The problem isn't with the amp itself. It's a marshall avt 150 head, through a hartke 4x12. I don't use a distortion pedal, I use the amp's OD2 channel when I play. As far as pedals, I use a boss noise surpressor and super overdrive but only turn it on to help boost leads, and also a vox wah. I plug the amp into a surge protector and I use that same strip to power my pedals. The problem is that I get a lot of hum, which I realize is natural and it really doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that when I play shows the sound guys always come tell me that all they hear is the hum and say that it's drowning out the other players. So they tell me to turn it down ( I usually start with the OD2 level at 10, and the master at about 6.5/7). So when i turn it down they say that they raise my level on their board but then I'm not heard. It happens at every show, every venue. I was thinking about getting a hum cancelor but my brother insists that they don't work. So, I ask, do I need a hum cancelor, or am is it that I'm dealing with idiotic sound guys, or is it something else. It's really annoying especially because I'm the lead. Oh by the way they mic the cabinet and I set it up mono with one speaker cable. Any advice at all would be helpfull, thanks.
You already have a noise surpressor so a hum canceller will be useless.

Does your guitar have humbuckers or singlecoils?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Too much gain.
You could also work around with your EQ settings. If your EQ fits well in the band, not just in your bedroom, then you really shouldn't have to turn up terribly loud.
If you dial back the gain that will take out some hum. Just about every distortion pedal at 10 is going to hiss like a wild bitch. If you are playing full-out distorted all of the time get a noise gate like a Decimator or something so it get quiet at least when you stop playing or in breaks in the song(s). Also, good cables, Pickups, make sure your electronics in your guitar are insulated with reflective foil. Make sure you guitar wiring is grounded too.
AL
Last edited by Adam Loeke at Jan 26, 2009,
If your getting enough hum to bug the sound guys then there is something wrong. You could try reordering your pedals on your pedal board...put the NS before everything except for maybe the Wah. You could also try going through each pedal and each patch cord to see if there is something wrong with the connection or if there is some sort of short. It may also be your cab...If you have a powerful head running through a low end cab then sometimes you can get humming and cracking...Try your set up with a higher end cab. If all else fails then you can try the HC pedal but its always best to check every possable problem before getting a pedal. Good Luck!
Do you really need to drive a valvestate halfstack that hard if it's going to be mic'd anyway?
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Adam Loeke
If you dial back the gain that will take out some hum. Just about every distortion pedal at 10 is going to hiss like a wild bitch. If you are playing full-out distorted all of the time get a noise gate like a Decimator or something so it get quiet at least when you stop playing or in breaks in the song(s). Also, good cables, Pickups, make sure your electronics in your guitar are insulated with reflective foil. Make sure you guitar wiring is grounded too.

You pretty much stole my post.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
BTW...You shouldnt have to turn your gain down if you have a NS and dont use the drive pedal all the time...If the humming is coming from the drive pedal then yes that would be an option but it sounds like it hums without the drive pedal on....So I am almost positive its not that...and I have never heard of pick-ups creating enough hum to piss off a soundman...Thats ridiculus...
Quote by Dopey_Trout
Do you really need to drive a valvestate halfstack that hard if it's going to be mic'd anyway?

Quiet you. I you're a guitarist then you should know there's no such thing as TOO LOUD!!!

TS: Try plugging into a different outlet, try putting your noise gate in your effects loop, and try other things that have been mentioned.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Quiet you. I you're a guitarist then you should know there's no such thing as TOO LOUD!!!

If you're using a valve

A valvestate won't really get any benefit from it apart from sounding like ass soup
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
1. I would not plug the amp into the same surge protector unit as your pedal power.
2. You could have a noisy preamp tube.
3. Try removing each pedal from you chain one at a time. One of the pedals might be adding hum and may benefiet from having the jacks sprayed with contact cleaner.
4. Are you daisy chaining the pedals for power? If so, unused daisy chain plug tips will cause hum if not isolated properly.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
thanks everyone for the help. The reason why I play it so loud with so much gain is that I play metal. But not like hardcore, more like thrash like megadeth/metallica kinda stuff. So the objective for me was to get as heavy of a sound as possible. And for the record it's not even my amp, my brother lets me borrow it because I'm too poor to buy my own.
I pretty much have the 100 watt combo version of your head and I've found that with the OD2 channel you don't get much more noticable pre-amp disortion going past about 2 o'clock, same goes for OD1.

Push the channel volumes right up, keep the gain at 2.00 and use plenty of mids to cut through in a band situation.
Otherwise use a pedal. My Metal Zone is a great alternate to the amps more Rock/mids overdrive.

But yeah the OD2 channel has a fair bit of hum from the start....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.