Poll: If you had to choose, which amp would you take?
Poll Options
View poll results: If you had to choose, which amp would you take?
Fender Frontman
118 39%
Line 6 Spider III
129 42%
Marshall MG
57 19%
Voters: 304.
Page 1 of 3
My friend who plays both bass and guitar has a brother who plays drums. Naturally, people are constantly going to their house for band practices and jam sessions. He owns a fender FM 212, which he doesn't mind too much.

Another friend of ours left his Marshall MG at the bassist's house for quite some time, and a second friend of ours came to jam with our band with his Line 6 Spider III.

I commented on all the terrible amps sitting in his basement, and we soon got to arguing over which one we thought was the best/worst.

So - if you had to choose one of these terrible amps, which would it be?

I would take the Spider III, followed by the Frontman, with the MG being the least desirable.

Keep the discussion respectful, please. No flaming
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Frontman's clean is much better than the Spider's and MG's by far.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
I thought the Spider was alright, I mean it sounds digital and cna be bad at high volumes but overall it's the most usable of the three.

Frontman has a usable clean channel I think, atleast my 15G does, but the MG would probably fare better in a jam session.

Spider then MG then Frontman for me.

Edit: NOw that I think about it, probably SPider, Frontman then MG. So long as i'm not using the drive channel of the Frontman.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jan 26, 2009,
I would take the frontman before the other two.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i would take the spider first, then the MG, then the frontman.

the spider at least has some effects and different modeling options. the frontman's drive sounds someone screeching their nails on a chalkboard. the MG is alright i guess.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Frontman is first choice, then the MG, then the Spider.

I've actually found that I can make Frontman...s (Frontmen?) sound pretty decent. Get some pedals in front of it, I think it'd be just fine.

A buddy of mine has an MG, and with his GT-8 in front of it, it sounds alright. Not really desireable, but not too terrible.

I've actually got and extensively tested a Spider, and it can do some things alright, but not my things.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Jan 26, 2009,
I'd take the frontman for cleans and the MG for overdrive
I leik music
Frontman and MG, but if I have to take one, Frontman; MG's are just fizzy little(or likely big in this case) boxes that are really only good distorted, and even then it doesn't sound too good. They sound just about as bad distorted, but the Frontman has a barely-passable clean tone. The Spider is just fizzy and annoying.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Probably MG, Spider and then Frontman in that order. The MG is a decent pratice amp that is just a bit harsh. My band recorded our first song using a 15W MG and 200W Randall miced with an mp3 player. It was awesome and we actually got that song on a local podcast too. Good times.
Frontman for sure, my starting amp. None of the 3 has good distortion, but at least the Fender can do cleans.
Frontman, because it has good cleans and takes pedals fairly well.

Then the MG, because it has a slightly better tone than the Spider.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
heh...I would be the friend Reds is referring to.
I really don't mind my Frontman that much, the drive does suckand it's noisy, but the cleans sound fine. Most of what i use it for is clean anyways.

But yeah, I'd do Frontman, Spider, MG.
Frontman, at least it has a good clean channel, load it up with some pedals and it's decent.

Second would be the MG. The distortion on it is very weak sounding, but at least it's useable in some instances.

Last would be the Spider, anything you do with the distortion on that amp, it still sounds like a can of bees.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If we're just talking about having one of those amps and absolutely nothing helping them (pedals/mods/etc) I'd take spider first, then mg then fender

Spider first for the variety of sounds you can create
Mg next for it's crushing overdrive (aka moderately usable distortion)
Fender last because it's really only usable for a plain clean tone.
if i had to gig with it, i'd take the frontman, if it was just for practice, id take the spider.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
MG, Frontman, Spider.

I've got a frontman and it's just rubbish. Yes the cleans are alright but they're so weak it's unbelievable. The spiders are alright practice amps but when you turn them up they're horrific, despite how much i like a lot of other Line6 stuff. The MGs, especially the bigger ones with good speakers, can sound good IMO. But none of them are value for money.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Depends what model.

For the 15w ones, Spider
For the like, 100w ones, Frontman
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
the frontman has the best clean/crunch tones.
the line 6 has the best distortion
and the mg is in the midde for both
while the line 6 has the worst clean tone (its awful)
the frontman has the worst distortion (its disgusting)
and the mg is again in the middle
thats my preference anyways
If i were playing blues/jazz, or anything with clean or light crunch, i'd take the frontman.
If I were playing all metal, i'd take the line 6
If i were playing both metal and blues/jazz, then i'd take the mg10.
EDIT: i like the spider the best though
I thought the 15 watt FM was a decent little bedroom practice amp. Nice cleans at low volume. Had an MG, gaah. Played a few spiders, ikes. None of them over 30 watts are or any use due to there existing better amps for the money.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Spider. If I'm going to have crap, I may as well have versatility in crap.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The Spider is pretty good, it gets a bad rep.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Horlicks
I'd take the MG, then the Frontman, then the Spider.
Excellent choice
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Horlicks
I'd take the MG, then the Frontman, then the Spider.

Same
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Its a shame that kids allways buy the trifecta amps when starting out even though there are perfectly affordable Kustom amps.
Kustom 12 Gauge ftw.
there is no quote in this box
I'd get an acoustic guitar :stickpoke
My fender frontman has proved incredibly reliable and at low volumes it sounds alright... frontman!
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by imgooley
I'd get an acoustic guitar :stickpoke

I'd get a dumbro.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The frontman.. it has a nice usable clean. The gain doesn't sound terrible on it, theres just not enough control over the sound or amount. I think the FM series sounds better though personally.. (I thought they were one and the same, but apparently I was wrong..)

Behind that is the Spider. I've heard people get some actually good tones out of it, but it takes some playing with, and the realization that the gain never needs to be as high as most people think.. I was forced to play a gig with one once, and I got a pretty good tone out of it that fit with my band. No, it wasn't the best tone I've ever gotten, but it was usable.
i'd probably take the spider, but to be honest i'd want to try all 3 head to head to make sure which sounded... er least bad.

Quote by Archeo Avis
Spider. If I'm going to have crap, I may as well have versatility in crap.

yeah, that's my thinking, too. also, i only play at home, so the tone's turning to crap at higher volumes is less of a concern for me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 21, 2009,
I don't actually get why these amps in particular get such a bad rep, there are cheap Crates, Ibanez, Kustom, along with many other brands, that sound far worse. Any cheap solid state amp is going to sound like crap, it's not limited to just these.
i think it's just because they're so popular, and advertised like all get-out in the guitar mags. it's the inevitable backlash...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if i walked into a studio and someone said i had to record, and i could use only 1 of these amps, i'd take the MG first, spider second, frontman third.
i use my old mg50 as practice amp ALL the time. and record through the lineout for demo-ey stuff sometimes. its all about the line-out. i can get good(yes.good, thought not "nice") tone from it. and leave the tube simulator button off.it sucks IMO. its cleans are decent, the kill the god awful spider cleans..though, frontman has best cleans.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
I didn't mind the MG too much, it's a decent practice amp. There's just better and it's overpriced. The Frontman has pretty good cleans IMO, although the distortion is horrible. The Spider was just terrible in every way.

So, MG>Frontman>Spider
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
MG.

Even though I don't like MG's anymore, I can get a SOMEWHAT decent sound out of it, but still not great.

The Spider III sounded like ****, and so did the frontman.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Page 1 of 3