So I've been playing guitar for about 3-4 months or so, and I'm already getting tired of my ****ty amp (a Marshall MG10CD).

The problem I have is that I can't go and try out amps because there's no decent stores within a 50km radius of where I live. I'm most likely just going to order it online and rely on advice/reviews from here and youtube vids etc...

I'm looking for something that can give decent metal tones at bedroom levels, I don't plan to play in a band anytime soon so I really don't need anything too loud.

I mostly listen to melodeath (Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy...) and am learning to play songs in that style if that helps.

I'm willing to spend up to ~500$, what are my options ?
Vypyr 30 and up

Its has many high gain models that are all really awesome. Plus it has so many cool features like the stompboxes and built in effx. Its very versatile too just in case but its basically good at anything you want it to do.

It is way better than the competing cubes and valvetronixes and MGs and spiders
All I can say is bigger is not always better. playing quietly on some amps is next to impossible so try to keep the wattage low for practice amps and you can't go wrong
Marshall MG30DFX...

... Just kidding.
Like the 2 guys said before, the Roland Cube or the Peavey Vypyr are really good for metal.
If it's just for practice I wouldn't go above 30W, unless you practice with a drummer, then the Cube 60 may be necessary.
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Peavey Vypyr 30w or 75w would be the best you could get.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
pod X3. since you dont need to play with a band or anything, it would be perfect. you can get it along with some good speakers, and you've got a rig that you can use with headphones, with the speakers, and to record.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.