Hey all,

I'm currently in a 5 piece (screamer, 2 guitar, bass and drums) screamo/metalcore band and i'm really not happy with it. i really don't like the music we play, but my band knows this and also know that i am very close to leaving, once i sort out my next project, a 3 piece (guitar/vocals, bass and drums) indie band.

i play guitar and sing quite well, think andrew stockdale (wolfmother)/ matt bellamy (muse) or someone in that mold, playing relatively complex guitar parts and singing at the same time, and i have a decent enough bassist, and we both fit together well enough, but the probloem is finding a drummer.

we've been looking for over 2 months now and there are literally no drummers around where we live, its crazy. But the other day, one of our mutual frineds offered to learn drums for us, straight from scratch. apparantly he plays guitar, but he's nothing special. is this a good idea, seeing as he is 16, and it may take him longer to learn a completely new instrument?

he also doesnt have space for a full drum kit at his house, so im offering to lend him my electric kit to learn basic beats on, then transfer them to an actual drum kit at full band practices at the bassists house.

tell me your thoughts, good idea/disaster waiting to happen?
also, if there are any drummers, how long did it take you to learn drums from scratch?

many thanks

Stud
As much as the world could do without another ****ing screamo band, it's equally full of stupid indie bands.

So this decision is solely yours.

I hate both styles of music with a vengeance, but i won't flame you, that's not what i'm about.

All I can say is, do what you're comfortable with, if you're in a band that you really do'nt want to be, it's gonna show.

It's not worth it most of the time.

Do what makes you happy.

I'm assuming that because this mutual friend you mention is 16, the rest of you aren't far from that mark?

if that's the case, you're young, enjoy it.

There's nothing worse than being stuck in a band you don't want to be in, i've been there before.

It might take years of work to get your new band tight and awesome, especially if you're training a new drummer (and play indie... j/k ;P) but it'll pay off if it's the kinda thing you want.
Sure, have him start learning now. As long as you dont play muse and such, keep your music simple drum wise and im sure he will be fine. If you find a better drummer while he is still learning then you can use them.
Go ahead and do. I quit my band for the same reasons and even though i do miss playing shows and stuff i'm glad i left. About your friend... sure, sounds good. Only problem will be if u find a better drummer, but in that case i assume ur friend wouldn't mind stepping down and switching to guitar would he?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Necro-cide
I'm assuming that because this mutual friend you mention is 16, the rest of you aren't far from that mark?

yeah, we're all 16, and as for you not flaming my choice of music, thansk a lot, i get enough stick about my taste in music from my bandmates (who are really good mates of mine, just can't stand their music)

Quote by Feel bad inc.
Sure, have him start learning now. As long as you dont play muse and such, keep your music simple drum wise and im sure he will be fine. If you find a better drummer while he is still learning then you can use them.

yeah, thats the plan really. was thinking of using a drum machine, but its look stupid on stage.
to be honest, if you're 16 then it's likely that uni will happen for you and your friends in a couple of years time. by that time, this guy may be a passable drummer, but its likely you won't see any of these people again, so it's not worth holding out for this guy to learn drums because you'll have no time do do anything. you're better off finding someone that can drum/isn't that great but can improve in a relatively short timescale.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Yeah, you might as well go for it if you really cannot find a drummer.
As a musician already, you're friend will more than likely have a decent sense of timing and with a band to jam with he should be able to play pretty decent basic beats in almost no time.
From then on it's simply a case of developing him.

The biggest advantage I can see is that this guy is so willing, to actualy go out of his way and learn a new instrument so that you guys can have a drummer, that takes dedication, which in a band is half the battle.