So, I have a MIM Strat with a hot rail I've been using for a few years, and was looking for an upgrade possibly. My main candidates were between a Telecaster Deluxe and hoping for a great deal on a used Les Paul Studio (would be down with one with dot inlays, and a plain top). Untill, I came across this in brown: http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=ART300 One seller has this on ebay for 400 including a hard case, though I'd deff. try a store demo before buying on ebay. I've read for the price its a very good deal, but I'm just not sure about a few things: would this even be an upgrade from a Strat, considering it costs about the same? And I play a lot of stuff similar to isis/neurosis (sludgy/doomy metal). But how good would active pick ups be with clean tones? Anybody else with info on this guitar would be helpful.
Last edited by caesar_salad at Jan 26, 2009,
Well it's almost in the same class as your Strat, so I can atleast tell you you wouldn't be losing anything on the deal, just comes down to playing one and seeing if its worth the upgrade to you. Personnely I love the ART series...great playing, great looking guitars. They're fairly light guitars and while the pickups are still stock, they really don't sound too bad. Cleans might be a little thin, but for metal it'd do great. Cheers
i heard that active pickups tend to have a cleaner and more crisp and defined clean tone compared to passive ones.. that's why acoustic guitars usually have active pickups, to get that very close acoustic tine.. anyway, i haven't tried that particular model but i like them.. the only stuff that hindered me from buying them was the active pickup.. hehe.. although they're great, i don't want batteries to bother me.. it's just my taste..

i don't know if you can call that an upgrade, but probably an alternative tone.. domething different from a strat.. even if your strat is only a fender MIM, it's still fender.. it's still a nice guitar.. so maybe what you'll get from the ibanez is an added tonal versatility.. just my opinion.. try one out..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
well the ibanez woln't be that big of a upgrade put put some new pups in it and that will dramatically upgrade it.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
But would you say this is a good option? or would it be better pay another 150-200 for a used Tele Deluxe?
SO. The Guitar Center by me has one for $290. It is the floor model, but I think I can probably get them down a little or throw in a free case. I'm very very considering this, has anybody haggled with GC before?