I took a computer science class my freshman year in college and all the information I got from that class left my body some how.... I dunno.... probably the booze.

How do I get the average for a specific class any way? Don't you add up the total number of possible points and the total number of points received and divide by something. That probably important and even more so I'm sure I look dumb for not knowing. Oh well....

Anyway... I'd like to be able to create an excel spread sheet that will allow me to keep up with my grades. By this I mean I'm looking for the formulas. I'd like it to give me my grade average for that class when I add in any score. If at all possible; and I'm sure it is, I would also like it to give me my GPA.

Any help would be appreciated.
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
assuming all of your grades carry the same weight then simply add up all the grades and divide by how many.
any whooo the pit is a bad place to ask for anything really.
You add the total amount of points received and divide by the number of grades.

EX:

Grade 1: 87
Grade 2: 90
Grade 3: 78
Grade 4: 85

87+90+78+85=340
340/4= 85

Average grade = 85
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
If you're in uni, then there is usually a website where you can view your transcript, and your grades update every time your professor adds the scores for a new assignment.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by shut_up_n00b
If you're in uni, then there is usually a website where you can view your transcript, and your grades update every time your professor adds the scores for a new assignment.

I was, but I decided I was going to become a rock star and I lost the little scholarship I had. Parents decided they werent going to pay for it and now I'm at a junior college trying to get full ride.
Quote by Seryaph
You add the total amount of points received and divide by the number of grades.

EX:

Grade 1: 87
Grade 2: 90
Grade 3: 78
Grade 4: 85

87+90+78+85=340
340/4= 85

Average grade = 85

So what formula can I use to add up the total number of points and divide by how ever many "grades" I have?
I could use a calculator, but I just really want this spread sheet for some reason. Just want to be able to plug in a grade and then get the results. No math on my part.
yea it mostly depends on how the prof. grades the class: some just use straight points, others use quizzes/tests as X% and homework as Y%.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Quote by NotOneWithNames
I took a computer science class my freshman year in college and all the information I got from that class left my body some how.... I dunno.... probably the booze.

That's basically what happened with me and grade 11 math, except I didn't need booze. It just went in one ear and some of it stayed long enough to get a half-decent test mark, then all of it went out the other ear.
Quote by shadowsoldier08
yea it mostly depends on how the prof. grades the class: some just use straight points, others use quizzes/tests as X% and homework as Y%.

I know how the professor will grade. All I'm looking for is a formula that can give me my average for that class. Just somthing that adds up the points and give me the average. All the grades will be based on 4 tests out of 100 points each and if I have to take the exam thats 5, but the exam knocks off the lowest grade. So the total is going to be 400 possible points.
yea just put t hem in a colum or something, lets sya cells c1, c2, c3, c4 just put in a formula that says somethin like =((C1+C2+C3+C4)/4) but it wil only work once all four grades are in, if one is blank then it will show like a 1%

or you could just be a good boy, get 100% on all the exams and you wont have to worry about it :P
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Last edited by shadowsoldier08 at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by shadowsoldier08
yea just put t hem in a colum or something, lets sya cells c1, c2, c3, c4 just put in a formula that says somethin like =((C1+C2+C3+C4)/4) but it wil only work once all four grades are in, if one is blank then it will show like a 1%

Is there not something I can type in that just shows the average for the points in it. Lets say I add to a colum one day after school. Will it not just acknowledge that I did so and recalculate the average?
omg...

It's an average. If you have 1 grade completed, that's your average. If you have 2, you divide by 2. If you have 3, you divide by 3. ONLY if they have equal weights.

This can't possibly be this hard.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by NotOneWithNames
Is there not something I can type in that just shows the average for the points in it. Lets say I add to a colum one day after school. Will it not just acknowledge that I did so and recalculate the average?

I think that you are thinking about this too much.

Once the numbers are all in their column you can click and drag and select all of the numbers and set excel to add all of the numbers in the column. Once you do that you can divide the number you get by the number of rows in your column.

To add a new grade you would just have to delete the old average, replace it with the new grade and repeat the process.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.