I'm trying to create some content for a website I'm putting together that I want to
use as a source for marketing myself as a guitar teacher. Some of this content I
want to be videos. I'm no audio engineer, but I'm pretty decent working with audio
mp3's -- at least I'm happy with the quality. I've been using Alberton Live which
I'm very happy with. But, shooting videos, especially with good audio, I know
nothing about.

Now, I'm trying to get good audio in some videos. Here's a couple of examples I've
made up on YouTube as my first attempts:

This one is just me playing an improvisation over a simple track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ7O-3yUOA

This one I was planning to have as a small part of a much longer lesson video on
"Sweeping all over the neck: What shapes do I sweep?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMBq0zk9rU

I don't know if I'm being overly-critical, but I'm just not happy with the audio.

In these 2 takes I used a Pandora 5XD. I looped a drum track and a couple of
bars of phrase track in the Pandora and did a direct line-in recording of the audio
to a Mac Powerbook running iMovie Video Capture (using the Powerbook builtin
camera).

Ideally I'd like to use Alberton Live to create the backing and do the playback and
recording while I'm filming. That way I'll have access to all the individual tracks.
But then I'll have to export the audio, paste it into iMovie, synch up the audio with
the video and export the final iMovie. That just seems like a tedious pipeline when
doing a lot of cuts and retakes. So, it becomes not so ideal after all because I'd
really like just get the good audio directly with the video as I'm recording the video.

I'm just curious what others might use. Probably I just need to play around with
this more. I have some other options like a Digitech GNX4 (on board 8-track) and
a Zoom 8 Track HD Recorder. I could try miking I suppose, but I think it's even
harder getting good results that way (plus, I have birds and there's no telling when
they might decide to provide "backup vocals". Here's a video of one of them
doing her word practice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTlpTxXmwmc She's
pretty funny and actually DOES do a singing thing when I play a certain chord
progression -- haven't been able to capture that yet as she clams up when the
camera is on).

OK, sorry about meandering... the question is ideas for good quality audio with
video.
For some reason it kinda sounds like you are using a mic because of the "in a tin can" kind of sound. I would continue to mess around with the DI. you could try a mic and you might get a better sound but I'm not entirely sure on what to do. maybe take a look in the riffs and recording section. (I know there's only two people there 90% of the time but maybe you can find some good information.) Good luck with the teaching.
Quote by edg
I'm trying to create some content for a website I'm putting together that I want to
use as a source for marketing myself as a guitar teacher. Some of this content I
want to be videos. I'm no audio engineer, but I'm pretty decent working with audio
mp3's -- at least I'm happy with the quality. I've been using Alberton Live which
I'm very happy with. But, shooting videos, especially with good audio, I know
nothing about.

Now, I'm trying to get good audio in some videos. Here's a couple of examples I've
made up on YouTube as my first attempts:

This one is just me playing an improvisation over a simple track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ7O-3yUOA

This one I was planning to have as a small part of a much longer lesson video on
"Sweeping all over the neck: What shapes do I sweep?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMBq0zk9rU

I don't know if I'm being overly-critical, but I'm just not happy with the audio.

In these 2 takes I used a Pandora 5XD. I looped a drum track and a couple of
bars of phrase track in the Pandora and did a direct line-in recording of the audio
to a Mac Powerbook running iMovie Video Capture (using the Powerbook builtin
camera).

Ideally I'd like to use Alberton Live to create the backing and do the playback and
recording while I'm filming. That way I'll have access to all the individual tracks.
But then I'll have to export the audio, paste it into iMovie, synch up the audio with
the video and export the final iMovie. That just seems like a tedious pipeline when
doing a lot of cuts and retakes. So, it becomes not so ideal after all because I'd
really like just get the good audio directly with the video as I'm recording the video.

I'm just curious what others might use. Probably I just need to play around with
this more. I have some other options like a Digitech GNX4 (on board 8-track) and
a Zoom 8 Track HD Recorder. I could try miking I suppose, but I think it's even
harder getting good results that way (plus, I have birds and there's no telling when
they might decide to provide "backup vocals". Here's a video of one of them
doing her word practice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTlpTxXmwmc She's
pretty funny and actually DOES do a singing thing when I play a certain chord
progression -- haven't been able to capture that yet as she clams up when the
camera is on).

OK, sorry about meandering... the question is ideas for good quality audio with
video.

What I do is capture the video live in Imovie, while recording the audio into Logic Pro. When Im done I bounce out the audio and import it into Imovie. If you have Guitar Rig or something similar you can go direct in and get a great sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvd7pnXD97g&feature=channel_page
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 26, 2009,
Thanks!

Yeah, the "tin can" sound. I hate that. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just
my speakers or something.

I don't have Guitar Rig, but it sounds like what you do is what I mentioned with using
Alberton Live. I was hoping to avoid the extra steps of exporting/importing and
having to start 2 recording devices at once. But that's what I might end up with.

I guess I'll just have to monkey around with it more (no pun intended). I might be
able to get better results with the GNX4 and USB that right into iMovie as audio input.
^^ do it separate. This is how everything is done with video/audio.

Record the audio and film urself playing to the part, then edit the audio over it later.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 26, 2009,
It might come to that, but I'm hoping I can streamline the process. If I'm doing a lot
of different cuts and takes, all the intermediate processing gets cumbersome.

I think I just have to change my outlook. Normally when making an mp3 I'm not
overly concerned up front with the precise tone -- I know I have the individual tracks
and can bring out better audio for a final mix. With the video, if I'm fussier with the tone
up-front, I can get it acceptable for direct audio recording along with the video with USB
as audio input. I think.
FWIW, after poring over the manual, the Digitech GNX4 I think will deliver the most
bang for the buck. It's got a lot of output options in addition to the 8-track on-board
recorder. As I'm filming, I can go direct from the GNX4's balanced outputs to the
Mac's Line In. It also has a USB output, but as far as I can tell it sends only the
guitar signal up that; not the playback from the 8-track. That still may prove useful.

That still gives me individual control of each track onboard the GNX4. Still
no substitute for being able to edit a final mix, but this doesn't have to perfect -- just
not sound like ass. If worse comes to worse, I still have all the individual tracks on
board the GNX4 as WAV files. I can just pull out the SD card, walk it over to the
computer and do an audio final mix with the good software. I can even go the
other way -- create the backing tracks on the computer and put them on the GNX4's
SD card to playback as I'm filming.

The Pandora is a great little device for laying down individual tracks that can go
into a final mix, but just doesn't have quite enough capability

@Munkey: When you mix in your audio in iMovie, do you just set the original
audio track in the MOV file to 0 volume, then paste in the audio? What's a good
way to synch audio with video? Do you just play a "synch note" while both audio
and video recorders are rolling so you can match them up?
Quote by z4twenny
^ thats seriously a lot of trouble and its not ALWAYS done that way.

Yeah. Some of what I'm trying to do here may be a result of being a game
programmer. We generally have a ton of art and music content. Between the
artists and getting into the game, there's usually a fairly complex "pipeline" all
the source data has to go through. The more cumbersome the pipeline, the
harder it is to iterate and turn out a "build". I still have a TON to do with getting
the website going, the less I have to fiddle with video and audio bits and pieces,
the better.