What permission (if any) is required for a publically released sample of sounds from a movie? Say I take sampled sound clips from the Band of Brothers series, what kind of permission do I need to post them on the internet or use them in a free, public game modification?
I was told by one of my computer instructors that you can only use 30 seconds or 10% (whichever comes first) of a song before it becomes copyright infringement. Im not entirety sure, so you could probably look into that.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
None if you don't get found out! Sorry. I can't be more help to you than that; other than make sure you check the copyright laws of both your country if you are non-US, as well as US laws if you are taking from Band of Brothers. Oh, and good taste by the way. That's a hell of a good show!
I was told you could only take 7 seconds from something without permission.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Beating the elderly is a big favourite of mine. Also, pushing kids over and kicking pregnant women in the womb is fun.

Right now we're called 'Various Artists' just to fuck over people with iPods
Quote by DeadlyKombat
I was told by one of my computer instructors that you can only use 30 seconds or 10% (whichever comes first) of a song before it becomes copyright infringement. Im not entirety sure, so you could probably look into that.

Something like that, yeah.
I remember it was about 30 seconds, or 3%, whichever one comes out to be the least amount of time. 10% sounds more reasonable, though.
This is from a marketing class from like 2 years ago. So I might be way off, because I don't exactly have the most keen sense of memory.
umm also, if I sample like 4-5 3 second clips does it matter? Or as long as each individual clip is under 3 seconds?
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
so sampling 2-3 seconds for a weapon sound would not be a problem?

if it's something like a sound effect that wouldn't be recognizable then you shouldn't have a problem. Though id you wanted weapon sounds, there are tons of royalty free ones out there on the net.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I am making a mod of a game based off Band of brothers so I want to use sounds from the series so it can be as close as possible.
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
I am making a mod of a game based off Band of brothers so I want to use sounds from the series so it can be as close as possible.

If it's something like that it gets fairly complicated, I would just go for and, they probably won't bother going after you since you aren't making any money, it wouldn't be worth it to them, worst that would happen is that you would get C&D'd
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
which is what cease and whatever?

Cease and Desist
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
ya, lol I couldnt think of the other word. or how to spell it rather. I think I'll just go for it and try to minimize any kind direct copying from the series.