Page 1 of 3
I was reading the "Trifecta of bad amps" thread and was wondering who else has been smart enough not to buy any of these amps.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
i was fortunate enough to try a roland microcube first. bought it more for the effects at the time though. Glad i did!
Quote by jj1565
what type of music do you play?

if you play mostly bees in a box music then go wt the MG
if you play transformers, more than meets the eye, then Spider.

whats an FM?
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Quote by rhysm
whats an FM?

Fender Frontman. The cleans on it are decent and it takes pedals very well, but the gain knob makes you want to throw it out the window.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
the line 6 spider isn't a bad practice amp AT ALL, its actually probably the best practice amp you can get because you can do almost anything with it. but if your playing shows you'd be much MUCH better of with an amp best for your style of music.
Ive got the Fender FMDSP25, its lasted a while, though I only use it for my mp3 player these days
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by DysenteryNickkk
the line 6 spider isn't a bad practice amp AT ALL, its actually probably the best practice amp you can get because you can do almost anything with it. but if your playing shows you'd be much MUCH better of with an amp best for your style of music.

No, it isn't, there are better amps for the money than a Spider.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
I received a lovely Fender Blues Jr. about 1.5 months after I started playing for my first amp. I was fortunate because my brother had purchased an Epiphone amplifier and it was some handwired Chinese piece of junk. Sounded great for the first 30 minutes before the wiring shot itself to pieces. He took it back to our local shop, got a maybe $550 credit. He sat on it for a couple years, and when I started playing and was heading off to college (I originally played his old beater Tex-Mex Strat on his Mesa Rocket 440), he bought me my Blues Jr. with the credit and let me borrow his Strat for a couple months until I could afford one. Nicest present I've ever received.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Most of the people on the bandwagons have never owned them nor ever played one.
Quote by Necrotise
Most of the people on the bandwagons have never owned them nor ever played one.

THIS

Seriously I bet 80% of all the forum junkies on here that go around bashing MG's and Spider III's have never even PLAYED the things. I have played both, and they are never something I would buy, but PLEASE guys, learn to think for yourself! Generate your own opinions based on empirical evidence and real life experience, not what the "cool kids on UG" said.

Go out and play them before you let a bunch of random people on the internet dictate your thoughts and opinions. Decide they suck for yourself, not just because someone you will never meet/see/hear said so.
Last edited by lumberjack at Jan 26, 2009,
Nah. I still have my Fender Yale (the way SS amps should always be made) and I just ordered a Roland Cube 15x for practice and recording.
Oh and there's a Roost 150 valve head somewhere.
Quote by lumberjack
THIS

Seriously I bet 80% of all the forum junkies on here that go around bashing MG's and Spider III's have never even PLAYED the things. I have played both, and they are never something I would buy, but PLEASE guys, learn to think for yourself! Generate your own opinions based on empirical evidence and real life experience, not what the "cool kids on UG" said.

Go out and play them before you let a bunch of random people on the internet dictate your thoughts and opinions. Decide they suck for yourself, not just because someone you will never meet/see/hear said so.

They're incredibly high selling amps so there's actually a good chance that a lot of the users on this site have used or owned one. I'm not saying that there isn't a bandwagon going on, there's no way I would deny that because I don't believe that 95% of the people in GGA have tried one for more than 10 minutes. But it's impossible to deny that guitar stores sell a lot of these amps because people don't know what they're buying when they first start out and the amps sound good when you first try them out however they start to sound like crap over time.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
My first amp was a fender frontman 25r, which sounds very nice clean and at home volume levels. I still have it, although I'll definately sell it at some point.
Another terrible amp is the Yamaha GA10.
The worst amp of all time is called a Rocket 10
I started out with the Frontman 15 watt and squire strat that came in one of those starter packs. These days I prefer to play on amped instead of putting up with the awful tone.
Sig What?
Never owned any of them, but then again I started something called a "Fat Rat". O_o

I tried an MG100 when I was shopping around for my second amp, didn't like it though so I bought an SS Hughes & Kettner instead. One of my better decisions when it comes to gear.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I've never had one, i started off with a Roland DA15 which was ok for what it was, moved on to a Cube 30, good amp, way nicer modelling than spiders!! Currently i have an AC30 which blows away anything i've had before, and for practising i have my faithful Valve Junior Also have a Rocker 30 on the way...can't wait!!!!!!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by timi_hendrix
Never owned any of them, but then again I started something called a "Fat Rat". O_o

I tried an MG100 when I was shopping around for my second amp, didn't like it though so I bought an SS Hughes & Kettner instead. One of my better decisions when it comes to gear.

