well, i know i saw a similar thread somewhere but there was no concrete answer.. anyway, i have a PRS SE Standard and the neck seems to have so many 'pores' where i think dirt builds up.. is this fingerboard dry?.. when i changed the strings last 2 weeks, i cleaned the board and applied lemon oil.. sadly it became like this again.. as you can see on pictures 1, 2, 3.. my brother has an Ibanez RG321 and the fingerboard of his guitar looks much better, picture 4.. both are 2007 models.. so, what might the problem be on my fingerboard?.. can i make it look like the RG's?.. is there a solution to this? thanks..
sorry for the huge pics..

Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
kinda cruddy photos maybe you should take more with a proper camera
but you should clean your guitar neck if theres dirt
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Does it really matter if it's dry?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
Does it really matter if it's dry?

With a rosewood fingerboard? yes! Wood will shrink when dry and will cause his fret ends to stick out.

When was the last time you put some lemon oil on that deltacross? At least once a year isn't a bad idea, maybe more if its needed. You'll know how much you need from the way it soaks it in.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I can't tell really from the pic quality but chances are it just needs another application of lemon oil. It's not irregular for a fingerboard to need a few applications to get it back to good condition for a lengthy period of time. Just treat it again the next time you change your strings.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I've had that on one of my guitars for a while too, i'm not exactly new to guitars but i just assumed it was to do with the wood, so i never thought twice about it.

I clean mine with lemon oil and stuff at least once every two months.
I use pledge to clean my fretboards...what do ya guys tink of that....i mean, in the long run, will it have any affect on the fretboard..?
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
the camera's fine.. maybe the lighting's just a bit off.. sorry bout the pics but at least you can see what i'm talking about.. the many lines it has..
hmm.. it's kinda hard to clean it since there are too many 'pores'.. it would really be burdensome then it would end up like that again after some time.. is there a way to seal those 'pores'?..

i heard that it's enough to put lemon oil once or twice a year.. well, my point is, i just applied lemon oil just about last month and now it's like this.. it's the first time i've encountered this..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Use use macro on your camera for closeup focus...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
Use use macro on your camera for closeup focus...

it's just a phone's camera that has a 3.2MP resolution.. i don't have a digi cam here.. and i just took this in a hurry to post on UG..

anyway, back to my topic.. suggestions?..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by kennethdave
I use pledge to clean my fretboards...what do ya guys tink of that....i mean, in the long run, will it have any affect on the fretboard..?

Dunno - but I reckon it will take a lot of the oil out, so I'd guess you'd need to 'feed' it more often than normal
The PRS SE I had had a fretboard that looked just like yours. The white you see is grain filler put in the fretboard to compensate for less than ideal wood. It isn't necessarily dry, that's just how it looks. That's why it's a cheaper PRS - costs were cut.
Last edited by Grown at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by Grown
The PRS SE I had had a fretboard that looked just like yours. The white you see is grain filler put in the fretboard to compensate for less than ideal wood. It isn't necessarily dry, that's just how it looks. That's why it's a cheaper PRS - costs were cut.

ok.. so i mailed PRS.. they said it was buffing compound to make the guitar shiny.. he said i can remove it with lemon oil and a soft tooth brush.. this are my questions now..

1. if i happen so remove them successfully, would that guarantee that i won'e see those white marks again?
2. how do i clean it, put lemon oil then brush it?.. or brush it while it's dry then apply lemon oil after?..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
1) In time you'll get white spots from the fingerboard drying out from climate, lack or excess of play and other factors. As long as you treat your board regularly you'll be fine.

2) When I clean my boards I use lemon oil, steel wool (if needed) and a cloth. Just apply the lemon oil to the board and brush the board cleaning the fingerboard and frets.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol
1) In time you'll get white spots from the fingerboard drying out from climate, lack or excess of play and other factors. As long as you treat your board regularly you'll be fine.

2) When I clean my boards I use lemon oil, steel wool (if needed) and a cloth. Just apply the lemon oil to the board and brush the board cleaning the fingerboard and frets.

so in #2, it's lemon oil first before brushing/cleaning?.. coz in other demos, i saw them clean the fretboard first before applying the lemon oil.. the guy in PRS hasn't replied yet, he didn't specify what exactly i would do so i'm still asking you guys..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
You can go over the board with the toothbrush to clear off any loose crud on the board then apply the lemon oil and use the brush again.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by Grown

Costs may have been cut but I've seen plenty of PRS SE's that look just fine. In fact the neck on the one that sits next to my MIA strat looks just as good. You make it sound as though all PRS's will look like that.

