dude, what will they come out with next...

anyway i have a question: do you reccomend anyone to get one or not? i currently use a Schecter Omen 7 String (piece of ****, dont get one) but i was thinking of getting rid of it and buying an Ibanez S 7 string, but today i was searching around musiciansfriend and found this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-SC308B-Baritone-Stephen-Carpenter-Electric-Guitar?sku=518617

i think that is just the craziest thing. I have heard of 8 strings before, and even saw After the Burial, a band who uses 8 strings, play live, but I still can't quite capture the essence of it...if you know what i mean.

anyway back to the question. the other thing i dont get is how does a band play along with bass to an 8 string guitar? i know they have 5 string basses for 7 strings, and they make 6 string basses too, i have one, but it has a higher string, not a lower one. i have tuned down my bass too, and once you get to a you cant even make out the notes because the string is so floppy.

so give me your input, tell me anything else you know about 8 strings (dont tell me, i know meshuggah uses them too)

last question: which guitar would you reccomend more?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-SC308B-Baritone-Stephen-Carpenter-Electric-Guitar?sku=518617
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--IBARG2228

thanks for the input, i appreciate it
one thing i will say is that they have been out awhile. and ibanez has some or one out. honestly the best i have seen are from random ol' luthiers on myspace or what not,
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
i cant capture the essence of it because the low string is practically un audible
All I know is that ATB rocks..Maybe you could hunt down some information on what kind of bass their guy uses.
8 strings? thats crazy. next thing you know they'll be making guitars with 12 strings

in all seriousness tho go for it if you can play it. 6 strings is hard enough for me
First of all, there was this thread about 8-strings a couple of weeks ago:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1049532

As you can see, there are lots of 8-string guitar makers out there.

Secondly, besides metal, you'll see them in other forms of music as well. The jazz wizard Charlie Hunter plays 8 strings primarily, with the top 5 strings tuned like a standard guitar and the bottom 3 tuned like a standard bass.

anyway back to the question. the other thing i dont get is how does a band play along with bass to an 8 string guitar? i know they have 5 string basses for 7 strings, and they make 6 string basses too, i have one, but it has a higher string, not a lower one. i have tuned down my bass too, and once you get to a you cant even make out the notes because the string is so floppy.

There are also 8, 10, 11, 12 and other large basses. Some are played primarily by solo artists, but they show up in surprising places. The bass player for Cheap Trick has used a 10-string on occasion, and extra-sized basses frequently pop up in a lot of progressive bands.

The trick to playing in a band with an 8-string- or really, even an alternative tuning that goes down into the deep end (my preferred alt-tuning is Fripp's NST: C-G-D-A-E-G)- is just simply finding a space in which to play. Take a cue from the symphony: the strings in a standard symphony consist of violins (G-D-A-E), violas (C-G-D-A, overlapping the violin), cellos (C-G-D-A, an octave lower than the viola) and bass (E-A-D-G). Despite the overlap, each instrument has its own role.

The very similar viol family and violin octet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violin_octet) family does likewise.

If you check out King Crimson, you'll find that in several of their lineups, they use guitars tuned like the band's leader, Robert Fripp (see above), combined with bass players who use things like oversized basses or Chapman Sticks. Yet each instrument still has a distinct role to play.

I guess it just boils down to practice and songwriting.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 26, 2009,
i just think it is an awesome concept. i wouldnt always use the 8th string, i just think it would help with arpeggios, scales, and maybe if i want to play a song in a instead of b...and i would never ever need to tune down again. like, now i tune down my 7s a full step, but if i got that, aside from a few tab changes, i would never have to tune down again...i would probably hardly ever use the low f anyway.
look up Meshuggah, there most recent albums use 8 string guitars.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Approaching the 8th string is very weird at first, you cant use standard power chord shapes below like Ab or so, the clarity just isn't there. Using it for walking bass lines is always a good bet, as is using it for complex picking riffs, nevermore esque.

I use the 8 in three seperate bands, a funk band where im down to EAEADGBE to help play some tight unison lines with the bass. A jazz trio where it helps in making huge sounding chords, and a prog rock band, makes a change me providing some of the bass riffs while the bassist solo's or something.

As for a bassist, we used to detune our bassist's 6 string down to F#BEADG, it took a while to find the heavy strings that we needed, it got kind of expensive so we all ended up chipping in. Or do it like meshuggah and play in unison, with the bass tuned up a semitone to F.

Both the bass and the 8 string can be audible at those frequencies if you know how to EQ your sound effectively.
Quote by twistudriffer
next thing you know they'll be making guitars with 12 strings

on topic: The Ibanez, heard a lot good about him while nothing about the ESP.
Don't get ideas by that 'holy' in my name.
I'm an atheist.
And I'm NOT a banana.