is a killer amp setting, try it out:
Volume: 2
bass: 6
mid: 9
high: 2-3
gain: 4
resonance: 9
presence: 6

Its fecking brutal!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^^^When paired with what kind of speakers ?

Speakers often determine where your eq settings sound best.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
If your presence is to high it makes this amp sound like **** which is why a lot of people keep it at 0.

I keep my presence at 5. I used to keep it up high before I knew better.
The guy is right about not needing as much gain as you think. I could get by with it on 5. But I really like it on 6 because the leads sound kinda weak on 5. 6 is still clean. I use an OD to boost it. But I'm on a 6505+ which has a little less gain than the 6505.

If I was using a regular 6505 I'd probably have the gain on 5.
Quote by Van Noord
^^^When paired with what kind of speakers ?

Speakers often determine where your eq settings sound best.

G12H30
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by IbanezPsycho
"facepalm and shakes head"

What, he wants wild pinch harmonics.
There's no better way to get a high-gain sound than to crank an amp.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
What, he wants wild pinch harmonics.
There's no better way to get a high-gain sound than to crank an amp.

Cranking an amp doesn't give you a high gain sound.

High gain tube amps are high wattage because power tube saturation, in excess, will give too much sag and cause your tone to be less tight. A good balance of power tube saturation and preamp gain is what is usually desired.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

High gain tube amps are high wattage because power tube saturation, in excess, will give too much sag and cause your tone to be less tight. A good balance of power tube saturation and preamp gain is what is usually desired.

Ok, let me put it this way: buy whatever the **** Zakk Wylde uses and have high gain.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Ok, let me put it this way: buy whatever the **** Zakk Wylde uses and have high gain.

?

Now seriously, I'd do like the other guys said and try a treble booster or a clean OD and use less gain.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1

Also to add I can get Zakk style Pinch Harmonics with ease on my 6505+ with the gain at 5 and volume on .75-1. Its all in eq'ing properly, knowing your amp, knowing your guitar and technique.
Quote by LP_CL
G12H30
Does the OP also have those speakers? If he doesn't, then those settings will have to be changed.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by TheQuailman
(Invalid img)

?

Now seriously, I'd do like the other guys said and try a treble booster or a clean OD and use less gain.

That's Kerry Kings sig.
im headed out to go listen to a powerball. i'll let y'all in on the results when i get back
If you only want metal, you could also try the Fireball. It does metal only, but it does it well and it's way cheaper than a Powerball.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
That's Kerry Kings sig.

How bout this one?

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You forgot mids and resonance.

Turn down the bass a bit, and turn down the gain to around 6 or 7, after about 6 1/2, the gain on the 6505 doesn't really increase any, it just gets muddier.

Boost it with an overdrive pedal.

This.

You already have an excellent cab, no need to be replacing that.
Quote by shark slime
im looking for the ultimate death metal rig. i thought i achieved that with the 6505 paired up with a uberkab stack... i'm still not satisfied. i'm looking for a fat round bottom end, pinch harmonic monster. the 6505 had balls to the wall but was kinda muddy on the low end. i play a drop b tuned jackson kevin bond. please recommend a kickass amp... cabs too

Get an Ibanez TS9 and MXR 108, problem solved.

Honestly, if an Ibanez TS9 and an MXR108 infront of a Peavey 6505 Uberkab Stack (I'm assuming by stack you mean fullstack, as in 2 4x12s on eachother) can't get you a good Death Metal tone, then you must be tonedeaf. And if you cant get Pinch Harmonics incredibly easily with your current setup, then you really need to work on your technique. I get perfect Pinch Harmonics on every string on my Epi LP Special II, through a Peavey VK without the Gainboost feature on (Gain at 7, no boost. This pretty much sounds like Paul Gilbert level gain, which is great, but I need more for other genres)
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
First off, you didn't mention your mids. Try turning your bass down and your mids up. You'll get a tighter, beefier sound without nearly as much flub.

And yes, for the love of god turn your gain down 5 or 6 like the guy above me said.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 26, 2009,