I can't decide which amp to get.I'm either going to get the Traynor Valve 50ycv blue 50 watt and add a 2x12 cab or get a Traynor YCV80.I will be using the amp for practice,rehersal,gigs like at bars and anywhere I can get a gig.My question is will 50 watts be enough too get loud enough for gigs?Is 80watts to many watts for practiceDoes anybody know which of those amps is better?
well, if i remember correctly, 50 watt tube amps have the same power as 120 watt SS. If you're only playing bars then i suggest a 30 watt tube 'cause even at a massive gig, they mic the amps up anyway.
A 50 watt tube amp is usually plenty loud.
It depends model to model just how usable the entire volume is.
Some amps, particularly solid state, lose definition as they get to the top of their output.
So I guess the Traynor Valve 50ycv will be plenty!Thanks guys for your quick replys!
Quote by luke-bassist
well, if i remember correctly, 50 watt tube amps have the same power as 120 watt SS. If you're only playing bars then i suggest a 30 watt tube 'cause even at a massive gig, they mic the amps up anyway.

50 watts tube has the same power as 50watts SS, because watts is the units of power

next: i think 50w is adequate for bars, theyre noisy enough to start with, so you're going to need clean headroom, you wont always have a PA for gigs.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
50 watts is way more than you will ever need at anything less than an unmic'd LARGE gig, if you are playing with overdrive or distortion. The only time you will EVER need anything more than about 25-30 tube watts at a gig is when A) you are not mic'd or B) you need a clean tone with no breakup at very high volume levels, like in a big band jazz group or with a country/pop group.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
50 watts tube has the same power as 50watts SS, because watts is the units of power

next: i think 50w is adequate for bars, theyre noisy enough to start with, so you're going to need clean headroom, you wont always have a PA for gigs.

i think he meant to say that a 50 watt tube is the same loudness as a 120 watt SS
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

technically the power is the same, but the volume is not, 50 watts tube is much louder than 50 watts solid state.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
If you're playing bars/ gyms/ small clubs, 50 watts is plenty, but for larger venues you will definitly need more. Plus, theres always the whole thought of being taken more seriously when you have a larger amp. It definitly helps to look like you know decent equipment.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
From my experience, some amps generally change from this rule. My 100Watt Randall head (solid state) was about twice as loud as my (now sold ) Marshall hybrid 150 watt , I was running it through the cab (the speaker from the Marshall)

But in general, valve amps can be about 2-3 times as loud. So, in other words:

50Watt tubes = 150 Solid state.

EDIT: Another note, is that louder, tubes won't (or shouldn't) lose their tone cranked even at 50 watts. They will break up at lower volumes though. But with solid states, most gigging amps generally have a massive amount of watts. Like there's the Randall Rh300 which will sound alot better than the RH150 at the same volume cranked.

And there isn't much of a difference between a 50watt all valve and 100watt all valve. I think it's 3 decibels.

EDIT2: About my Marshall... that could just be the amp. On my Vox AD15VT, I always have the master on 3 and the volume on 3. It was equally as loud as the Marshall with the master on 3 and the volume on 3.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Last edited by darrenjables at Jan 26, 2009,
It really depends on the drummer. A fifty watt tube combo should be fine with about 90% of the drummers out there. If you drummer is extremely loud you may need a 100 watt half stack. I'm sure there is gonna be a ton of people saying that it doesn't matter it can be mic'd. But the positive with a combo tube amp live is that you get the opportunity to really crank it and get nice tube saturation. If you feel you needed to move a little more air on stage get an extension cab. Some venues have the mains on the floor (in front of the stage) and some have them hanging from above sometimes 15ft+ from the edge of the stage. If you have a lot of people up against the stage they aren't hearing the mains as much as they are hearing your raw stage volume. So you do want a robust stage sound.
AL
Most 50 watt amps could fill a giant room, forget about clubs and small gigs. Also remember watts is not a good measure of volume. For some reason the industry has standardized on watts for the measure of power, but they don't publish decibals.

I have an Orange Rockerverb 50 2x12 Combo, and I can't turn the master up past "0.75" on the thing and it shakes the room I'm in, and if I turn it up to "1" out of "10", anyone in the entire house can hear it, clearly, through walls. I imagine in front of a drum kit I wouldn't have to turn it up past 2 or 3, and it would be insanely loud.
Most tube amps are very loud lol, it all comes down to headroom, if you like your cleans loud you'll want a higher wattage amp, although this means your gain will be a little less effective
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by BassFishin
If you're playing bars/ gyms/ small clubs, 50 watts is plenty, but for larger venues you will definitly need more. Plus, theres always the whole thought of being taken more seriously when you have a larger amp. It definitly helps to look like you know decent equipment.

Just because you buy big things doesn't mean you know the difference between good and bad equipment. I would argue the exact opposite in fact. A bad band shows up to a gig and plays horribly, they look WORSE for having big, flashy gear, as it clearly indicates they don't know that gear doesn't make the player. The player makes the gear. Showing up with big amps proves only two things: you have a healthy back and you have a healthy wallet.

If you want to show people you know what you're doing at a gig, you PLAY WELL. What gear you're using is nearly meaningless so long as it's playable and can be heard when it comes to proving your worth as a musician.
Quote by BassFishin

yourrr soooo wrrongg!!!
Quote by stratdud39
yourrr soooo wrrongg!!!

+1

I havent had my DSL 50 past 5 volume gigging in small clubs
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Thanks for all your input guys.So does anybody know what the better amp choice would be.The Traynor YCV50 blue with an extension cabinet of the Traynor YCV80 2x12 combo
I say get the 50blue one, its a bit more versatile than the standard ycv's
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
If you're playing in a band and price isn't a factor go with the Traynor YCV80 2x12 combo. But the fifty is gonna be pretty damn loud too. If you do go with the 50blue wait on the extension cab. You might find that your ok.
AL
1 for the Traynor YCV80 2x12 .I think I'm leaning more too the YCV80.I just hope it isn't to loud for practice without the band
I just got the YCV50 Blue a couple weeks ago, dude you cannot go wrong, it's fookin' incredible. I have not even put the Master Vol past 3 yet and I played for a house party of about 20 people a few nights back. I typically keep it about 0.5-1 for bedroom practice. Git r done boyee!
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
Can u tell me if the YCV 50 blue has a direct out so I can record?I know the 80 does
Quote by jim94535
Can u tell me if the YCV 50 blue has a direct out so I can record?I know the 80 does

Ewh. no...mic that thang.
AL