Some of those SS Hughes & Kettners are really nice, i played one before and its lead tones just blew me away!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've played all 3 multiple times. I've owned a Fender FM so I guess I'm not smart. Not really sure what the point of the thread is.

Here was what I took out of it.

Quote by VisionaryTics
I received a lovely Fender Blues Jr. about 1.5 months after I started playing for my first amp. I was fortunate because my brother had purchased an Epiphone amplifier and it was some handwired Chinese piece of junk. Sounded great for the first 30 minutes before the wiring shot itself to pieces. He took it back to our local shop, got a maybe $550 credit. He sat on it for a couple years, and when I started playing and was heading off to college (I originally played his old beater Tex-Mex Strat on his Mesa Rocket 440), he bought me my Blues Jr. with the credit and let me borrow his Strat for a couple months until I could afford one. Nicest present I've ever received.

Awesome outcome. Sorry about your brothers epi though.

I owned an MG, if UG or the internet existed for that matter, I probably wouldn't have. Live, learn, eat donuts.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Never purchased one, but just got a 15 watt Spider 3 given to me. Hate these amps, but I wasn't going to pass it up for free. I'd much rather have a Cube or a Vox for really low practice volumes. (I think the Vox I'm referring to is a DC-5? I forget..)
I had an old 90's Marshall 15w mini-stack. It didn't sound too terrible, but at the same time wasn't great. It was a nice beginners amp, though.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
I owned a spiderIII 75w for a couple weeks, and a marshall mg for a couple days before the spider . I was a noob and the spider "sounded" good with all the bells and whistles it had for the low price. I thank UG for guiding me on the MG, but I recently tried the spider 15w and for a practice amp, it's not halfbad, although the bigger versions are a waste of money.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
I haven't owned them but i have experienced them a lot... (my ears are dirty).

I nearly bought a spider without trying it when i was a noob, and i'm glad i decided "nah, amp just makes it louder, theres no point getting a new amp, besides that's only 75 wattz and mah amp iz 100 wattz!!!" (I still have that old torque amp)

Also, my local shop seems to switch between a MG15DFX and a Spider III 15 watter as the amp they just plug your guitar into. I've played them a lot, and never have liked them.

Another shop always plugs into a fender FM. The cleans aren't bad at all imo, i actually quite like the clean channel. It's just the overdrive that lacks tone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Can't believe no one has mentioned the crappy Crate amps. I don't even remember the name of it. All I know is that it was 10w and sounded like balls. Oh...it was the Crate XT10. I still remember trying to kick into drive while playing by using my foot to roll the knob that turned the distortion on.

Oh, fun times.
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
First amp was a frontman I bought for $10, liked it for what it was. Friend who sold me the frontman owns a spider, also something I enjoy for what it is. Was given an MG when I bought a dudes Les Paul custom, it was similar to a frontman but I didn't like it nearly as much.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
I started out with the older cube model although the music department at my school is full of spiders and mgs so I use them alot. The spiders aren't as bad as people make out but they're still not great. The mgs clean channel is useable at best but the overdrive channel is terrible. It's all fizzy and digital sounding *shudders*.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
well I now own an FM 212r, cleans are perfect and the spring delay is nice. it as a "scoop" switch for modern metal stuff but its no big deal ( its not like the insane setting on the line 6, thank god :s ).
Anyway, I use EMG's and have a boss metalcore so my amp is always on the clean channel and when i feel like playing something heavier i just use the pedal.
I've been playing since i was 9 (I'm 16 now) and i had some amps, this 1 is the best until now, the ashdown was also good though...
My first amp was a Gorilla GC-25. Never owned a Spider or an FM. However, I do own a Vypyr 15.
I have an MG 15w..absolute siht. I use it for another speaker with my stereo.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 26, 2009,
Page 1 of 3