So i got a valveking 100W 212 yesterday, was just messin around, but it out in the hallway and turned it up to around 5-6 on the master volume. Was playing fine, recording a bit... then the amp started squealing (not guitar squeal), so i was like "OH ****!", turned the guitar volume completely down, then it looked like there were a load of sparks coming from the tube area, i was a bit worried about going near the ****ing thing, didn't want to be deafened by a massive screaming noise, so i waited a minute, nothing happened, so i went and turned it off... just before i did that, another tube started squealing, then it lit up blue, and 'frazzled out'.. same happened to the next one.

WTF happened? Did i blow the tubes or something? :S What could cause that? They're only a couple of months old, and i slowly increased the volume starting at like 0.5, and i used the standby properly when turning it on...

Not gonna turn it back on yet, i have no idea whats up.

HELP, what happened!
I'd guess it was a fuse problem to make multiple tubes blow out.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
You need to take that to the amp doctor. If your tubes went up one at a time like that there could be extensive damage to your board. I wouldn't turn it on either.
AL
Take it to where you bought it or someplace where you can have it repaired or looked at.
I'm not a real gear person, but if it's anything like other speakers you really have to let them in slowly if they're new. You should only ever play a new speaker on low and build up the volume over a couple of days to get the parts working properly before you push them.
I got it off ebay, guy had bought it new a couple months ago.. and he's gigged it 3 or 4 times, so i think everything was "worked in" properly.... im fumbled, it had plenty of time to warm up etc, then it just died and a couple of tubes lit up. :/
Hmm. What was his reason for selling it? He mighta sold you a lemon, knowing there was a fault with it.
His band split up, and he's going to Uni... Doubt he screwed me, nice guy, and all good feedback on ebay.

Any idea what i could check to try and find out waht the problem is?

I turned it back on... the power light doesnt come back on, so i checked the mains fuse.. thats still intact, what else?
I'm not sure why you turned it back on. It's fried enough as it is. You had a serious plate voltage problem that caused all the power tubes to blow. A fuse would not have caused that. I'm surprised your main fuse is intact. You need to find a reputable amplifier repair shop in your city. Not guitar center. Google: 'city name and amplifier repair'

My guess is one of the power tubes was not seated all the way in.
Wrong power tube to begin with.
Speaker cable not connected properly.
The speaker breaking in comment made no sense.

You need professional help for your amp.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm not sure why you turned it back on. It's fried enough as it is. You had a serious plate voltage problem that caused all the power tubes to blow. A fuse would not have caused that. I'm surprised your main fuse is intact. You need to find a reputable amplifier repair shop in your city. Not guitar center. Google: 'city name and amplifier repair'

My guess is one of the power tubes was not seated all the way in.
Wrong power tube to begin with.
Speaker cable not connected properly.
The speaker breaking in comment made no sense.

You need professional help for your amp.

It did make sense. Everyone knows if you have a brand new speaker and turn it up loud the first time you play it you've got more of a chance of breaking it.

It just didn't make sense in this context, because i didn't read the entire post and didn't see that his amp was used already.
^It's much more severe than a speaker problem though
Also like the good posters here said take it to an amp repair shop. Maybe you can try to contact the dude you bought it from as well.
But if you bothered to read more then the first post you would know it has been used in a gig 3 or 4 times.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by Ikonoklast
It did make sense. Everyone knows if you have a brand new speaker and turn it up loud the first time you play it you've got more of a chance of breaking it.

It just didn't make sense in this context, because i didn't read the entire post and didn't see that his amp was used already.

I don't think he even mentioned the speakers...
Right, he bought it used off of ebay and had volume at 5 or 6 I think.

TS can you at least tell me what power tubes are in there now and if they look like they are pushed all the way down? I take it the tubes were in the sockets when it was shipped? I probably would have removed those prior to shipping. Sparks and a bright blue light is not good. Putting new tubes in probably will not fix anything - they will probably blow too. I'm not an amp tech.