I have a Strat hooked up to a fender blues deluxe. For pedals I have a Big Muff USA and a TS9. I really like the TS9, but I can't seem to get anything nice out of the big muff. I've tried putting them in different positions and it seems to sound a bit better with the muff placed before the TS9. I have the mid, bass, and treble all around 12 o'clock and the gain at 9. I can get a nice little crunch with just TS9 and the volume on the guitar turned way up but the Big muff sound very muddy.

Any ideas?
It's supposed to sound like that. It obviously isn't the pedal for you, sell it and get something else.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
It's a Big Muff. It's a muddy, finicky pedal. The quality control (especially on the Sovtek versions, but I see you have the American ones) is not great. It's just the nature of the beast. Mine has good days and bad days and days when I wonder why I spent a dime on it and days I wonder why they don't charge $400 for it.

The tone knob on the Big Muff should help. Turn it clockwise for a more compressed, trebly crunch and counterclockwise to get a dirtier, bassier sound.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Big Muff's aren't for everyone. They often sound better in a band mix, at loud volumes, then they do alone at lower levels.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by toppsseller
I have a Strat hooked up to a fender blues deluxe. For pedals I have a Big Muff USA and a TS9. I really like the TS9, but I can't seem to get anything nice out of the big muff. I've tried putting them in different positions and it seems to sound a bit better with the muff placed before the TS9. I have the mid, bass, and treble all around 12 o'clock and the gain at 9. I can get a nice little crunch with just TS9 and the volume on the guitar turned way up but the Big muff sound very muddy.

Any ideas?

Lulz at trying to get a nice sound out of the Muff

It's a big, fat, nasty, messy sound, the muff. It sucks out a bit of mids, to.

Best way to use an un-modded muff, IMO: Put an overdrive with a nice mid hump AFTER the muff in your chain. Run them at the same time. Turn up teh midz and treble.

Muff has gobs of low end, though I don't know through the HRD. Noon on all the knobs on the muff is usually the best way to go.
Your not going to get crunch out of a Big Muff. It is for fuzz. Putting the ts9 (with the drive at 5 or less) in front of the Big Muff will help articulate it a little.
AL