hey guys, i recently got a schecter C-1 hellraiser FR from guitar centre houstan when i went on holiday to america. i am now thinking, a 7 string guitar would be a lot more useful, as much of what i listen to involves heavily dropped guitars, and standard tuning limits me to pretty much just metallica, pantera and old trivium (out of the music i am into). is there a guitar that is identical to mine but has a 7th string, and would i (almost) be able to get enough money selling my current one to buy it? and is there any point? what do you guys think
You could always drop tune [all strings] your guitar.

Adjust the spring tension, etc., and you'll be fine.

And it's a lot cheaper.
OR buy a fixed bridge guitar and use that for lower tunings.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
theres the Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Simsimius
You could always drop tune [all strings] your guitar.

Adjust the spring tension, etc., and you'll be fine.

And it's a lot cheaper.
OR buy a fixed bridge guitar and use that for lower tunings.

hah i had thought of this, and i have adjusted the tuning and the bridge springs before when i changed to a heavier gauge string. but dropping from EADGBE to BEADGB is a HUGE drop, and if i'm going to do that i have two questions:

1. will i need heavier gauge strings than what i have now. i currently have DR-11s with a 50 on the low E

2. i can adjust the bridge myself, but will the truss rod need changing because i dont have a clue how to alter that
Quote by Random3
hah i had thought of this, and i have adjusted the tuning and the bridge springs before when i changed to a heavier gauge string. but dropping from EADGBE to BEADGB is a HUGE drop, and if i'm going to do that i have two questions:

1. will i need heavier gauge strings than what i have now. i currently have DR-11s with a 50 on the low E

2. i can adjust the bridge myself, but will the truss rod need changing because i dont have a clue how to alter that

1. You should be fine with 11s, but if they get too sloppy, you may have to go to .12s and .13s. But I've played in D Standard and Drop C with .9s and it was still tight.

2. When you detune, you need to make sure the Floyd Rose is still completely horizontal. Loosen the strings round the back until the FR is dead straight (toi make it easy, take a photo of the FR in standard tuning [as it is njow], when you detune and adjust the springs, make sure it looks like it did in the photo).

Maybe look here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576711
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
1. You should be fine with 11s, but if they get too sloppy, you may have to go to .12s and .13s. But I've played in D Standard and Drop C with .9s and it was still tight.

2. When you detune, you need to make sure the Floyd Rose is still completely horizontal. Loosen the strings round the back until the FR is dead straight (toi make it easy, take a photo of the FR in standard tuning [as it is njow], when you detune and adjust the springs, make sure it looks like it did in the photo).

Maybe look here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576711

so should i downtune one string all the way, then adjust the FR, then do the next string and so on?

also can i get a second opinion on the string gauge? because playing in B standard with the same strings i use for E standard doesnt sound quite right. no offence dude but i just wanna be sure
11s will be fine for drop tunings. And you've proved you can use them to play in standard (not that many people would, mind....)
I wouldn't bother with a 7 string, you'd still have to change the tunings to get low *chords*
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by J.MitMetallica
11s will be fine for drop tunings. And you've proved you can use them to play in standard (not that many people would, mind....)
I wouldn't bother with a 7 string, you'd still have to change the tunings to get low *chords*

ok cheers

so would i have to adjust the truss rod at all?
Quote by Random3
so should i downtune one string all the way, then adjust the FR, then do the next string and so on?

also can i get a second opinion on the string gauge? because playing in B standard with the same strings i use for E standard doesnt sound quite right. no offence dude but i just wanna be sure

Downtune ALL of the strings first, THEN adjust the FR last.

Why not? If they're too sloppy for you, then get heavier ones, but it should be fine.

And you do not have to adjust the truss rod IIRC.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Random3

Just so you know, B standard is BEADF#B because it's 2.5 steps down.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.