Well, tax returns are rolling around, and I need a new axe.

I play primarily metal, but I'm looking to tone it down a bit and buy a strat for more versatile tones. However, I want to keep the H/H config.

Fender isn't a must, but I would prefer. I'm looking to spend ~$600 and I'd love to go USED. Finish doesn't matter, blah blah.

OT:
I'd love an H/H Fender Strat w/ an FR. =]
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:
Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
s320?
EXACTLY like a strat minus a pickguard, and Mahogany instead of Alder.
Very good quality, and yet still cheap.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page09.php?area_id=3&data_id=584&color=CL01&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=230
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by Simsimius
s320?
EXACTLY like a strat minus a pickguard, and Mahogany instead of Alder.
Very good quality, and yet still cheap.

it's also more rounded half the thickness

but still an awesome guitar
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
^^if you manage to get one of those used (or an S470 or 520 for that matter), you'd even have enough money left to replace the stock pups with really good ones. Should do the trick I believe.

Fender produces similar guitars if I remember correctly, give me a second to look it up.
Quote by TheQuailman
^^if you manage to get one of those used (or an S470 or 520 for that matter), you'd even have enough money left to replace the stock pups with really good ones. Should do the trick I believe.

Fender produces similar guitars if I remember correctly, give me a second to look it up.

God yes - I forgot you're buying used!
You can put in some new pickups and have a guitar that can compete with anything!

It's worth looking around at other guitars and brands too. Maybe a used Jackson?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Yeah, I'll look around. Just remember, I'm looking for a traditional strat shape, not a superstrat.
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:

7/ERG Legion
Quote by IWank7Sevens
Yeah, I'll look around. Just remember, I'm looking for a traditional strat shape, not a superstrat.

The S series is a traditional strat shape IMO (but body is a bit thinner to reduce weight and maintain the "lightness", comfort and mobility of a strat).

You could always buy a [maybe used?] Mexi Fender Strat and put in some humbuckers. Still would be cheap.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I've thought of that too.

I'm aware that you can just replace the pickguard, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that route. I may just go HSS, though. I'm still unsure, I've got a bit to ponder.
Quote by Deep*Kick

Rig:

7/ERG Legion
Quote by IWank7Sevens
I've thought of that too.

I'm aware that you can just replace the pickguard, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that route. I may just go HSS, though. I'm still unsure, I've got a bit to ponder.

A HSS strat is great for metal.
The humbucker does what you'd expect, but the single coil in the neck really gives you a unique tone.
Plus, single coils sound wonderful with gain IMO (look at Motorhead and Yngwie).
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Dude, is there any point?

Your looking to tone it down and get a strat. Fair enough.

But then you get a floyd rose and H/H.

That's just not logical .
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Maybe something like this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=501161. I know the pics show a standard trem but its a Floyd model. Then you can decide if you want to get a new pickguard and pups from there. Only thing is I'm not sure how good the Floyd is, maybe someone else will give their input on that.
I just checked, the only HH guitar Fender has out now is the Jaguar HH as far as I can see. Doesn't really fit the bill because of it's tremolo system (Not to mention the price).

But, as has been said, a HSS should work just fine.