Okay this is my first post and I firgured you guys could help me out.

I have an epiphone dot, and an epi sg 310. My amp is a fender champ 90 solidstate.

I don't know if I should sell one of my guitars in order to get a new guitar or a new amp, preferably tube.

The guitar I want is a Michael Kelly Hourglass Q

I'm open to any tube amp.
New amp, certainly.

I don't think I've ever seen a single post on here where getting a new guitar has been a better choice than a new amp.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
price range?
Gear
American Deluxe Stratocaster
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
the epi dot is an amazing guitar, i wish i had one. Go with an amp.
Quote by EpiDot
What kind of amp should i get?

Depends on the style, but for rock, blues, Metal even county and jazz (yes you can get those sounds from them as well), only one amp will do...

MARSHALL!

Messa boogies, Fender twins,and Laney' are nice amps too, but it's hard to go over the old marshall.
What I did about 6 years ago was buy a nice tube amp that would last a long time.(Traynor YCV 80 2x12). And throughout the years, I have went through guitars like crazy, but always kept the amp. Buying an amp like that sort of sets the foundation for the future.

For a decent tube amp nowadays's, you should buy used if you can. Locally so you can try it out, or at least have enough good reviews online to buy it.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
You aren't going to find a very good tube amp from 200-350 in any music store. If you like blues, I would suggest buying a Fender Blues Junior off of Craig's List or Ebay, see if you can get a good deal, or maybe haggle at a local music store if they have a used one or something. They're small, portable, and have kick-ass tone, though they're a little different from most Fender tubes.
Quote by EpiDot
I play classic rock, alternative, some hard rock.

Definitely a Marshall, or Laney, but also ther Orange amps are good. Remeber as well that a tube is roughly twice as loud as a solid state of the same wattage, eg. a thirty watt tube produces as much volume as 60watt solid state. Good luck.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
Definitely a Marshall, or Laney, but also ther Orange amps are good. Remeber as well that a tube is roughly twice as loud as a solid state of the same wattage, eg. a thirty watt tube produces as much volume as 60watt solid state. Good luck.

He has a low budget,and I've never seen a decent tube Marshall for less than 1000,so that's a pointless suggestion.If you want a cheap tube amp you should look at brands like blackheart and crate or some of the lower wattage fender tube amps.You can also look on the used market for a good deal on something out of your price range if it were new.Also,the whole "twice as loud as a SS of the same wattage" thing is wrong.I've heard 40 watt tube amps that drown out 150 watt solid states,it really depends on what amp it is.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by HendrixClaptonP
Depends on the style, but for rock, blues, Metal even county and jazz (yes you can get those sounds from them as well), only one amp will do...

MARSHALL!

Messa boogies, Fender twins,and Laney' are nice amps too, but it's hard to go over the old marshall.

Sir, by any chance, are you retarded?
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by cohen5250
Sir, by any chance, are you retarded?

Jesus Christ that cracked me up for some reason.

Well Played Sir.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Vox valvetronix or Peavey vypyr. Depending on what you play. If you play more modern stuff, get the vypyr as it is a more modern-voiced amp. If you play more classic stuff, get the Vox, as it is a british voiced amp and nails the tones excellently.
Quote by Pr0gNut
He has a low budget,and I've never seen a decent tube Marshall for less than 1000,so that's a pointless suggestion.If you want a cheap tube amp you should look at brands like blackheart and crate or some of the lower wattage fender tube amps.You can also look on the used market for a good deal on something out of your price range if it were new.Also,the whole "twice as loud as a SS of the same wattage" thing is wrong.I've heard 40 watt tube amps that drown out 150 watt solid states,it really depends on what amp it is.

Thats true but you don't see a lot of tube amps for less than $1000 australian) anyway, crates are ok thoug, but personally I think you need a good overdrive pedal cause thier distorion is too nasal for my liking. Laney does a nice 15 att valve fbut maybe more expensive.

As for the tube vs solid state, that is the ruleof thumb that I have been told by a few experienced professional musos, so it is the one I use, probably depends on the amps involved though.
Last edited by HendrixClaptonP at Jan 26, 2009,
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-All-Tube-Half-Stack?sku=485059

hard to beat for its price. Its a single channel JCM800-ish (the best JCM800's were the single channel ones, and this amp was built as a clone of it) voiced tube amp. Sounds really great. You might want to change the speakers after a while though.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Jan 26, 2009,