I love the way Elixir strings sound on my Ovation, but I keep breaking them. I tune down to open D a lot, and I've been playing more gigs lately, so I'm sure that explains a lot. But I can't spend $20 a week on strings. I think my next idea is to move up to medium (.013) strings, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Does anyone know of a string that sounds good on an Ovation but takes a beating a little better?
Death to Ovation haters!
^ That pretty much sums up what you could be doing wrong. There's also the possibility that you're restringing it wrong somehow, but you'd have to do something really out of the ordinary like crimp the string every time you restring or something.

Are the strings breaking consistently at one place?
Which string is it? The G string? Elixirs are notorious for that string breaking, which is another reason I've never put Elixirs on my Martin thus far. I can't(and shouldn't have to, for that matter) afford $18 every 2 weeks either.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Wow I use elixirs on my Maton and not one has broke in the 9 months I've had it, I have re-strung it once only because I like the sound of new strings like most people...
Quote by æTonyæ
I've had the same problem with slinkys on my guitar, and when i asked these are the answers i got:
-Picking roughly (if you use a pick)
-Pulling off too hard to open string
-something sharp in the nut

you can also rub grapite into the nut before you restring it, could help a bit.

I don't think it's the nut, because they're breaking down low toward the bridge. I do use a pick for some stuff, but I don't think I'm using it too roughly, and the picks I use are pretty light. Besides, a good half of my repertoire is fingerstyle, and I play without fingerpicks or nails. I do pull off and hammer on alot.

Quote by captivate
Are the strings breaking consistently at one place?
Which string is it? The G string? Elixirs are notorious for that string breaking, which is another reason I've never put Elixirs on my Martin thus far. I can't(and shouldn't have to, for that matter) afford $18 every 2 weeks either.

It is mostly the G, although I've also broken the D and the E.

I wouldn't put Elixirs on a Martin anyway; Martin makes its own strings that sound great on Martin guitars. The Elixirs just sound brilliant on my Ovation.
Death to Ovation haters!
Hmm... towards the bridge you say? Do you have grooves in your saddle?
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Hmm... towards the bridge you say? Do you have grooves in your saddle?

The saddle is starting to groove a little, but I talked to the guy at the shop where I do most of my business yesterday, and he said that (a) unless the strings are breaking right at the saddle, it's probably not the problem, and (b) replacing the saddle on an Ovation, especially this one, would be a major pain in the ass.
Death to Ovation haters!
Your guy at your shop is correct on all accounts.

I actually have the same problem with Elixir strings and don't use them because of this. They break WAY more consistently than any other strings I've ever tried. If you want to stick with coated strings I would recommend the D'addario EXPs. If I am going to use coated strings, these are the ones I go with. Another brand that a lot of people seem to like is Cleartone EMP. I personally am not a big fan of them because I just don't like the way they sound... but I also don't really care much for the Elixir tone, so they might be perfect for you.

Most string companies make their own line of coated strings so you can always just try different ones out until you find some you like. This is really something that every guitarist has to go through. Finding the strings that work best for you is a trial and error process. If you aren't set on using coated strings, I always like the sound of plain ol' Martin strings myself
For the life of me, I don't understand how all of you are constantly breaking Elixer strings. I've used them on and off on my Alverez for the past 4 years and the only time I've ever broken one was my own dumb fault. I was retuning to standard from an altered tuning, can't recall now what it was, but it involved every string being tuned differently as compared to standard or drops, might have been that all E one that CSN&Y use on Suite: Judy Blue Eyes. Anyway, I was bringing my G string up when I should have been lowering it and snap it went. And that was over 2 yrs ago. I use the Elixer Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze, light gauge and never have an issue with them. And they sound nice. I also like the D'Addario EJ16's, which are also Phos/bronze and light gauge, but not coated. I just like the sparkle that the phos/bronzes give my Alvy. Nice and clear tones. It could also be that I generally don't switch tunings very often, but I do use the capo a lot.
I actually haven't used Elixirs in a while. Probably about... almost a year now, except for that odd one time where I bought Polywebs(I was actually much more satisfied with those than the nano webs). Anyway, I've only broken a set of strings that weren't elixirs once. All the others(probably 3 other times) were elixirs on my Art & Lutherie.

I actually really like cleartones on my Martin. They're surviving my hands.
Equipment:

I dunno, Dave. I just know I break them consistently more often than D'addarios or Martins.
It's just a weird thing then I guess. I'm glad it doesn't happen to me since I'm a fan of Elixers, except for their price tag that is. D'Addarios are still nice tho. And which Martins for steel string have the silk core again? I've tried looking at my local store and can't seem to find them, and my aging memory is failing me it seems. I want a set of those again, they hold their tuning like none other I've tried to date. And they sound sweet. But they corrode fast, so cappy, steer clear of these with your acid fingers ok. lol.
Strings with a silk core? Why I don't think I've ever seen them.
^ too late! I bought a set because I thought they were the normal Marquis. They were actually Silk & Steel Marquis and I didn't notice the "Silk & Steel" label staring right at me. I'm going to put them on my Art & Lutherie which I don't play too often so I should be good.