To the TS I'd say its better to ask PRS themselves if you have any questions. I've never needed to deal with them but it sounds as though you got a pretty quick response.
If your fretboard is dirty I'd say just wipe it down first so that the oil can soak in properly, and as you're applying the oil, just brush the board with a soft tooth brush or fine steel wool.
Quote by Free
Costs may have been cut but I've seen plenty of PRS SE's that look just fine. In fact the neck on the one that sits next to my MIA strat looks just as good. You make it sound as though all PRS's will look like that.

To the TS I'd say its better to ask PRS themselves if you have any questions. I've never needed to deal with them but it sounds as though you got a pretty quick response.

i've seen other PRS SEs and i found the same with their necks.. anyway, if yours is not, maybe it's just hit and miss..
PRS customer service reply fast when it's night in our country..i live in the philippines by the way so when it's night here, it's morning in them.. hehe.. but they don't answer my questions completely so i have to frequently ask them questions..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by kennethdave

Never ever put pledge or any commercial cleaning product near your guitar. If any of this goes near your paint it will discolour your guitar after a while.
Quote by deltacross
i've seen other PRS SEs and i found the same with their necks.. anyway, if yours is not, maybe it's just hit and miss..
PRS customer service reply fast when it's night in our country..i live in the philippines by the way so when it's night here, it's morning in them.. hehe.. but they don't answer my questions completely so i have to frequently ask them questions..

Thats quite interesting actually. I presume the Philipines is a much warmer (drier) climate than where I am (UK)? If thats the case then maybe thats part of the problem, especially if you've seen other SE's with similar problems.

I'm no expert on humidity and climate but maybe some sort of dehumidifier might help? As I say I dunno about these things but hopefully someone with a knowledge of them can help in that repesct.

With regard to PRS customer service, maybe it'd be better to telephone them and then there'd be no confusion?
Wow, the exact same thing is happening to my guitar (Ibanez Grx20). I hadn't used it in a long time, so the fretboard looked dusty and dirty, so I used some Kyser Lem-Oil Fretboard Conditioner. I left it, woke up the next morning and there were all of these white lines on the fretboard, and it looekd even worse. I used it again 3 weeks later and it looks the same. I figure its because of the cheap ass material they used.
Pledge wont hurt your paint, but it will dry the F out of your finger board. It contains water, which will dry over time unlike Lemon oil, which is mostly mineral oil and will keep the wood moist.
My local friendly guitar repair man back in Singapore told me it's not the best idea to use lemon oil because it is acidic , it eats up the frets. He suggested just plain mineral oil which you can get at Ikea according to him. To apply it , he put a few drops on a cloth and wipe it on the fretboard. Guitars have been part of his life for over 30 years so I trust him.
Quote by Johntubb
My local friendly guitar repair man back in Singapore told me it's not the best idea to use lemon oil because it is acidic , it eats up the frets. He suggested just plain mineral oil which you can get at Ikea according to him. To apply it , he put a few drops on a cloth and wipe it on the fretboard. Guitars have been part of his life for over 30 years so I trust him.

then how come great names and brands all make they're fretboard conditioner with lemon oil?.. just curious..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by Free
Thats quite interesting actually. I presume the Philipines is a much warmer (drier) climate than where I am (UK)? If thats the case then maybe thats part of the problem, especially if you've seen other SE's with similar problems.

I'm no expert on humidity and climate but maybe some sort of dehumidifier might help? As I say I dunno about these things but hopefully someone with a knowledge of them can help in that repesct.

With regard to PRS customer service, maybe it'd be better to telephone them and then there'd be no confusion?

i dunno, although it is indeed a dry or relatively tropic place, i don't think it has much of a bearing on the fretboard.. like i said in my thread, my brother also has an ibanez RG321.. both of us never tried applying lemon oil until we tried and bought one.. but then, even before, his guitar's fingerboard looked all good.. no white marks of some sort, just a plain nice rosewood.. apparently, mine wasn't.. so that's my story..

it's costly to call PRS cust serv that's why i only mail them.. they haven't yet replied though..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
yes!!! at long last.. PRS Customer Service has replied.. here's what he said..

"Yes, if you remove all of the buffing compound, it will not return.

Simply apply the lemon oil to the tooth brush and gently scrub the board.

Take care"

so i guess that's it.. for all those who has this problems about their PRS necks, search my thread.. they said it, although i am yet to try it.. hopefully it won't come back.. if it does, then shame on PRS's part for giving misinformation..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R