Hi everyone,
I'm a newb to the forum and to guitar. Play the piano and have recently caught a burning desire to learn guitar as well. Done a lot of research and have narrowed it down and would love some more expert opinions if you don't mind...

Ok, budget. Depends on how loose I'm feeling when you ask me (bad, I know) but to be sensible, since it's my first guitar and money IS an object, I'm going to cap it at $1000 (yeah, high, but I'm going places (LOL) - I intend to anyway - so I do NOT want to buy a throw away...gotta sound respectable because realistically it'll be a year before I can upgrade). That said, I have considered a range (some well above that cap), and here's where I'm at:

Martin Custom D
Martin D-16R
Martin HD-28V (ok, too expensive, but if I really want to break the bank)
Guild GAD-50 (with Elixer strings...from what I've heard, makes HUGE difference)

Can you a) tell me which of these you'd get and/or b) let me know if there are others I should consider?

Much appreciated...
There are many brands out tehre other that Big names that you can benefit from
BlueRidge are my favorite acoustics and sounds damn good for their price, and it all depends on the players feel and what sound they are looking for and i know you dont want to start on a throw away but honestly its better to start on a cheaper guitar and learn, then you realize what kind of tone your getting and what tone you want, because believe me once you play for a year or two your idea of tone will change ALOT just browse and remember you dont have to make decisions abruptly or anything.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
i personally don't like the sound of martins all that much. a little to soft for my taste. takamines are good guitars to look at
Quote by LaGrange
There are many brands out tehre other that Big names that you can benefit from
BlueRidge are my favorite acoustics and sounds damn good for their price...

Thanks for your input - I've had less exposure to BlueRidges but I definitely hear what you're saying. What do you think of the BR-160?
Quote by selfrenaissance
Thanks for your input - I've had less exposure to BlueRidges but I definitely hear what you're saying. What do you think of the BR-160?

Haha thats funny you ask, thats probably one of my favorites. The minute i picked it up and strummed a chord it sounded great, the highs were nice and chimey but not overly bright and the bass was really tight and warm sounding. There are a few other models i played but i cant recall atm. Its a great guitar, i reccomend you try some out on your own though, we all have different tastes.

EDIT: I just realized i tried the br-163 and the br-160 but i liked the 163 better. Heres a link
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Last edited by LaGrange at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by LaGrange
EDIT: I just realized i tried the br-163 and the br-160 but i liked the 163 better. Heres a link

Nice! I'd looked a few Martin 000 styles but not BlueRidge. Just did some quick searches and listened to the br-163 on Youtube - sounds nice. Did you play the br-183? It's a bit more expensive, wondering if there's a noticeable sound difference...caught a clip on Youtube and it sounded really sweet.