This is my first post so bear with me.I currently use the gain channel on my amp for all of my overdriven needs,but i would like it to be tighter than it is.I am going for that crushing "wall of sound" type grit.Anyway Iam thinking about using an eq in front of the amp(looking at the boss ge-7 or the mxr 6band)to thicken/tighten things up.Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.(GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM w/ seymour duncan sh jazz and sh-4 jb combo,mesa dual rectifier roadster w/4X12)
An EQ can do wanders for you sound, plus the added versatility isn't a bad thing either. I think its definitely what you're looking for. I recommend the MXR. I have the 10-band and its definitely worth the cash.
i like EQ's for tone shaping best when their in the FX loop. if your looking for a tigher tone, the first thing i would get is an OD, then save up for an EQ.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by stratdud39
if you want to tighten your sound, then you what you want is an Overdrive pedal. Eqs are meant for shaping your tone

Which means, you can use it for tightening your sound, as well as a myriad of other tone-shaping options... so an EQ might be a better, more versatile option
While an OD would help by adding more gain with the pedal and backing off the gain levels on the amp, but an EQ would be perfect for this situation. Rectos are known to be quite flubby at times. I have heard that if you turn the bass on the amp down to 0, then use an EQ pedal to dial back in the low frequencies you get a lot tighter of a sound.

Don't quote me on it, I have only heard of this technique and hot actually used it. Maybe get the pedal from Guitar Center and abuse the 30 day return policy. Use it and test with it as much as you can then if you don't like it, return it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Try the Fish n Chips eq from danelectro. It's moderately cheap and is basically as good as any more expensive eq. Also, in case it's not what you want you wouldn't have lost much money and will still have an easy time saving for an OD
Overdrive to tighten it, but i would get an EQ Mxr is good
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Ive actually test driven quite a few pedals(boss metalcore=crap,used to own metazone,tried the blackstar dual,etc)It seems nowadays all the overdrive pedals immulate the tube amps anyway,so i figured i might as well stick with the amps own gain.(although i wish i had my old tubscreamer back!)i like the mesa sound and the growl,but yes it is a bit flubby.
Last edited by scotmayrosis at Jan 26, 2009,
ive also noticed that it seems like most overdrive pedals suck tone.while i like crushing tone,at the same time it needs warmth,life;it needs to feel cozy. oh and i try to stay analog if possible.(EFFECTS:MXR CARBON COPY DELAY,MXR STEREO CHORUS,CRYBABY,ERNIE BALLVP JR)
Last edited by scotmayrosis at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by scotmayrosis
Ive actually test driven quite a few over drive pedals(boss metalcore=crap,used to own metazone,tried the blackstar dual,etc)

why did you give distortion pedals as examples of overdrive pedals ?
btw, you can use an EQ to tighten up the sound in front of the amp by turning the gain on the amp down a bit, and dialing the overall gain on the EQ up a lot.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
please forgive me,but i have not noticed the difference between the two,could you please elaborate(as i said, any advice is good advice)
You need a clean boost to tighten your sound. EQ's are great, and they can HELP to get you a tighter sound, but without something else to tighten things up you won't be blown away by the difference in low end tightness that an EQ will offer. Granted they can radically alter your tone and improve your sound, however, a high quality OD like the Maxon OD 808 with the volume dimed and the gain nearly off will work a magic on your amp in regards to tightness that an EQ never will.

You could dime all the EQ frequencies to get a similar effect, but this will be loud, hissing, and at the end of the day you haven't EQ'd your guitar, you've just used it like a clean boost.

Go for the OD as a clean boost first, then look into EQ's.
I wuz gonna say good pickups; but, it looks like you've got that covered. Yeah and eq pedal or something like a Seymor Duncan Pickup booster to help slam the pre-amp a little harder. If the eq on your amp is passive, turn all of the eq knobs up to 10 and dial out what you don't want. That'll feed as much tone as possible to the power tubes. Another 4X12 added to the mix would definitely rock. Rock and Roll!
AL
>.>
<.<

*jacks thread for two seconds*

Can an EQ "push" the amp's sound more? Or would it just be better to close my amp's back? Neither is a problem, just wondering.

And for tightening your sound, OD's do wonders. But ZeGuitarist makes a valid point too
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
LUMBERJACK,you suggested the maxon overdrive with an eq,i should be able to get the same affect from a tube screamer(has anyone used the greenscreamer?)no?also i have a boost switch built into my roadster........so maybe....?
my custom came stock with 490R and 498T pups,and while they have some sweet bluesy tones and gorgeous cleans,when its time for the tectonic riffage,they register a bit to low on the richter scale.....if you know what i mean.im somewhat partial to the" cult of neur/isis" with a pelican twist,kindve where my sound wanders.(meandering clean passages into big pretentious crescendos).
Mmk, no one answered your question about distortion/od, so I'll do it.

Basically, distortion is hard clipping. The signal is high gain, with the sound waves being cut off at a certain point. A distortion pedal replicates a distorted tube amp most of the time.

Overdrive is softer clipping, meant to replicate an overdriven tube amp (i.e. a tube amp turned up past a certain point on the clean channel) overdrive pedals have much less gain than a distortion pedal. When the gain is at 0 and the level dimed, the OD will mimic a clean boost (i.e. just a "jump" in volume) helping to tighten up the sound while adding a hair more gain.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by stratman_13
>.>
<.<

*jacks thread for two seconds*

Can an EQ "push" the amp's sound more? Or would it just be better to close my amp's back? Neither is a problem, just wondering.

And for tightening your sound, OD's do wonders. But ZeGuitarist makes a valid point too

yes, EQ's can push the amp harder, seeing as most of them have an overall gain slider. turn that up, and put the EQ in front of the amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
thanks for that raijouta,i was not aware of the difference there.thanks for clearing that up.So...i'm thinking from what ive gathered here..OVERDRIVE+EQ+A LITTLE ELBOW GREASE=
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
yes, EQ's can push the amp harder, seeing as most of them have an overall gain slider. turn that up, and put the EQ in front of the amp

I meant help sound projection, but Invader Jim answered me question in GB&C in another thread. So thanks anyways man

And to the TS, if you want to thicken your sound, you'd be better off with an EQ.

If you want to tighten your sound up, then you'd be better off with an overdrive.

If you want to do both, you could maybe try getting both, and running them together, or use the built-in EQ on some OD's to raise or lower bass and treble frequencies.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I'd say definately go for the OD and EQ. If your not any budget get the mxr 10 band eq and a tube screamer. If your on a budget get a danelectro fish n chips eq and a digitech bad monkey.
Id get a TS.

They are wonderfull whit Hi Gain mesa's
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
i dig the tube screamer,but i wanna test drive a maxon too.I was definitely leaning towards the mxr eq's.but it is tax season so...,I THINK ITS TIME TO STRENGTHEN THE ECONOMY!
I think Ive decided on the maxon OD808 and the mxr m-108 10 band eq.any thoughts on that?
right now i have a gearlust for a boss RGE-10. its a 10 band half rack style eq but it has a footswitch jack that id like to try a momentary non latching switch with so i can hop in and out of 2 different eq settings ...as if i were playing 2 different guitars

it would be like chugga chugga chugga chugga [eq on] BUM BUM BUM!!!!! [lift foot and the eqs gone]

i know. sweet right?