I am getting my first tube amp (Blackheart Little Giant), and would like to play it at more than bedroom level volumes. I am also getting teh Weber micro mass so I will still be able to use it in the house.

Anyway, I have a two level garage and would like to be able to play it in there at some type of volume. The problem is that it has been about 18 degrees here lately. I feel nervous about leaving a tube amp in that kind of cold.

The garage is not heated, I do have a small space heater if necessary. Would it be advisable to put it in those kind of conditions? Is there any type of cover I could get that would keep it from freezing?

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Off topic, but did you order the amp? Despite Blackheart's website saying there are like 5 dealers in the area, there is only one dealer, and that's in Kutztown.
If you can, keep it in the house. If you can't, you should probably use the heater and maybe before you play keep the stand-by switch on for more than a minute to warm up the tubes a bit more.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Fender Blues Jr.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

THE WHO
Quote by eurotrashed
Off topic, but did you order the amp? Despite Blackheart's website saying there are like 5 dealers in the area, there is only one dealer, and that's in Kutztown.

I got off of eBay. Should arrive tomorrow. I live 2 blocks away from Penn Avenue Music and talked to Kathy, the owner the other day and asked her whether they are going to carry them since the Blackheart site has them listed as a dealer and I have not seen any of them in there. She told me they ordered them but have not received them yet.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Quote by stratomaster15
If you can, keep it in the house. If you can't, you should probably use the heater and maybe before you play keep the stand-by switch on for more than a minute to warm up the tubes a bit more.

Little Giants don't have a standby switch unfortunately.

I guess I can keep it in the house until it gets warmer and then take it out in the garage.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
I haven't played in cold weather (it's Texas), but I don't know that you should be too worried. Google turned this up, and it confirmed what I thought.

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/techtips/d--07/01/1999

Basically, just be careful, and let the tubes warm up and cool off gradually. It's quick changes between extreme temperatures that are usually bad. Also, condensation blows, don't let it happen.
just let it warm up longer than you usually would. and no quick changes in temperature (like glass they could smash)
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Rio38
I got off of eBay. Should arrive tomorrow. I live 2 blocks away from Penn Avenue Music and talked to Kathy, the owner the other day and asked her whether they are going to carry them since the Blackheart site has them listed as a dealer and I have not seen any of them in there. She told me they ordered them but have not received them yet.

From whatever the guy that works there told me a few months ago, they were supposed to get them over the summer, never did, canceled the order and he basically said screw them.
Quote by eurotrashed
From whatever the guy that works there told me a few months ago, they were supposed to get them over the summer, never did, canceled the order and he basically said screw them.

From what I hear, they are severely backordered. I think for the price, they are a great amp and people in my tier of playing are scrambling for them.

I checked out the website for the shop in Kutztown you told me about before. Looks like a nice shop.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
I'd say, plug in your heater first, let it warm up the section of the garage you want to play in, (top level would make more sense since the heat would be rising). Once it warms up a bit, turn the amp on with volume at 0. Let it sit for about 5 minutes with the volume on 0 since jumping from one temperature extreme to another is BAD for the tubes and will shorten their life. I would just keep it in the house for now....but that's just my opinion.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Rio38
From what I hear, they are severely backordered. I think for the price, they are a great amp and people in my tier of playing are scrambling for them.

I checked out the website for the shop in Kutztown you told me about before. Looks like a nice shop.

The guy in Kutztown just has boxes sitting around of new Blackheart amps. And every online outlet has them in stock, so I don't get why Penn Ave had a hard time getting them.