Anyone have any good advice on an what amp will give me a nice punchy, thick clean sound?
At the moment I play a '57 reissue Strat through a solid state Fender Ultimate Chorus, and the sound I get is just way too thin, metalic and trebly for my tastes.
I play mainly country and blues, and want a sound range suitable for Vince Gill style country and SRV style blues.
I've always thought a Fender tube amp of some description would be the answer, but here's the problem - I tried out two amps at jam session last night, a Fender Twin and a Mesa Boogie combo (not sure which one, it was a single 12"). The Fender sounded like a better version of my exiting amp - much nicer tone, but still way too trebly and thin. The Mesa, on the other hand, was stunning - really warm, golden and responsive clean sounds, and a lovely break up on the lead channel.
The problem is, short of selling a kidney, there is no way I'm getting a Mesa anytime soon - but does anyone have a suggestion for an amp that gives that more Mesa-like clean tone (ie a bit fatter and fuller), but without the price tag. I don't expect to get as good a tone, but just want something affordable that has similar sound.
Great Clean amps. Try the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The HRD has a very round clean sound even at high volumes. So does the Roland JC120. Carvin x series amp also are renown for their clean (not to be confused with Carvin's sx series those suck). You can get old Traynor heads at great prices. Even new Traynors combos are awesome.
AL
What kind of fender twin was it? If it was a 212 Frontman, then yes it sounds pretty bad. A regular twin reverb reissue should be great for what you play, and you can also look into the Hot Rod Deluxe.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Few options.

I suggest you check out all of these, if you can.

Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker
Mesa/Boogie Blue Angel
Fender 6G6 Bassman
Fender 5F6 Bassman
Fender 5E3 Deluxe
Fender 5E4 Super
Fender Super Reverb
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fender Super Sonic
Fender Prosonic
Ampeg Reverberocket Reissue
Ampeg R50H
Ampeg Gemini II
Ampeg Gemini VI
Ampeg J12 Jet
Ampeg J20 Jet
Ampeg Superjet
Ampeg Superverb
Ampeg VT-22
Ampeg VT-60
Ampeg V4
Epiphone Blues Custom
Epiphone Valve Senior (if they ever come out)
Epiphone Valve Standard
Gibson G20RVT

For starters. I can name a few otheres that would get a great sound for blues and country, too.

Also: Do you want a sparkly clean sound or do you want a bit fatter, edge of break up sound?
That's quite a list! I'll have a look at these - and the HRD suggested above.

Quote by imgooley
Few options.

Also: Do you want a sparkly clean sound or do you want a bit fatter, edge of break up sound?

I want fatter sound, but one that keeps the percussive punch you need for country and that keeps my Strat sounding like a Strat. I play with fingers only (not pick) so I need a little extra help from the amp to really cut through on lead breaks - a good response and plenty of punch.
Quote by Adam Loeke
You can get old Traynor heads at great prices. Even new Traynors combos are awesome.

Thanks - I've heard good things from other people about Traynors too, will look into them.
Quote by jakehadlee
That's quite a list! I'll have a look at these - and the HRD suggested above.

I want fatter sound, but one that keeps the percussive punch you need for country and that keeps my Strat sounding like a Strat. I play with fingers only (not pick) so I need a little extra help from the amp to really cut through on lead breaks - a good response and plenty of punch.

Yeah, I play mainly with my fingers for blues, though my style is more Muddy Waters/Hubert Sumlin/Hound Dog Taylor/John Lee Hooker than Stevie Ray.

IMO, either an Ampeg Reverb Rocket or a Tweed 5F6 Bassman would be the best options, along with most of the other Ampegs that I suggested.

Ampegs have a certain punchy character to them that I personally love.

There's really a lot you can do to get that fat sound, especially out of a Strat.

Probably the cheapest NEW option would be an Epiphone Blues Custom, and the most expensive out of the stuff I mentioned is the Mesa Heartbreaker. Pretty much all of the amps I suggested can give you a fat sound with a nice punch.

EDIT: There's also a bunch of boutique amps that can get what you want, as well as many independent amp makers that can make clones, or custom amps for reasonable-to really expensive prices. Bad Cat, 65 Amps, Matchless, Torres Engineering, and also Weber Kits for some cheaper stuff. Lots of options.
Last edited by imgooley at Jan 26, 2009,
You CAN always get the hot rod, but if you're looking for a clean sound that doesn't break up easily, the Twin Reverb wins. You can look on ebay and get one for the price of a Hot Rod if you get lucky. The version today is usually 85 watts and stays very clean. You might be able to get an older one which is 100 or 135 watts. However, nonetheless, if it helps influence yoru decision, Stevie Ray Vaughan used one.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A TWIN AND A TWIN REVERB IN ABOUT $1000!!! I've seen them go on ebay from $550-1000
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
You CAN always get the hot rod, but if you're looking for a clean sound that doesn't break up easily, the Twin Reverb wins. You can look on ebay and get one for the price of a Hot Rod if you get lucky. The version today is usually 85 watts and stays very clean. You might be able to get an older one which is 100 or 135 watts. However, nonetheless, if it helps influence yoru decision, Stevie Ray Vaughan used one.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A TWIN AND A TWIN REVERB IN ABOUT $1000!!! I've seen them go on ebay from $550-1000

Stevie used a Vibroverb and a Vibroking iirc.
Quote by imgooley
Stevie used a Vibroverb and a Vibroking iirc.

Also used a Twin Reverb and a Marshall Major Stack.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
Also used a Twin Reverb and a Marshall Major Stack.

Never seen him with a twin, ever.

I've seen him with the Marshall, the Dumble, and a few others, but never with a twin.

Except for on a couple of ones where he was playing with Dick Dale and BB King.

But most of the time, it's Vibroverb.
Marshall Major will clean up the house for sure.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard