Recently, i changed the bridge pickup on my cheap SX strat copy to from a single coil to a humbucker. It works fine at position 5 (the bridge pickup alone). But when i switch it to position 4, theres a decrease in volume.

When i switch it to position 3, the volume goes back to normal. i tried adjusting the pickup height, but the same thing happens.

i re-soldered the wirings in my guitar. same thing.

so, is my pickup selector spoilt?
Quote by zhilla
Are you sure you wired it up correctly?

yep, i desoldered the single coil, then placed the humbucker's wires exactly where the the single coil's wires were.
i could be very wrong:

but technically position four is a combination of bridge and middle pickups

theres now 3 coils there
maybe that has something to do with it..?
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Quote by atla18
i could be very wrong:

but technically position four is a combination of bridge and middle pickups

theres now 3 coils there
maybe that has something to do with it..?

wow, i never thought of that.. is the wiring for a humbucker equipped guitar and single coil guitar at the bridge different?
what brand humbucker? is it 2 or 4 wire?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
what brand humbucker? is it 2 or 4 wire?

its some 20 dollar humbucker called proline or something like that. it has 2 wires only..

help!
what are the two colors?

if they are black and white, then

white is usually the hot going to the switch and black to the ground at the back of the pot.

there should be a slip of paper came with the pup, tells you which is hot.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

yes its black and white

Quote by jj1565

white is usually the hot going to the switch and black to the ground at the back of the pot.

and yeah thats how i soldered them
looking over the first post, i thought maybe your pup heights are off.

after rereading, maybe those two pups are out of phase with each other.
let me explain, no time, let me some up....

Reversing the coil connections reverses the polarity, and may be necessary on one pickup to allow the standard "in-phase" connections. Your ears are a good guide - if you expect an in-phase sound you should hear a full, slightly nasal sound. If you get a hollow, middley sound with a volume drop, you probably have pickups with opposite polarity, and need to reverse the connections on one pickup to restore normality.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/pickcomb.htm

sometimes there's a magnet flip needed, sometimes you can switch two wires.

you can ask a guy in the custom section. there's an ultimate wiring guide.

post in there. probably tell you the answer by lunchtime.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019006
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 26, 2009,
Reversing the coil connections reverses the polarity, and may be necessary on one pickup to allow the standard "in-phase" connections. Your ears are a good guide - if you expect an in-phase sound you should hear a full, slightly nasal sound. If you get a hollow, middley sound with a volume drop, you probably have pickups with opposite polarity, and need to reverse the connections on one pickup to restore normality.

THANKS ALOT! "hollow, middley sound with a volume drop" is what im hearing at position 4. let me try reversing the connection first.

edit: sorry but how do i reverse the connections? just place the black wire where the white wire was and vice versa?

edit 2: IT WORKS! thanks for the information jj1565.
Last edited by spug2guitarist at Jan 27, 2009,