i keep looking at the ibanez jems, iv never thought much of them before i joined UG but they tend to have a great rep here at UG, but the monkey grip is so ugly! whats the actual use for it? is there any other then it being a handle lol
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Nope, that's it, it's a handle. Not only that but a structurally weak handle.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
its a handle, plain and simple, BUT, the guitar is perfectly balanced at the handle so one finger there and it rests straight. ibanez JEM's are works of art, if u ever have the opportunity to get one, DO IT!
The JEM is the best Ibanez ever.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by JimmyVonSpyder
The Monkey Grip is so you can convert your guitar into brass knuckles. Plain and simple.

haha i lol'd and gotta sig
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyVonSpyder
The Monkey Grip is so you can convert your guitar into brass knuckles. Plain and simple.

best response yet
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
It's so, believe it or not, Vai can breathe on the pickups. No, I don't get it either. Yes, I agree he needs to be looked at. Yes, I also agree he sounds good.

Personally I'll put that chunk of wood back to get a different though(yes, even that small a bit of wood effects it).

Either way though, JEM's are great higher-gain guitars IMO, if you need something for shred, get one.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by JimmyVonSpyder

I think now im gunna by a JEM. Not so I can play it, but so I can get into a fight with a random stranger, and pull it out. I can only imagine the look on their face when they get JEM-Punched.
JimmyVonSpyder, Master of JEM Kune Do!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Watch Steve Vai's dance moves during his preformance of bad horsie live. That's why.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
As people have said, looks, no practical use when carrying really as you aren't exactly gonna be walkin' down the street one day, hand in JEM handle.
But as someone else said, watch Bad Horsie live at Astoria (only performance of this where I've seen him utilise the handle. . .also the only performance I've EVER seen someone play the guitar with a heafty boot), though it will effect the tone, that small bit that would be quite difficult to tell to untrained ears and it wouldn't matter,but it would effect the tone.

To whoever it was saying they'd fill it in to get the tone back, or something, that wouldn't work at all, it'd change the tone, but not like if the guitar was solid alder (or basswood, depending on which JEM), it may actually make it less resonant (presuming you'd glue it in) as glue is said to make the guitar lose less sustain/resonation, hence the reason people dislike 3 piece+ bodies.
Lol @ JEM fanbois.
And the JEM is really the best guitar Ibanez puts out? Does this mean that every guitar Ibanez puts out is mediocre?
Quote by Horlicks
Lol @ JEM fanbois.
And the JEM is really the best guitar Ibanez puts out? Does this mean that every guitar Ibanez puts out is mediocre?

No, it just means that you need to diversify.

Seriously, I used to hate all Ibanez's. Then I tried an Artcore series. I began liking their semihollows. Then I tried an ART100. I began liking their set-necked non-RG's. Then I tried a JEM. Now I like pretty much anything with a non-Wizard III neck. Seriously, just becuase their main export is RG's, doesn't mean all are as bad as those Edge-III waving pieces of hell, and I don't mean that in a good way for the RG's.

Quote by necrosis1193
No, it just means that you need to diversify.

Seriously, I used to hate all Ibanez's. Then I tried an Artcore series. I began liking their semihollows. Then I tried an ART100. I began liking their set-necked non-RG's. Then I tried a JEM. Now I like pretty much anything with a non-Wizard III neck. Seriously, just becuase their main export is RG's, doesn't mean all are as bad as those Edge-III waving pieces of hell, and I don't mean that in a good way for the RG's.

I was referring to this guy:
Quote by Kartman
The JEM is the best Ibanez ever.

Quote by Horlicks
I was referring to this guy:

Oh. Then yes, I agree with you. Apologies about that misunderstanding, it's 5 AM here, so my brain is kinda crappy right now...

The grab handle is probably to due with originality and image as much as anything. Anyone looking at the guitar has an opinion on it or asks questions, that is what Ibanez and Vai would want!
One day..

..Steve Vai held his guitar tight and his ultra finger strength bore a hole in his guitar.. thus the rise of the monkey grip in his JEM..

then Herman Li wanted to prove his strength like Steve..he held his guitar in the horn, unfortunately, his dragon force couldn't break the wood of his guitar, it only made his fingers mark on the wood..

haha..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by Horlicks
Lol @ JEM fanbois.

Naw, I'm not really a huge Ibanez guy, but out of all the Ibanez's out there, the JEM is definitely the coolest. I'm a Fender man myself.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID