I want a new pickup for my guitar. I'm not thinking of replacing the amp, cause I have an all decent amp. The guitar is a Gibson Les Studio with stock pickups.

While some people perhaps would tell me I should change guitar, I like this LP so much so I'm just gonna throw some new pickups into it.

My big idol is Van Halen, all the 80'ies stuff he did was amazing. I am also a big fan of steve vai.

What I'm looking for is high-output pickups. Like x2n, dimes etc. I can't seem to figure out about EMG 81, half the reviews say it's the best, the other half that it's the most useless sh*t they've ever played on.

But the goal with my pickup is to get a compressed hi-gain sound for van halen style tapping. Also I've heard VH used a Gibson PAF from a 335'er. Is that true?

Any help is welcome
What amp are you using? What's your budget?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
i'd get an x2n, try out an invader and see what you think, i think it has to do a lot with the wood depending on how much the guitar will like the invader, as some love them, and a lot hate them, i like mine though.
i believe he did use a gibson PAF, but im not sure
EDIT: yes whats your amp?
I don't have experience with their "contemporary" pickups, but everyone loves Bareknuckle.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/products.html

They definitely have high output. The "warpig" is 22k in the bridge!!!

They have sound clips and reviews on the site.

I have a set of their "Mule" pickups in my hollowbody and love them. Great quality, great sound.

-J
Budget is "basicaly" unlimited. Not paying more then 1000$ for one pickup ofc.

Amp is Engl blackmore (2000$ amp)
Nims just /thread'd this thread
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
Nims just /thread'd this thread

I'll look at them for sure
Quote by Danyg
Budget is "basicaly" unlimited. Not paying more then 1000$ for one pickup ofc.

First off, if you know of a $1000 pick up, I wanna see it lol

Quote by Danyg
Amp is Engl blackmore (2000$ amp)

Second, this is a great amp. What do you feel is missing from your tone that you are trying to find?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
First off, if you know of a $1000 pick up, I wanna see it lol

I was just showing that money isn't a problem

Second, this is a great amp. What do you feel is missing from your tone that you are trying to find?

As mentioned I'm looking for the hi-gain compressed sound to go with the amp.
lundgren The One. have it in my sg and love it. perfect for everything from acdc to blackmetal. Great evh/ratt/mötley crüe tone.