what gives them the twangy sound? the pickups? because i got the 72 deluxe with two humbuckers and i still hear the twang.
It's a combination of 3 things:
  • Most importantly, the fact the bridge pickup is mounted onto the metal bridge unit itself, via it's own metal base plate. You can get a similar effect to this on other guitars by replacing all the pickup mounting rings and pickguard with metal ones too; having the pickup mounted in so much metal adds a lot of upper-frequency 'cut'.
  • The angle of the pickup. Doesn't apply to humbuckers so much since they're mounted flat, but singlecoils and twangbuckers in Teles are mounted at an angle so the pickup is closer to the bridge on the higher strings. If you just strum an unplugged guitar right next to the bridge then strum it again more in the middle, you can see what a difference this sort of position makes.
  • Stock Tele pickups tend to be very overwound in the bridge position, often twice the output of the neck pickup or higher. This gives them a lot of clarity and high-end response. Most singlecoils and twangbuckers for the bridge position don't have metal covers on them either, which increases the top-end response.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
It's a combination of 3 things:
  • Most importantly, the fact the bridge pickup is mounted onto the metal bridge unit itself, via it's own metal base plate. You can get a similar effect to this on other guitars by replacing all the pickup mounting rings and pickguard with metal ones too; having the pickup mounted in so much metal adds a lot of upper-frequency 'cut'.
  • The angle of the pickup. Doesn't apply to humbuckers so much since they're mounted flat, but singlecoils and twangbuckers in Teles are mounted at an angle so the pickup is closer to the bridge on the higher strings. If you just strum an unplugged guitar right next to the bridge then strum it again more in the middle, you can see what a difference this sort of position makes.
  • Stock Tele pickups tend to be very overwound in the bridge position, often twice the output of the neck pickup or higher. This gives them a lot of clarity and high-end response. Most singlecoils and twangbuckers for the bridge position don't have metal covers on them either, which increases the top-end response.

so do you suggest getting different pickups if id ont want the twang?
Most teles are also made of ash which adds a little twang. Everything that MrFlibble said is correct. But your humbuckers aren't mounted on the bridge, and it's made of alder. The only thing I can suggest is that the pole pieces on your pickups are slanted and are very close to the bridge.
Quote by JELIFISH19
But your humbuckers aren't mounted on the bridge, and it's made of alder.
D'oh, I forgot the Deluxes are mounted on the pickguard instead.

Quote by Russian1
so do you suggest getting different pickups if id ont want the twang?
You could replace the existing pickguard with a metal one, which would add some slight 'twang', though it wouldn't be much.

Ultimately the Deluxe isn't really meant to have the Tele twang, it was designed to compete with the Les Paul and SG. You could certainly make the guitar sound brighter (say, put a humbucker-sized P-90 single coil in the bridge, replace the pickguard with a metal one, change the pots and capacitors to let more high-end through, have the pickup raised slightly more on the treble side than on the bass side), but it'll never really react in quite the same way, and you might just be better off tweaking your EQ anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
D'oh, I forgot the Deluxes are mounted on the pickguard instead.

You could replace the existing pickguard with a metal one, which would add some slight 'twang', though it wouldn't be much.

Ultimately the Deluxe isn't really meant to have the Tele twang, it was designed to compete with the Les Paul and SG. You could certainly make the guitar sound brighter (say, put a humbucker-sized P-90 single coil in the bridge, replace the pickguard with a metal one, change the pots and capacitors to let more high-end through, have the pickup raised slightly more on the treble side than on the bass side), but it'll never really react in quite the same way, and you might just be better off tweaking your EQ anyway.

no i didnt say i wanted twang. i wanted to get rid of the twang. believe me the guitar has twang to it.
Dude, I hate to say it but if you don't want twang, a Tele is just not the guitar for you....you might try a strat instead.
The 72 deluxe has 4 adjust screws on each pick up so you can adjust it to lean back or forwards aswell as have the bass + treble sides higher or lower. Play around with the set up a little and see how you like it. If it is the same as the one I used to have you can roll back the volume to about 6 and it will have a slightly warmer tone without as much attack.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Why the **** did you buy a tele if you don't like the twang?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)