Hi everybody. I recently bought a Raedon 4850 Hd graphics card, and then found out about the power supply. As I'm somewhat of a n00b about this, if anybody could explain what you need this for and a good one for the money I would be greatly appreciative. I'm currently just running my computer into the wall if that helps.
Quote by :Vicious--
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
"Don't touch my buttsecks"
You simply need a power supply unit in your computer that can take a lot of wattage. Would recommend 550 watts or more.
Lol if you bought a gfx card i would have thought you knew a bit more about computers than to state that you have it running into a wall. Sorry but im dying with laughter over that, i found it very funyn for some reason.

Thos cards run at quite high temps if your cooling is not adequate but can cope with it, i like a cool system so i suggest checking the temps of it out if your concerned about that. A decent psu will set you back about 30quid i would expect, buy from a good dealer like OCZ or CoolerMaster. However, it also depends what else is in your system. Look for cooler master 600w psu's and im sure you would be fine even if your running 4 gig ram, 2 optical drives and a quad core.
Quote by Chinfrim
Sadly we have not shotguns and go around saying "Get Out of Mah Propertay!!"
Is there any way to tell the current wattage of your power supply?
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
I've got a 4870, and I'm using a Hiper something 520 watt PSU. Has worked wonders so far.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by scottp_15
Lol if you bought a gfx card i would have thought you knew a bit more about computers than to state that you have it running into a wall. Sorry but im dying with laughter over that, i found it very funyn for some reason.

Thos cards run at quite high temps if your cooling is not adequate but can cope with it, i like a cool system so i suggest checking the temps of it out if your concerned about that. A decent psu will set you back about 30quid i would expect, buy from a good dealer like OCZ or CoolerMaster. However, it also depends what else is in your system. Look for cooler master 600w psu's and im sure you would be fine even if your running 4 gig ram, 2 optical drives and a quad core.

I actually bought a cooler with it and the wall thing is why I stated I'm a n00b about the hardware end of computers.

Quote by -Vogel-
Get one between 500-600. Any more than that and it is pointless and can have the opposite effect for your average machine!
Quote by Jackolas
Get one between 500-600. Any more than that and it is pointless and can have the opposite effect for your average machine!

Yeah, some guys go a bit overboard with their PSU's. Some have like 700W or 800W for these cards. It's not a bad idea however if you will upgrade in the future. It could save you switching out the PSU for a new one
do this. turns off your computer, pull it out of wherever it is. Look at the back (the psu is the first thing on top, it has a fan). It should say right there the rating of the psu. Also, make sure that the psu you buy has the required pins to connect your video card.
I am running mine on an Antec Earthwatts 380. You need more than that unless you use a high quality PSU.
Don't buy a cheap high wattage PSU, get one thats slightly less wattage but from a decent brand.

Wattage isn't everything, a power supply needs to provide a steady voltage on the 12V rail, something which cheaper ones can be bad at.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
400w+

The more the merrier really, and nice choice, I have that card too!

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by Axeman99
Don't buy a cheap high wattage PSU, get one thats slightly less wattage but from a decent brand.

Wattage isn't everything, a power supply needs to provide a steady voltage on the 12V rail, something which cheaper ones can be bad at.

This man is the first one in the thread that knows his sh*t. A good voltage on the 12V rail is what really matters, not the number of watts.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Thanks for your help, I think I found one that will work.

Quote by -Vogel-
Last edited by guitar999111 at Jan 26, 2009,