EDIT: nvm, these aren't silk core. They just have a silk wrapping on the end to reduce wear on the bridge + bridge plate.
Equipment:

^--- Yeah I've used the Silk and Steels, but like you said, they are only silk wrapped near the ball end of the string to prevent bridge wear for people that are extremely anal... or I guess people that have extremely nice guitars.
hmm i keep hearing of elixirs breaking but my first set is going strong going on 6 months now with no breaks. but then again i use thin picks. hmm like the 1 dude said im glad i dont have this problem because i love their strings.
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Quote by captivate
^ too late! I bought a set because I thought they were the normal Marquis. They were actually Silk & Steel Marquis and I didn't notice the "Silk & Steel" label staring right at me. I'm going to put them on my Art & Lutherie which I don't play too often so I should be good.

EDIT: nvm, these aren't silk core. They just have a silk wrapping on the end to reduce wear on the bridge + bridge plate.

Hmmm....those might be the ones. Is each string silvered? All 6 of the set I want to get again are a nice shiny silver color. Silk & Steel sounds like they should be the ones, but the store stopped carrying the ones I had before, and the owner doesn't recall which ones they are either. I really gotta start writing this stuff down!
Quote by jimtaka
Strings with a silk core? Why I don't think I've ever seen them.

Steel single strand core wire, wrapped by strands of silk, then the outer winding of silvered steel. Very bright tones. And they look outstanding against the dark of the rosewood fretboard.
At least I think this is how they were composed. I could be completely wrong too, even though we all know that never happens to me.

I'm wondering if these are the critters I'm looking for. Doesn't say anything about them being silvered outer wraps though:

^ Those are the ones I got. They only come in one gauge. .0115-.047. The tension is only about 120-130lbs. I haven't checked what they look like yet because I haven't restrung my A&L with them yet.
Equipment:

I'll restring tonight if I can, hahaha.
Equipment:

Cappy, I gotta know if all of the strings in the set are silver in color or not. If only the G,B,E strings are, and the others are brassy then those aren't the ones I'm thinking of.
But if they are all silvery colored, you got the ones right there. They won't be very bassy, but they will have a really nice tone to them. Definitely do the pre-stretch to them as you install them, you know, at the 12th fret lift the string up and away from the fretboard to help them to settle in. If you do everything just right, those baby's will hold their tuning better than any other string set I've used to date. Seriously. Well, if they're the right ones that is. hahaha
They're silver! Looks really nice, actually.
Equipment:

well.
are they breaking when you tune?
or becuase you play it a lot?

if its becuase you play a lot you need to get better strings because obviously the strings your using arent very good.

i also heard that the guitar can have a lot to do with the string damage, because a lot of guitars have their stings closer to the bridge/neck of the guitar.
which makes it rougher on the strings.

message me,
ill tell you what strings you need if you want.
Quote by captivate
They're silver! Looks really nice, actually.

So it's Silk & Steel Marquis strings then? How do they sound in your opinion?
Elixir strings are great. Especially with polyweb. But are you using acoustic lights or mediums? Maybe your pick hand is just too heavy on it.

Martin makes a Studio set that's almost exactly like it. Same feel and sound. I think it's called Martin SP
Yes agreed. How do they sound? I'm looking for something mellow.

So what are the differences between the polywebs and nanowebs? I get this comicbook feel from it
Last edited by synctium at Jan 27, 2009,
Still haven't put them on. Accounting is the bain of my existence... today. ahaha. I'll be restringing it in the next couple of minutes and reporting back to you all

As for the polyweb and nanoweb difference. Polywebs have a much thicker coating than polywebs and tend to sound a little mellower while nanowebs are VERY bright and have a thinner coating.
Equipment:

I have to weigh-in on this and say that I doubt it's the Elixirs. I've put the ones on my guitars through absolute mayhem, tuning up and down, back and sideways... they hold-out no matter what I try. I bang on them, subject them to plectrum abuse, fingernails, percussion, etc. I'm not trying to create an ad for Elixir strings here... but they have never let me down on stage.

All of this said... I use a mixed gauge that's fairly heavy with a fat 59 on the 6th, no less.

The reason I use them isn't the endurance, though... they just sound great over time. Still bright and dark enough after weeks of abuse. No complaints except the steep price and lack of bulk purchase options.
Quote by jimtaka
So it's Silk & Steel Marquis strings then? How do they sound in your opinion?

Yep, then those ARE the ones I was thinking of, and my store DOES stock them! Gees louise! So I wonder what the heck I was thinking of? Obviously had a senior moment there eh? lol
They have a really sweet tone, mellow yet clear. Awesome for fingerpicking, and like I said, they hold their tuning like none other. I remember barely needing to tweak them after like a week of sitting in it's case(was going hog wild on my SG at the time, so my poor Alverez just sat all alone....poor thing).
Let's see what captivate has to say about them. I hope he likes 'em. I sure do.
They're pretty nice strings. Definitely something to look into if you're playing with a lighter touch. I put these on my cedar top A&L and they're definitely one of the better strings I've ever put on it. The sound on the wound strings are quite mellow, but not blunt. It's a pleasant sound. I think I may just put these on my A&L from now on.
Equipment:

It's not your guitar, it's the strings. Elixirs are known for breaking in the first few weeks of playing. I'd say just get different strings.